Where can I buy tuners for a 4x2 headstock?

mgcasella

Reaction score
Firstly, I hope I posted this in the right section :ugh:

I am about to do a complete overhaul of an OLP MM5 baritone I got off eBay a short time ago. The only thing I'm stuck on is the tuners. I want to keep costs down so I'm going with non-locking tuners and I figure Grovers would do the trick quite nicely (I've always loved how solid they are, along with their 18:1 gear ratio).

Does anyone know where I could buy tuners for the 4x2 headstock, or just single ones so I could build a set? Important: The head is compact so the tuners have to be able to fit in tight spaces (as an example, I tried out some Grover Full-size Rotomatics and they were too big).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Get Sperzels... they're reversable. Do any configuration you want. There's a video on YouTube that shows you how to reverse them.

mgcasella

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the help so far!

I knew about the Gotoh tuners at Warmoth but was hoping I'd be able to find a source for the Grovers. They are pretty cheap (even with shipping it's only $36.00 :metal:) so I guess I may end up going with them.

I had no idea the Sperzels were reversible and I'm glad I know; however, they are a little more than I want to spend :ugh:

Unless something happens with the Grovers, it looks like I'm ordering the Gotohs.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any dealer should be able to get you any combination of left and right tuners you need. Just e-mail them.

Rusti

Reaction score
I already bought tuners directly from sperzel, they can ship all the combinations you need. 6 tuners will be about 50/60$ i guess.
I payed 72$ incuding worldwide shipping for 3 left + 4 right golden wich costs a bit more than others.

mgcasella

Reaction score
i´m doing the same type of thing to the same guitar, so this is useful info for me :D

lol :lol:

That reminds me: I called a local music store today and asked them about getting me tuners for a 4x2 headstock. They said they would call Grover and check it out for me. If they can't do it then there is a high-end guitar store in my area that I can contact next.

The full-size Grovers will not fit the headstock (barely) so I am sure some Midsize Rotomatics will do the trick. I will keep everyone updated - especially Morten :agreed:

mgcasella

Reaction score
Got a call today from the guitar store and they said that couldn't buy single Grovers and that they'd have to buy two sets :ugh:

I'm going to call a high-end guitar store in my town. They have actual luthiers that work there full-time so I bet I'll have better luck with them. This store can be annoying but if anyone in the area can do this then I'm sure they can.

I'm already putting in a large order with Stew-Mac so, if this doesn't pan out, I can always add some single Gotohs to my order.

mgcasella

Reaction score
Visited a high-end guitar store in my area yesterday and they did not even bother trying to contact Grover to see if they could break up the sets, or get singles :noplease: However, I bet if I was in the middle of buying one of their Grosh guitars or Dr. Z amps they would have figured out a way :nutkick:

I also called Stew-Mac and they said they couldn't do the same thing, either.

If anyone knows of a dealer who will work with me then please post it.

If this doesn't work out then, no big deal, I'll just order the single Schaller-style Gotohs from Stew-Mac :metal:

Latest posts