When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Thats about the most ignit thing ever... how would you propose spencer get "better"? by singing in a style other than his own that suits what you like more? Would that make it better? No. No it wouldn't.

Hes an impressive vocalist once you get over your own personal bias and actually pay attention to his vocals.
I'm not saying he's a bad singer, but his voice is annoyingly high (remember, this is just my opinion), and even his agressive vocals just don't have the same power as Kidman.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Nope. I know a large number of people that like metal, and hate screaming. There's a whole lot of it that contains, you know, actual singing.

The guy hes saying is trolling is talking about spencers singing (or that kind of singing) being "offensive to metal" as opposed to just straight up screaming or angry vocals. Because that guys opinion of what is or isn't metal matters :rolleyes: oh if music were so bland as to stick to one persons narrow minded opinion of it.

@corey: Thats fine that you don't like his range, but to say they need to get a "better" vocalist when hes a damned impressive vocalist as is is just silly and ignorant.

Hes not kidman, if every single vocalist sounded as cut and dry as any one vocalist the world would be a boring place. I love the contrast between "kiddie vocals" and screams as it adds more flavor to a song than something so bland as just monotone screaming.

I still don't get people who sit around hating on music instead of just enjoying the music they enjoy. I also don't get why these same people are constantly complaining about "djent bands" as if theres these mass amount of them when theres soOOOoooOoOooooO few and none of them sound exactly the same.

Such a stupid practice... especially when it comes to periphery since they released all of their songs instrumental... :noplease:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The guy hes saying is trolling is talking about spencers singing (or that kind of singing) being "offensive to metal" as opposed to just straight up screaming or angry vocals. Because that guys opinion of what is or isn't metal matters :rolleyes: oh if music were so bland as to stick to one persons narrow minded opinion of it.

Regardless of my misinterpretation, he's voicing the opinion of a great many metal fans with that as well. From a technical aspect, I don't think much of Spencer's vox on the disc or the style in general, either, although there are a few guys who do it well. Same goes for growling/screaming, in fact - there's a few guys who do it well, and a lot that I ignore.

As far as being a troll, this whole thread is one. It's a discussion forum, and people are discussing. :lol: However, he's obviously offended YOU, so you apparently think it matters what someone says about it.

Edit: making my idea more clear FTW!

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Cookie monster/screech/growl vocals in general are pretty awful. There are a few guys who can pull it off (Opeth, Amorphis, November's Doom) but the vast majority of it is atonal, ameldodic cringe-worthy additions to what might otherwise be some badass heavy music.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Its ok to have an opinion. I was just kind of shocked by the grandness of his. :lol: Most people i know wouldn't say Spence is offensive sounding. You usually hear that about bands that growl and scream more than they sing.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No idea how a Meshuggah thread descended into a discussion about Spencer. :lol:

For myself, anytime a conversation opens up about something "ruining metal" or whatever, a post by HAUCH comes to mind:

I think some of that stuff is really brutal and effective. I don't think I'd be able to listen to it all day, but it's cool shit... In doses.

I remember an editor's quote from Revolver a few years back. It read something like "you can't swing a dead cat without hitting 150 metalcore bands". and a few years ago, that was the fucking truth! I remember when people were hating on metalcore when it was hot, just like deathcore gets hated nowadays. Whether you like it or not, it's keeping the money rollin and putting "metal" in the press.

I try to keep an open mind, I hope I can do it forever. I would hate to wake up onr day and be a cranky old, fat, tired, bitch titted dickhead who slags anything new in heavy music. I can't stand that kind of attitude, guys who claim to be "old school" and hate newer styles usually have leather pants, and play in really bad power metal bands.

So while it's not my favorite, I fully support deathcore.

While he's specifically talking about the deathcore thing, I say the same is relevant to the Mesh. or Periphery/I-hate-screaming-vocalist discussion. For myself, I try to take it all in stride. If it's got some popularity or there's a group of people that like it, I try to garner what I can from the experience even if it's not the first thing I'd pop in my tape deck. :2c:

I'm not going to hate on anybody for disliking a genre/subgenre/style, whatever. Your taste is your taste and nobody's going to take that away from you. To say that something is a "blight on metal" or that you "have no understanding" of how people can appreciate something is a *bit* of an overstatement. If you have trouble understanding why people enjoy something you don't so much, then I'd submit to you that the problem might not be everyone else. ;)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's SS.org. Every thread eventually ends in something about Periphery. :lol:

Regardless, yeah, this has meandered pretty bad, but I think we're still on topic, as this is a "bands that sound like Meshuggah" thread, which Periphery definitely fits under.

To address other stuff in your post: genre discussions are *always* going to descend into this stuff, but sweeping generalizations, while human, are probably a bit much.

Still, I can understand where he's coming from, in a way.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
@corey: Thats fine that you don't like his range, but to say they need to get a "better" vocalist when hes a damned impressive vocalist as is is just silly and ignorant.

Hes not kidman, if every single vocalist sounded as cut and dry as any one vocalist the world would be a boring place. I love the contrast between "kiddie vocals" and screams as it adds more flavor to a song than something so bland as just monotone screaming.

I still don't get people who sit around hating on music instead of just enjoying the music they enjoy. I also don't get why these same people are constantly complaining about "djent bands" as if theres these mass amount of them when theres soOOOoooOoOooooO few and none of them sound exactly the same.

