When is a bias needed?

nrwoodman

Reaction score
Hey the used amp I'm getting needs new tubes, it has ruby 6l6's, i was just wondering if i get a different brand tube, but still 6l6, will i need to bias my amp?
Oh and the amp was biased about 6 months ago with the rubys in it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on the amp, but typically yes, you'll need to re-bias it when you get new tubes.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Unless you get tubes that are the same type (6L6) and have the same rating as those that are in your amp, it's a good idea to bias them.

nrwoodman

Reaction score
cool, I researched into how to bias an amp yourself it seems pretty straight forward, any links where i'd be able to get that tool that they use for biasing?

its a 5150 btw.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
cool, I researched into how to bias an amp yourself it seems pretty straight forward, any links where i'd be able to get that tool that they use for biasing?

its a 5150 btw.

I'm assuming it's bias modded then? Because you can't bias a 5150 unless it's been modded.

Search on eBay for a bias probe, you can get cheap ones that plug into any multimeter so you don't have to pay a fortune for a Weber. Make sure you get one that reads plate voltage as well.