When did you first learn how to sweep pick?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Frank's first big instructional CD hit the shelves locally when I had been playing around 9 months or so and of course I had to learn it straight away - I'm still shite at it but that's through a lack of originality and effort on my part rather than for any other reason :lol:

I think the biggest problem is that without some degree of application it locks you into a sound that does immediately remind one of a host of other players, however as a technique it certainly rewards experimentation whilst trying to discover a personal approach.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
I never did, went through a brief phase of wanting to, but then I started playing mostly doom and black-thrash and realised that I didn't actually need to.

Yeah, I'm a lazy guitar player, I should probably fix that some day...

Static

Reaction score
I've been playing for nearly 8 years now and i started learning sweeps around mid 07. started with PG's intense rock sequence 1 where he showed some basic major triad shapes.my sweep picking has been doing well since then and lately I've been focusing on 7 string arpeggios.

avenger

Reaction score
Sweeping is the thorn in my side. Never been able to get them to a point where I feel they are shredd worthy. Then again I am not that big into shred so it doesnt bother me that I cant sweep at 3 billion bpm.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I've been playing for 4 years, and just learned to sweep pick 2 years ago. What inspired me to learn how to sweep pick was that sweep in we bow in it's aura by veil of maya:yesway:

I started with 3 string sweeps, then 4, then 5, then 6, and now I can do 7 string sweeps pretty cleanly but in only one shape:lol:

Brierley

Reaction score
Oh how I wish that was the story here.:lol: My local scene is full of technical death metal bands that are really good. Look up the band Allegaeon, they are from my area. A Sonnet To Silence is local and really good. So is the band Ruins of Tomorrow. Yeah...here you are either generic death core (wanna be Whitechapel basically) or extremely talented technical music. There is NO in between.:wallbash::lol::shred:

I wish that's how it was here. We have a few crappy deathcore bands, but there are practically NO technical metal bands here. Well, at least no good ones, or ones that I know about. It sucks because most of the bands here settle for mediocrity and practically worship it. I don't think they would recognize real talent in local music if it were staring them in the face. I will definitely check those guys out though!

Brierley

Reaction score
I've been playing for 4 years, and just learned to sweep pick 2 years ago. What inspired me to learn how to sweep pick was that sweep in we bow in it's aura by veil of maya:yesway:

I started with 3 string sweeps, then 4, then 5, then 6, and now I can do 7 string sweeps pretty cleanly but in only one shape:lol:

Veil of Maya...I love them. Marc Okubo is such an insanely talented guitarist. Some of their songs aren't too difficult, but it's the fucking speed that kills me.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I started a few years ago, never liked it though. Then I found out about Petrucci and Morse just picking everything. I like that a lot better, you have control over where the accents are. A much better way, to my ear. Sweeping picking is more textural as you can't really accentuate anything in the middle, good for shredding ,not for melody I find.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
good for shredding ,not for melody I find.

Not entirely fair...

Isn't sweep picking technically just all up or all down strokes across several strings? Can't you do that at any speed you choose and pick your note groupings accordingly to still accent what you like?

I'm almost certain Tosin Abasi has a vid on youtube where he talks about accenting notes in arpeggios and he appears to be sweeping slowly through an arpeggio (he may not be sweeping it, but that's what it looks like so forgive me if I'm mistaken).

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A long time ago, probably in the '86-'87. I didn't get serious about it until I saw Skolnick do it in '87, though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Not entirely fair...

Isn't sweep picking technically just all up or all down strokes across several strings? Can't you do that at any speed you choose and pick your note groupings accordingly to still accent what you like?

I'm almost certain Tosin Abasi has a vid on youtube where he talks about accenting notes in arpeggios and he appears to be sweeping slowly through an arpeggio (he may not be sweeping it, but that's what it looks like so forgive me if I'm mistaken).

No sweeping picking is not all up or all down strokes, it is 1 single stroke in 1 direction. That is what constitutes the sweep. You don't use multiple strokes. You could break it up a bit using multiple strokes to accent, but that is no longer a single sweep, more like using economy picking. What I mean is level control, You just can't get the drastic differences between notes you can get with alternate picking with either economy or sweep pickup. To get a sharper/louder sound you need to pick that one individual note harder/faster so to speak, I have never seen anyone successfully do it during a sweep (although if anyone can, a guy like Tosin would be it). Couldn't tell you, I don't really listen to Tosin's stuff.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
A long time ago, probably in the '86-'87. I didn't get serious about it until I saw Skolnick do it in '87, though.

:bowdown:

This man was sweeping when I was still just a thought in my parents' head... Damn son...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
No sweeping picking is not all up or all down strokes, it is 1 single stroke in 1 direction. That is what constitutes the sweep. You don't use multiple strokes. You could break it up a bit using multiple strokes to accent, but that is no longer a single sweep, more like using economy picking. What I mean is level control, You just can't get the drastic differences between notes you can get with alternate picking with either economy or sweep pickup. To get a sharper/louder sound you need to pick that one individual note harder/faster so to speak, I have never seen anyone successfully do it during a sweep (although if anyone can, a guy like Tosin would be it). Couldn't tell you, I don't really listen to Tosin's stuff.

Fair enough. What Tosin did in his video was more akin to economy picking by your definition. I'd equated all of the picking being in one direction to just be one "stroke" since you don't change directions, but I see what you mean as well.

septurion

Reaction score
yea I just about a month ago got my ltd viper 417 its a great guitar but I don't quit like the feel(reason I hate ordering guitars online). It's very bulky heavy and doesn't balance well.

that's an issue with all vipers. to rectify that, you should just move the strap button to the horn (or have a pro do it for you...should only take 5 minutes and cost 5-10 bucks).

vices like vipers

Reaction score
I started sweeping abouut 7 months ago (I've been only playing for almost 2 years now.)
Oh Sleeper, and The Crimson Armada are what inspired me to learn.
I think the only thing thats holding me back now, is the guitar that I'm using. It doesn't sound as clean as when I play on my friends les pual. I think it's the pickups, they are stock single coils in a Richmond Guitar Works Telecaster.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^

Single coils are harder to play cleanly on than humbuckers. If you play cleanly on singles though, you are super human on humbuckers. You can get away with murder on humbuckers.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I still haven't learned to. I'm just incapable of synchronizing my left and right hands it seems. Playing slow, with a metronome, everything.
When I do sweep I usually pull a Satch and use my picking hand to mute the neck. It's not really sweep picking then is it? Just legato arpeggios...

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I still haven't learned to. I'm just incapable of synchronizing my left and right hands it seems. Playing slow, with a metronome, everything.
When I do sweep I usually pull a Satch and use my picking hand to mute the neck. It's not really sweep picking then is it? Just legato arpeggios...

I love mystical potato head groove. That style sounds awesome, but I haven't seen him use it anywhere else. He doesn't sweep much, crushing day has a bit of it I think (and it's blistering). :lol:

As I said, I don't like sweeping, but it is hard to argue with another tool in your toolbox. I am most natural when hybrid picking.

Latest posts

')