When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
It's SS.org. Every thread eventually ends in something about Periphery. :lol:

This. :lol:

I've found a lack of creativity in music over the last few years. What makes me sad is that when a creative band comes out like Periphery, Meshuggah, AAL, etc., a lot of people don't use it as creative inspiration to make something original, they tend to simply go, "Well, here's what it would sound like if *I* played it!"

It depresses me that I really had hope for the "Djent" genre, or not-genre, or sub-genre, or whatever. Now, I'm losing faith quickly. But it's not due to the originators, it's due to the musicians coming down the line. Everyone bitched about how all metalcore started to sound the same, and everyone jumped on the "djent" bandwagon when it came around because it was still fresh. Now, it's turning into the same overplayed stuff we were all complaining about 2 years ago.

I'm still interested to see if/how the "djent" phase progresses. It's new now, and it's a break from your run-of-the-mill metal...but I think it'll be ruined by the musicians that would rather sound like it than utilize it to create something original.

.....And that is the first and last time I will ever include myself in a "djent argument."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
So far, I've not heard nearly as many "djent" bands as I have bands in most other sub-genres of music. We have a high concentration of players who like that style of music on this board, if there are people who are truly getting tired of "djent" then my suggestion is that those people take some time away from the internet for awhile or at least this site in particular and see how often you run into "djent" bands then.

Detuned0

Reaction score
If it wasn't for this board I don't think I would even know what "djent" is, I would only hear new bands and say "They sound kinda like Meshuggah" or "They must like Meshuggah".

It's not a bad thing but I guess it depends on who you talk to. Is "djent" a widely used term?

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
You carry your name well- I think you'll find I have no obligation to conform to your point of view. I find this type of thing uninteresting, but if you feel differently about it then have at it...

geez, talk about being ostracized for giving your opinion...

By the way, if you read the initial post, you'll see that this is not a djent worship thread, but a thread discussing the merits of bands that resemble Meshuggah.

Ostracized for giving your opinion? You basically implied that "djent" bands should not write music because they draw influence from Meshuggah.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Ostracized for giving your opinion? You basically implied that "djent" bands should not write music because they draw influence from Meshuggah.

No, I said that I found it uninteresting, and that I feel that Meshuggah is still the best at doing this kind of thing. If you happen to feel differently, then that doesn't bother me in the slightest...

splinter8451

Reaction score
Message to Periphery, Textures, Xerath etc... : Meshuggah is still the best at being Meshuggah.

I personally find a lot of these clones uninteresting and redundant.

Message to Acatalepsy: Periphery, Textures, Xerath etc... Do not care what you think cause they are not TRYING to BE Meshuggah.

:wavey:

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people here can't handle a different perspective on things, and end up leaving rude feedback...

There's no need to get personal over something like this imo...

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Message to Periphery, Textures, Xerath etc... : Meshuggah is still the best at being Meshuggah.

I'm actually going to defend this post as I find the fact he was negged for it ridiculous.

Without Meshuggah, those bands wouldn't exist, simple as that it's just a fact. Meshuggah are the best at what they do not only because they invented it but because no one band has managed to scratch the surface of what they actually do. Rather, most Meshuggah-influenced bands ripoff DEI (Mnemic anyone?) and be done with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these bands (Xerath especially, they're my bros and Textures because they are fucking awesome) but they owe Meshuggah a lot and none of them are as good at being Meshuggah as Meshuggah are.

I find it insane that some people couldn't take his post objectively and instead chose to push themselves further into a cocoon of ingnorance and by negging him for something that if looked at objectively is just common sense. Coupled with the fact that he used the word 'personally'... the guy was just expressing his opinion for Christ sake. Are people on this forum really that thin skinned?

The amount of fanboyism going on in this thread is disgusting.

Common on guys, let's not alienate new posters :noplease:

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
I'm actually going to defend this post as I find the fact he was negged for it ridiculous.

