When should I buy a 7-String?

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I‘ve been playing for 2 years now and because many of my favorite guitar players I want to be able to play their stuff at some point. Where should I be skillwise to buy a 7-String?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You can buy a 7 to start on if you wanted, skill has absolutely nothing to do with buying gear.

If you want a 7 and you have money, go buy a 7.

If you want recommendations on good 7’s at x price, we’ll need a budget and country (some guitars are harder to find in some countries).

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some money saved at the moment and thinking about getting a custom built from Caesarhandmadeguitars in Vienna, Austria

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Do not buy a custom 7 as your first 7, or first any guitar for that matter. Even for folks with many 7s that can be a crap shoot unless you've been paying attention for a while and know what you want. Right now, you don't even know if you want a 7 at all. Grab something off the rack and see if you even like living with it first.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have some money saved at the moment and thinking about getting a custom built from Caesarhandmadeguitars in Vienna, Austria
Yep 100% dont be custom ordering anything yet. I’ve been to Vienna, there’s a couple nice stores that will have guitars worth buying. Time to go try some.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do not buy a custom 7 as your first 7, or first any guitar for that matter. Even for folks with many 7s that can be a crap shoot unless you've been paying attention for a while and know what you want. Right now, you don't even know if you want a 7 at all. Grab something off the rack and see if you even like living with it first.
Yeah, going custom is a bad idea before you know what you want. There's so many 7 string options now that there's almost no point unless your some kind of weirdo like me that wants something no one makes.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, going custom is a bad idea before you know what you want. There's so many 7 string options now that there's almost no point unless your some kind of weirdo like me that wants something no one makes.
Didnt Warmoth have it though ;)

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for specific models then?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Used Prestiges are decent buys, or 2000-2010 LTD/ESP. It's kind of a trope around here to suggest used Prestige guitars, they're historically a no brainer for 7 string players. I'd suggest going to a music store and playing some different guitars from the big makers, and then going with a 7 string of that model if available. The neck and pickups will probably be the two most consequential parameters from the jump, but you can change pickups. Find one you think is comfortable or sounds really good. There's nothing more daunting about a 7 string compared to a 6, folks can start on a 6/7/8 without disadvantaging themselves greatly as long as they practice the same proper form with whatever it is.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@EliasFriedl If you are brand new to the forum: Prestige = Ibanez Prestige line. You can also start sub 1000€ with a "normal" Ibanez 7 string.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used Prestiges are decent buys, or 2000-2010 LTD/ESP. It's kind of a trope around here to suggest used Prestige guitars, they're historically a no brainer for 7 string players. I'd suggest going to a music store and playing some different guitars from the big makers, and then going with a 7 string of that model if available. The neck and pickups will probably be the two most consequential parameters from the jump, but you can change pickups. Find one you think is comfortable or sounds really good. There's nothing more daunting about a 7 string compared to a 6, folks can start on a 6/7/8 without disadvantaging themselves greatly as long as they practice the same proper form with whatever it is.
Scale length is also a thing. I'd usually say try something 25.5" and 26.5" to see if the slightly longer scale bothers you (it bothers me.)

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would suggest trying an Ibanez RG7321 or 7421. Pretty basic 7 string guitar with a hard tail and in my experience they're usually a safe bet on being good quality. They sound decent stock but are easy to upgrade since there many pickups that work will drop in.... Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan have many options, and they're even cheaper used.

A cheaper option would be a Gio 7 string.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

So you have never tried a seven, you don't even know if you will like them, or what would you want out of them, but are considering ordering a custom? :nuts:

Just get a Jackson JS22-7, RG7321 or similar. If you like it then evaluate where to go from there.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the usual sevenstring.org saying? Buy a used Prestige, right? :lol:

You mentioned Austria? If you're within reach of Thomann you could go the budget route and get a cheap Harley Benton 7-string to see if you like it?
Other than that - used market I guess? :shrug:

')