When guitars and lasers unite >>>

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Apparently this was at NAMM, filed under new but not noteworthy :)

From the manufacturer website:

http://m3i-technologies.com/

Pitch Detection 2.0

The patent-protected LPD™ (Laser Pitch Detection) is an exciting new state of the art, breakthrough technology pitch detection system, which is able to sense the pitch of a forthcoming tone before a string is plucked by a finger or a pick. The maximum length of a guitar string, between the bridge and the nut, determines its deepest note. By shortening the string with a finger or another object along the fingerboard, higher notes are generated. The LPD™ system measures in real-time, precisely the distance between the bridge and the shortening object. It uses this information to calculate the frequency of the note that will be played.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
Things like this are usually pretty silly... But that's a pretty cool idea. What does it do if you palm mute and stuff? Seems like your palm would block the beams.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
So just a midi trigger with laser instead of a midi trigger with pitch, or frets being directly wired?

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I think it's cool. As a guitarist I like that guitars are getting better at doing midi stuff.

I can not play a keyboard like I can play a guitar.

I don't see it catching on though as guitarists are fucking Luddites.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I think it's cool. As a guitarist I like that guitars are getting better at doing midi stuff.

Well I'm no Luddite, but this isn't a real practical application. I rarely have all of my fingers not touching any strings while I play. They're usually resting on the strings (left and right hand) so the beam would be routinely blocked. I think it would take quite a bit of practice to get used to it. I'm all for midi translation from a guitar. Just not sure this is the best way.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score

I'm actually about equally skilled on the piano/keyboard as I am on guitar. actually, maybe a touch better on the keyboard, regardless, this has my interest. :)

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm no Luddite, but this isn't a real practical application. I rarely have all of my fingers not touching any strings while I play. They're usually resting on the strings (left and right hand) so the beam would be routinely blocked. I think it would take quite a bit of practice to get used to it. I'm all for midi translation from a guitar. Just not sure this is the best way.

Not the slickest website in the world, but from what I read the lasers are under the strings and shouldn't be affected by whether your hands touch the strings as you play.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Not the slickest website in the world, but from what I read the lasers are under the strings and shouldn't be affected by whether your hands touch the strings as you play.

Ah, well that would make it totally different than I thought. In that case I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. This could be really cool for ERGs and basses, since the low frequency causes a lot of latency for pitched based converters.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, well that would make it totally different than I thought. In that case I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. This could be really cool for ERGs and basses, since the low frequency causes a lot of latency for pitched based converters.

A lot of that I gather is subsonics caused by piezos, at least with the GR-55, which doesn't support outside regular range (but can do bass) as far as I know.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This would be awesome with some lightwave pickups. Someone should spend $$$$$ to buy a piezo, an optical pickup, a magnetic hexaphonic and this and see which tracks the best. I'll do it if someone donates the pickups :)

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
This would be awesome with some lightwave pickups. Someone should spend $$$$$ to buy a piezo, an optical pickup, a magnetic hexaphonic and this and see which tracks the best. I'll do it if someone donates the pickups :)

I've got half of those, and a store nearby has a couple Lightwave guitars, but I don't think they have 13-pin output.

')