Without Meshuggah, those bands wouldn't exist, simple as that it's just a fact. Meshuggah are the best at what they do not only because they invented it but because no one band has managed to scratch the surface of what they actually do. Rather, most Meshuggah-influenced bands ripoff DEI (Mnemic anyone?) and be done with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these bands (Xerath especially, they're my bros and Textures because they are fucking awesome) but they owe Meshuggah a lot and none of them are as good at being Meshuggah as Meshuggah are.

I find it insane that some people couldn't take his post objectively and instead chose to push themselves further into a cocoon of ingnorance and by negging him for something that if looked at objectively is just common sense. Coupled with the fact that he used the word 'personally'... the guy was just expressing his opinion for Christ sake. Are people on this forum really that thin skinned?

The amount of fanboyism going on in this thread is disgusting.

This whole post is quoted for eternal win.:bowdown:

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
Without Meshuggah, those bands wouldn't exist, simple as that it's just a fact.

It's not simple as that however, you don't know that those bands wouldn't have found a somewhat different style of music to play and still exist.

That's because these bands aren't Meshuggah, so naturally they won't sound as "good" as Meshuggah(what is considered to be good is entirely subjective in case you forgot). Does that make these other bands lesser artists or musicians? Not necessarily, as there are other aspects to the music of these other bands that don't apply to Meshuggah, hence they are different, not clones.

I find it insane that some people couldn't take his post objectively and instead chose to push themselves further into a cocoon of ingnorance and by negging him for something that if looked at objectively is just common sense.

Common sense does not equal universal truth. Common sense is relative to one's own experiences. It isn't born within everyone, it is learned, and not everyone contains the same amount.

splinter8451

Reaction score

:lol: he is either going to be alienated for taking the side of the djent fans or for taking the side of the djent haters there is no stopping it on here.

The comment just annoyed me because none of those bands are trying to be just like Meshuggah and I am sure they all know Meshuggah is the best at being Meshuggah. :shrug: it was an unnecessary comment in an already heated thread he could of anticipated becoming flame-bait.

And rep is not that serious :flame: anyone who posts enough NGD threads will never ever have any chance of actually showing any neg rep. He'll be fine after some new gear :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
It's not simple as that however, you don't know that those bands wouldn't have found a somewhat different style of music to play and still exist.

That's because these bands aren't Meshuggah, so naturally they won't sound as "good" as Meshuggah(what is considered to be good is entirely subjective in case you forgot). Does that make these other bands lesser artists or musicians? Not necessarily, as there are other aspects to the music of these other bands that don't apply to Meshuggah, hence they are different, not clones.

Common sense does not equal universal truth. Common sense is relative to one's own experiences. It isn't born within everyone, it is learned, and not everyone contains the same amount.

No-one likes a smartass.

I'm fully aware that said bands might still exist but sound different, but that's not the case is it? So it's irrelevant. These bands exist as they are borrowing heavily from Meshuggah.

All bands borrow heavily from their influences, some make it harder to hear the influence than others, so I'm not bagging on those bands at all and neither is Acatalepsy. No-one is saying they are lesser artists or musician and no-one is calling them clones either. What I am saying is when the influence is so clear as it is in the mentioned bands, at least some sense of legitimacy is forfeited, as chosen by the bands themselves. It might be what they write naturally, but there's always a choice.

Your condescending post is not appreciated :)

:lol: he is either going to be alienated for taking the side of the djent fans or for taking the side of the djent haters there is no stopping it on here.

The comment just annoyed me because none of those bands are trying to be just like Meshuggah and I am sure they all know Meshuggah is the best at being Meshuggah. :shrug: it was an unnecessary comment in an already heated thread he could of anticipated becoming flame-bait.

And rep is not that serious :flame: anyone who posts enough NGD threads will never ever have any chance of actually showing any neg rep. He'll be fine after some new gear :lol:

So you're feeding the fire?

Maybe he didn't read the thread, but he still made a valid point.

