When bands sound like Meshuggah...

• Thread starter Meshuggah89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
....necrobump!

but since this thread got rez'd I guess I'll chime in.

i think if you play 8s, chances are your going to sound a little bit like meshuggah even though you might not be trying to

Errr, no. I play an 8 and I don't really get into Meshuggah at all. They and Tool are two bands I can only stand in very small doses.

...but since I have an extra high string instead of an extra low one, maybe I don't count. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I just like the grooving. However, I do agree this whole "djent" thing is seemingly becoming redundant and bland.

Late to the party, but I spy will my little eye something that begins with Troll :lol:

I was listening to After The Burial in my car the other day and I remembered that somewhere in this thread someone tried to argue that they didn't sound like Meshuggah... needless to say I burst out laughing.

Reaction score
Every time I read the word "djent" on this forum, I want to do physical harm to whoever concerned. It's just getting way too much, every bloody thread ends up referring to it - mostly by people who don't understand the usage of the word. I hope it dies down pretty soon and I can carry on listening to offtime music in peace without the kids who liked deathcore last year and metalcore the year before ramming that word down my throat.

Ok, I'm a grumpy sod this morning but does no-one else feel this?

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Every time I read the word "djent" on this forum, I want to do physical harm to whoever concerned. It's just getting way too much, every bloody thread ends up referring to it - mostly by people who don't understand the usage of the word. I hope it dies down pretty soon and I can carry on listening to offtime music in peace without the kids who liked deathcore last year and metalcore the year before ramming that word down my throat.

You've just described the sentiments of 50% of this forum :lol:

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score

:bowdown:

Peteus

Reaction score
I remember when I was reading about what Djent ment which was a heavy tight distorted guitar using 4 strings or more playing very tight cords. However it seams to have become a genre which rarely using this technique and instead uses single explosive notes, poly rhythm using the same heavy bottom end tone and generally mixed in with a bit of technical odd stuff.
However I guess I like the music however I find the term a bit odd that everybody says that djent bands copied Meshuggah whereas quite a few have taken influence from metalcore, deathcore, math metal thrash and other genres. Who cares what your influence are, people should write music they like and listen to music they want to.
I find that nobody actually sounds like Meshuggah due to the huge lacking in proper death growls and the right kinda feel. Closest was uneven structure with 8 however their is still something missing.
I think give it a few years and djent will the a thing of the past and people will look back on it saying do you remember that tone from the 2010s, like every other tone of past days.
I guess lets stop complaining about it I like Meshuggah, I like some bands from the Djent genre and I like alot of extreme, brutal death metal, metalcore, classical, drum and bass and deathcore and so on.

People who hate djent get over it and just go, oh well and get on with it and stop complaining how is just a phase and its all shitty scene kids, for its not. Guys/gals who get off on djent fucking calm down and listen around to more music and stop cumming over every 23/16 timing for their is other music which you may like and ignore the grumpy "its a all so scene kids" bastards. For everybody who sits in the middle not giving a shit and getting on with your life enjoying music keep it up.

OwainXerath

Player of Notes
Reaction score
I've not read this whole thread, so sorry if I repeat anything.

Xerath wouldn't be Xerath if Meshuggah weren't around. It's not their sound that we try to take influence from, but the ethos behind their music. Atonality has a huge place within metal, and you CAN deviate from having a strong first beat. If you can take influence from someone loosely, do, don't just copy them!

theowlman666

Reaction score
if you think after the burial sounds like meshuggah youre crazy atb is waaayyy more melodic. now i love both bands. and the similarities are they both tune low as .... as use 8 strings. and are heavy. BUT they do not sound alike at all. listen to nine summers by after the burial than demuirge by meshuggah and tell they sound they same lol

theowlman666

Reaction score
haha i use the term as a joke but i never seariously use it bewcause youre right its just metal progression metal. djent is a sound not a genre!

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I remember when I was reading about what Djent ment which was a heavy tight distorted guitar using 4 strings or more playing very tight cords. However it seams to have become a genre which rarely using this technique and instead uses single explosive notes, poly rhythm using the same heavy bottom end tone and generally mixed in with a bit of technical odd stuff.
However I guess I like the music however I find the term a bit odd that everybody says that djent bands copied Meshuggah whereas quite a few have taken influence from metalcore, deathcore, math metal thrash and other genres. Who cares what your influence are, people should write music they like and listen to music they want to.
I find that nobody actually sounds like Meshuggah due to the huge lacking in proper death growls and the right kinda feel. Closest was uneven structure with 8 however their is still something missing.
I think give it a few years and djent will the a thing of the past and people will look back on it saying do you remember that tone from the 2010s, like every other tone of past days.
I guess lets stop complaining about it I like Meshuggah, I like some bands from the Djent genre and I like alot of extreme, brutal death metal, metalcore, classical, drum and bass and deathcore and so on.

People who hate djent get over it and just go, oh well and get on with it and stop complaining how is just a phase and its all shitty scene kids, for its not. Guys/gals who get off on djent ....ing calm down and listen around to more music and stop cumming over every 23/16 timing for their is other music which you may like and ignore the grumpy "its a all so scene kids" bastards. For everybody who sits in the middle not giving a shit and getting on with your life enjoying music keep it up.

Seriously, let's just all be friends.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Seriously, let's not necro twofour year old threads as our first two posts.

Did you actually register just to argue about djent?

Last edited:

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
I don't get the obsession to sit down and clone your fav band. When I really like a band, it pumps me up to write my own stuff. Not to sit down and learn their song that they made. It seems like all these bands who claim they don't sound like Meshuggah also have YouTube videos of themselves covering like all their songs. Same with the Tosin worship. Grab your sword and cut a head off your own ....ing dragon, don't stay in your basement and play WoW. Be your own awesome band. Necrothreeeaaaddd Scooorrrreeeee.

Latest posts

')