When did a new isp decimator come out?

• Thread starter Mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Well it sucks. It's no different than the decimator II g string. It's nothing like a key gate and does not track in a manner that I consider tracking i.e. like Zuul's/Zuul clones. To get a nice tight stacatto, start stop gating, you need to crank it to the -30, -20db setting (noon-1:00), but in doing so you get noticeable signal dregradation and those settings cause sputtering/instant cutting off of sustained notes as they fade out. So no the decimator x g string does not perfectly handle staccato and sustain through some intelligent detection. It's pretty much pick one or the other.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Well it sucks. It's no different than the decimator II g string. It's nothing like a key gate and does not track in a manner that I consider tracking i.e. like Zuul's/Zuul clones. To get a nice tight stacatto, start stop gating, you need to crank it to the -30, -20db setting (noon-1:00), but in doing so you get noticeable signal dregradation and those settings cause sputtering/instant cutting off of sustained notes as they fade out. So no the decimator x g string does not perfectly handle staccato and sustain through some intelligent detection. It's pretty much pick one or the other.

Sad to hear it's not an improvement with that kind of configuration. I've never tried any "key" or 4CM gates like the Zuul or G-String since I've always gotten the results I want from two separate regular Decimator II pedals in different spots in my chain.

I do have to either kick the first one off or stand right near my cabinets to get super long sustain, but that hasn't been a huge hurdle since I've got different overdrive/gate combinations set up in midi presets on my switcher :2c:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Pretty much, but this is exactly how 99.9% of gates work. You can still get tight response out of them, but they perform best when staged and balanced to do so. If the gate is doing its job you're going to have signal modulation, not degradation, but it doesn't sound good so you're definitely not wrong in reality. If you want the surgical double/triple knee gate like they use in djent (now synonymous with modern metal tones), that is.

The four cable method is the best compromise in my opinion, but you need a two channel or two single gates. It cleans up both the raw guitar and loop just a little so you're not washing a ton of the harmonics from both while the loop still drones in every silence. There is still some noticeable signal change- but you won't get that underwhelming pseudo-pure tone alteration to the timbre of the rig nearly as terribly.

Latest posts

')