As for rep - it's obviously serious enough for people to use it to jump down his throat for something that really didn't warrant the fuss that was made of it.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
All bands borrow heavily from their influences, some make it harder to hear the influence than others, so I'm not bagging on those bands at all and neither is Acatalepsy. No-one is saying they are lesser artists or musicians.

This is true, a lot of those bands are more than competent as musicians, it's purely a creative gripe. Anyway, thanks to the folk who are being reasonable about this!

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
i guess my point is that bands have got to start somewhere before they mature into their own sound/style/genre... and man what better band to start off with than, meshuggah... i think the goal is to evolve yes? i cant wait to hear what my kids listen to and come up with when they grow up..

and with as many guitarists out there that are STARTING OFF with 8 strings, engl vaders, and orange cabs.... i can't even imagine what music is going to be like in the next 10, or hell even 5 years. going to be some amazing shit.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
All bands borrow heavily from their influences, some make it harder to hear the influence than others, so I'm not bagging on those bands at all and neither is Acatalepsy. No-one is saying they are lesser artists or musician and no-one is calling them clones either. What I am saying is when the influence is so clear as it is in the mentioned bands, at least some sense of legitimacy is forfeited, as chosen by the bands themselves. It might be what they write naturally, but there's always a choice.

Your condescending post is not appreciated :)

I'm not saying that anyone said that they are lesser musicians, I'm just bringing up a point. However, Acatalepsy did say:
Yeah it is his opinion, that's fine, but he is calling them clones.

I don't think it's alien that some people might get upset at statements like that because they love writing and/or playing that style of music, not because they are trying to be someone else, and when they get labeled as clones of someone else it might tick them off a bit, regardless of how heavily inspired they are or aren't by such band/artist.

Meshuggah were once upon a time labled, "Metallica" clones...
This. Let's see how redundant these Meshuggah "clones" still are in 10 years.

No-one likes a smartass.

False. I'm starting to think neither of you has listened to either band properly, because if you had we wouldn't be having this conversation. It really is as simple as that.

I'm not being rude dude but it's not really up for discussion, it's just a simple fact :shrug:

You're trying to tell me my post was condescending and then you things like this to say? I could have picked out more things you've said but the point is you speak as if you are the be all end all of conversation, that your opinion should be held as fact, when I was trying to point out some fallacies in your post which is perfectly legit in a heated debate, which means you're free to point them out in mine as well.:yesway:

DJENTxCORE901

Banned!!!
Reaction score
Just feel like stressing this.
EVERYONE HAS INFLUENCES.
One of meshuggahs original influences was metallica.
It's obvious. So what? That's how the music world progresses. Every great musician wanted to be like another great musician before him.
Just like all of the people posting here have influences. Whether it's meshuggah, periphery, the strokes, necrophagist, nickelback, or whatever.
Nothing is onehundred percent original.
But it is dissapointing when people truly copy their influences instead of figuring out how to push it further. That's why more people should get guitar lessons. Too many bands in every genre end up copying their influences. It's not a meshuggah thing only. That may be most noticable on this website.
Acatalepsy, and scar symmetry have compelling points as do many of the people on this thread. But some people are taking too much offense. CHILL :flex:

Jay Jay

The Djent Plane
Reaction score
Guys, let's not forget, if it weren't for Black Sabbath, there wouldn't be music at all ever.
Just sayin'.

</troll>

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
*waits for someone to defend slavery because it ended up creating the roots for rock music, so this thread can be closed*

Soulwomb

Reaction score
Show one example of an ATB song and a Meshuggah song that are similar for more than just a small part of the song...

All I hear from Meshuggah is stuff like this:

5 minutes of chugging and yelling with basically no melody at all.

Um have you ever heard there song Ritual?

Lots of melody and even clean vocals at times. :lol: sorry I don't mean to come off as a dick dude i just read that post and was :scratch:.

But on the whole bands using meshuggah thing is who cares yeah you can hear it, but its all about the grooves I say.

I mean come on may have a meshuggah feel to it but it's so groovy.

')