Such a stupid practice... especially when it comes to periphery since they released all of their songs instrumental... :noplease:
I'm just saying I don't think his voice emits the same KIND of strength as kidman. I'm not saying he should sound exactly the same, but in my opinion his voice doesn't fit to Periphery's music, and his melody ideas are pretty lacking (not sure if he's the one who actually wrote them, but whoever did didn't do a very good job of it, considering the epicness of the music).
And how is it ignorant? I'm saying I don't think his vocals fit to the music, and they should get someone more fitting to the style. I don't think that as ignorant.
For instance: TesseracT's singer has a very similar voice to the guy from periphery, but his melodis are alot better (again, my opinion), and they fit to the more ethereal music of TesseracT better than to the more agressive music of Periphery.

Why are we arguing about this? this is just my opinion. it's not ignorant or uninformed. I bought the Periphery album, and love it to death (the guitar solo in "Racecar" is one of the BEST solos I've ever heard), and the vocalist just kinda ruins the music for me.

EDIT: oh, and I'm not talking about his growling vocals, I'm talking about his normal singing voice. that's what iritates me, and not because I hate melodical "normal" singing in metal. I just dislike his singing voice and melodies with Periphery's music.
IMO, they should get someone with a deeper, fuller voice.

EDIT:

that's because every time you say something negative about periphery you're ripped to shreds by legions of fanboys. it's the same on any other website, as well.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Yeah I never called him a troll because it doesn't get much accomplished pointing fingers.

I disagree with his (and many a metal fans) opinion that metal has to be as closed minded as them and not a form of music where people can express themselves however they want without limitations.

:rofl::rofl:

Anyway :rolleyes: I think it became a discussion about periphery because the thread was started under the idea of "bands that wannabe meshuggah" and to the people who try to point that finger periphery is probably the #1 band attacked at this point.

@corey: The thing I've been quoting the whole time is what I've been calling ignorant... you saying they need a "better" vocalist...

Said that like 3 times now...

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
@corey: The thing I've been quoting the whole time is what I've been calling ignorant... you saying they need a "better" vocalist...

Said that like 3 times now...
why is that ignorant? :scratch:
I don't think their vocalist fits, and they should get one that fits the music more. Call it "more fitting" vocalist then. I haven't been calling the guy bad, just not to my taste. "More adhering to my taste", then.

Krullnar

Reaction score

For myself, anytime a conversation opens up about something "ruining metal" or whatever, a post by HAUCH comes to mind:

While he's specifically talking about the deathcore thing, I say the same is relevant to the Mesh. or Periphery/I-hate-screaming-vocalist discussion. For myself, I try to take it all in stride. If it's got some popularity or there's a group of people that like it, I try to garner what I can from the experience even if it's not the first thing I'd pop in my tape deck. :2c:

I'm not going to hate on anybody for disliking a genre/subgenre/style, whatever. Your taste is your taste and nobody's going to take that away from you. To say that something is a "blight on metal" or that you "have no understanding" of how people can appreciate something is a *bit* of an overstatement. If you have trouble understanding why people enjoy something you don't so much, then I'd submit to you that the problem might not be everyone else. ;)

I think Periphery keeps coming up because they're an example of what's wrong, and they're huge on this site.

Sometimes personal preference is the case, but sometimes something is truly lame. When hair metal was popular, a whole lot of people knew that it sucked from day one. Some listeners are ahead of the curve. Some trends' popularity (due to the support of inexperienced listeners) can influence the direction of a genre, and possibly it's future. Just look at what hair metal did- it made metal seem lame and ushered in a huge backlash (local guitar shops would barely stock any shred guitars at all for like 5 years after Nevermind was released). We have to keep it honest.

I suppose I'm kind of equating whiny kid vocals with hair metal. I highly doubt it will have the same consequences, but still... not good.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
why is that ignorant? :scratch:
I don't think their vocalist fits, and they should get one that fits the music more. Call it "more fitting" vocalist then. I haven't been calling the guy bad, just not to my taste. "More adhering to my taste", then.

That's the problem, you think Spencer doesn't fit their music but they do. That's why he's their vocalist.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
That's the problem, you think Spencer doesn't fit their music but they do. That's why he's their vocalist.
Spencer is a group of people? :p

nah, I mean he's okay, I just think he has that really very typical whiney -core style of singing, which I just cannot stand. that's all.

Jesus, you say something bad about periphery and everyone starts calling you out. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like his singing, so just give it a rest already.

Jeez.

Krullnar

Reaction score

The vocals in Periphery is like Michael Jackson delivering Winston Churchill's 'We shall fight them on the beaches' speech.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Idon't think their vocalist fits, and they should get one that fits the music more.

You never said a group of people in your post, you said I. I have no problem with you not liking his vocal style, I'm just confused about the 2nd part of the quote.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
You never said a group of people in your post, you said I. I have no problem with you not liking his vocal style, I'm just confused about the 2nd part of the quote.
your quote: you think Spencer doesn't fit their music but they do

whois "they"? :p should it be "but he does"?it's a horrible joke, just forget it.

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
I like Meshuggah. A lot.

But I hate most bands that sound like Meshuggah.

Besides, Meshuggah was already doing cool stuff before they had 8-strings. Say, 7s. :fawk:

')