When I take my finger off the string it sounds like a pulloff

• Thread starter vladm1994
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vladm1994

Guitar Newbie
Reaction score
hi again guys. my problem is that which is said in the title. it's annoying for some songs such as seek and destroy (you know the part played after "runnin', on our way, hidin, etc" . i have looked on google for answers but people say it's just pyhsics. if so, how do I deal with this problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steve1

Reaction score
Mute the string with your picking hand and/or fingers on your fretting hand that aren't busy

TelosHedge

Enjoys Chicken.
Reaction score
this is normal stuff, and not just for beginners. muting is a long drawn out process and takes time. some of the more 'inclined' players will develop their own muting skills almost automatically and subconsciously, which makes the learning curve of guitar that much better. for the rest of us, well, sometimes you just have to slow down to extremes and figure out what's ringing out and how to stop it.

i still suffer from the occasional 'extra' notes that i dont mean to play - damn open strings! just slow your riff down and see where you can fit your hand in to mute the offensive string. remember as a guitar player you will need to get good at muting with both hands - sometimes at the same time. don't be afraid to try new techniques, but don't get too wacky - the process needs to be simple enough to do on the fly.

best of luck!

BrianUV777BK

Riffmiester General
Reaction score
this is normal stuff, and not just for beginners. muting is a long drawn out process and takes time. some of the more 'inclined' players will develop their own muting skills almost automatically and subconsciously, which makes the learning curve of guitar that much better. for the rest of us, well, sometimes you just have to slow down to extremes and figure out what's ringing out and how to stop it.

i still suffer from the occasional 'extra' notes that i dont mean to play - damn open strings! just slow your riff down and see where you can fit your hand in to mute the offensive string. remember as a guitar player you will need to get good at muting with both hands - sometimes at the same time. don't be afraid to try new techniques, but don't get too wacky - the process needs to be simple enough to do on the fly.

best of luck!

Yea, what he said....

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
ElasticHairTieMetalFree10.jpg

No, it's not cheating.

flyboy463

Community Retard
Reaction score
When I first began playing I had this problem pretty bad. Turned out that if I just let go of the string too fast it sounded like a pull-off. Hell my Ibby still does this when I just lightly lift my fingers off the strings.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
You can't rely on headbands for everything you play. So you shouldn't suggest headbands as an easy fix.

I wasn't, really.
OP, it just takes practice and experimentation with muting, as everyone else has said.
Only resort to string dampers if you absolutely have too. I only use them for sweeps, and even then only when I attempt faster passages.
They're legitimate solutions though, especially for convenience when recording.

Kahless

Reaction score
This sounds ridiculous at first, but you can learn to mute the string with your left hand fretting fingers as you move them off of the string.
You can practice doing this, initially with individual fingers; Push a string down, the as the first step, lift your finger to the point where the string lies straight, but your finger is still on it. The second step is to then move your finger off of the string, without moving the string*.
The first step mutes the string, as your finger absorbs energy from it, but doesn't move itself off until sufficient vibrational energy has been absorbed.

*Sometimes it also helps to move your finger along the string (lengthways) the tiniest (and i mean tiniest) bit - This breaks up the cohesion between your skin and the string, allowing them to seperate cleanly.

After getting used to this with individual fingers, you can move onto chords/groups of fingers. This muting technique can be done to a very high standard of speed (as fast as anyone needs)

Another exercise which helps with this is to practice playing so lightly that you are simply touching the strings, and not even pushing them down. This teaches you how it should feel when the string has come to rest, and also gives your fingers the strength to do the first part of the exercise above.

You can also sometimes use the index finger of the left hand, resting it along the strings to mute them.

And as mentioned, you can mute with the right hand - Getting good with the left hand muting technique can take a wee while, so its good to use a variety of techniques to get a good sound straight away (right hand muting is also good for the timing chops)

The left hand muting is essential for alot of sweeping and two-handed playing - It can't really be used instead of palm muting for metal riffs though as it mutes things down too quite.

Also, ala Piccolo from DBZ, i would suggest practicing these techniques with high action to make yourself stronger, and low action to ensure finesse.
Recording/performing with hairbands is fine, but practicing without can allow your with hairband sound to be the best it can be.

TelosHedge

Enjoys Chicken.
Reaction score
Recording/performing with hairbands is fine, but practicing without can allow your with hairband sound to be the best it can be.

i read this and i thought 'what the fuck do hairbands have to do with all this???'

Nitro.jpg

ANYWAY...

i like what the previous poster mentioned - the process of practicing with a super light touch can be VERY rewarding. my teacher used to make me run scales in the fashion of 'buzzy' notes - remember when you first started and you tried to play a note, and you had almost enough pressure fretted so you could a hear a vague shitty version of the note you wanted? he would make me run scales like that if i could. the goal was to understand how much pressure you actually needed to fret a note, which is obviously only a tiny bit more than that 'buzzy' amount. could be worth while to do in the opposite direction for muting!

shadscbr

Reaction score
Considering note duration was never something I thought much about until the mid 90's when I got a book of Hedges transcriptions with the best notation i've ever seen. Here is an example page

HedgesNotation.jpg

As you can see, the red lines show how long Mr Hedges intended each note to ring out. Seeing it visually has helped me think about this concept with everything I write and play. For me, it added whole new level of concentration to my practice routine. I wish more music was transcribed with this detail. :)

good luck!

Shad

TelosHedge

Enjoys Chicken.
Reaction score
Considering note duration was never something I thought much about until the mid 90's when I got a book of Hedges transcriptions with the best notation i've ever seen. Here is an example page

HedgesNotation.jpg

As you can see, the red lines show how long Mr Hedges intended each note to ring out. Seeing it visually has helped me think about this concept with everything I write and play. For me, it added whole new level of concentration to my practice routine. I wish more music was transcribed with this detail. :)

good luck!

Shad

WOW what a brilliant idea.

thank you mr hedges - stolen! :lol:

')