When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
the fanboyism for djent bands is incredible.
People think that just because they play an ERG their opinion matters more than other's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^Djent isn't a genre, and ERG user opinions DO matter more. :cool:

I'd disagree on both - Djent is definitely splintering into its own genre, and you can play an ERG and still be a musical moron. I personally know a couple of examples of it. :lol:

So while Corey is being grumpy, there's a grain of truth in what he's saying.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll agree to disagree, but i do have one point to make...

I believe his opinion on Djent fanboyism is relative to his environment. The punk and Indie fanboyism in my area is absurd, but in relation to any other genre (including the ones usually fellated on this very forum), its not "incredible".

Every genre has fanboys, Corey just happens to be in the forum with the highest concentration for this genre.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Sigh... ANOTHER conversation about djent as a genre... barf

I enjoy a lot of the bands that get lumped into this "genre" but at the same time I do agree that it's to the point of saturation (especially on this board). My issue is that, with most genres, you'll have a variety of bands with many things in common but with the idea of djent as a genre we've narrowed it down so much that it's inevitable that bands WILL sound "the same." It's a genre based on a specific guitar tone for Christ's sake.

MJS

Reaction score
I just accidentally bumped into one of the knobs on my amp and created an awesome new style of music called djunt, which is nothing like djent. I'd upload an example of it, but I don't want everyone to rip me off like they did with Meshuggah.

:fawk:

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
^I honestly thought they WERE Metallica when i first heard those older records. :lol:
I found some of their older songs by chance and thought "the hell, this is some cheap Metallica ripoff"

little did I know....

also, they played a song called "Attacked by a Shark". How badass is that?

Groove

Reaction score
I found some of their older songs by chance and thought "the hell, this is some cheap Metallica ripoff"

little did I know....

also, they played a song called "Attacked by a Shark". How badass is that?

HAHA awesome song! :hbang:

I don't find the whole rip-off meshuggah thing annoying so much as disappointing in a way. I know we all love certain bands but some really do just STEAL and i don't understand why you would want to just keep music at a certain level and not try and progress it.

I just think that eventually it will move on and WILL evolve into something even better. This has happened at practically every stage of music when some band/person redefined a sound or genre of music and everyone copies it, until people are pissed off and want something new so they actually go and make it themselves.

So who's going to get there first? Race you...

thefool

Reaction score
Message to Periphery, Textures, Xerath etc... : Meshuggah is still the best at being Meshuggah.

I personally find a lot of these clones uninteresting and redundant.

this is stupid. i guess only one band can ever play 8 strings. everyone lets throw our 8 strings out the window.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
this is stupid. i guess only one band can ever play 8 strings. everyone lets throw our 8 strings out the window.

You carry your name well- I think you'll find I have no obligation to conform to your point of view. I find this type of thing uninteresting, but if you feel differently about it then have at it...

geez, talk about being ostracized for giving your opinion...

By the way, if you read the initial post, you'll see that this is not a djent worship thread, but a thread discussing the merits of bands that resemble Meshuggah.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
What is the problem with being meshuggah? Do you see people bitching about the guitarist of The Strokes being Joe Perry? I don't see why internet readers get into a hissy fit when an artist sound similar to another.... :scratch:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:shrug:

I wish we had more djent players in my local scene. Then I'd have more ERG's and high-gains floating around in the local gear pool for me to buy up. :yum:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^I might be the only 7 string player in my county. :(

Also on my last bit and what randy touched on. ITs fucking similarity man! You don't walk into a crowded bar and go,

"Wow that guy shares the same interests as me. What a tool."

Then troll his Facebook page. Get some class people.

Adriatic

Reaction score
i guess my point is that bands have got to start somewhere before they mature into their own sound/style/genre... and man what better band to start off with than, meshuggah... i think the goal is to evolve yes? i cant wait to hear what my kids listen to and come up with when they grow up..

')