Where Can I Find A Neck-Thru Guitar?

• Thread starter RLG167
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RLG167

Reaction score
hi peoples, so a couple days ago I got a custom shop Dean Vendetta 4.0 with neck-thru construction and EMG 81 and 85 active pickups. Out of my 6 guitars, this is now my favorite, despite how I previously thought about Deans being slightly more on the beginner side of the spectrum. So besides ordering another expensive custom, is there any company that makes a production model of neck-thru guitars? The customs are a bit pricey, so I'm looking for something I can go into a store and grab off a rack. I knot Ibanez used to have the RGT series, but its discontinued. And does anyone know if PRS has neck-thru? This may be a tricky one, but I don't really want to spend more than about $1,500.
Thanks, RG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
ESP Horizons are neck through
esp-horizon-nt-ii_5.jpg

Ibanez now has new RGT's coming out
Electric Guitars RG - RGIT20FE Iron Label | Ibanez guitars
RGIT20FE_NTF_1P_01.png

Schecter has the Banshee Elite
banshee-elite-6-gnat-copy.png

Jackson has the soloist's which are all neck thru
5da11aac887038b3917efc0183fd126e.png

My Dominion is also neck thru
3311_Jackson_Mark_Morton_Dominion_River_Bed_XN0000100628_a.jpg

There is a ton of LTD neck thru's and various other models from all of these companies. Carvin will also build semi-custom Neck Thru's for less than your budget if you don't go toooo crazy with the online builder

bouVIP

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain PRS doesn't have any neck-thrus in production.

Definitely check out the ESP Horizons!! I'm a huge fan of neck-thrus and the ESP Horizon is the best model with that construction imo.

If you go used, you could definitely find one for under $1500

RLG167

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually called up the local guitar shop because they're licensed Ibanez dealers because I saw the Iron Label RG online the other day, and they said they could get it for me for a little under $1,000 (plus tax). I just wanted to see what else was out there, but I'll probably get the Ibanez if I can get it that cheap. They also told me they had a neck-thru Schecter Blackjack used for $350, but it's probably gone by now.
Below I put some pics of my Vendetta, and the Roadrunner case I got with it.
Enjoy
:worth:

RLG167

Reaction score
I got a PM about a Jackson someone is selling. I'm not in the marker really right now because I just got this guitar, but I sent you a PM back with a trade offer. I'm writing on here because I don't remember the screenname.
RG

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
BC Rich has been doing relatively inexpensive neckthrus since the 80s.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
CArvin has a bunch of neck through models. You can't go and pick it up off a shelf, though.

s4tch

Reaction score
For $1500, you can get a couple of SLSMG's :lol: I've had and played Carvins before, they are terrific guitars, the stainless steel fretwork is generally flawless on them, but if you really want an inexpensive, nice neckthru instrument, that's an SLSMG for me. Those were made in Japan, full mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard, moderately thin, round, super comfy neck, simple HH pickup config, what else do you need. Call me a fanboy, I am.

Mine:
slsmg_10.jpg

With other finishes:
SLSMGR8.jpg

JACK291-0104-876b.jpg

wJhfQ.jpg

RLG167

Reaction score
BC Rich has been doing relatively inexpensive neckthrus since the 80s.
I know one of their first Mockingbirds was a neck-thru with a natural finish, but I've had BC Rich guitars, and they seem to get a little sloppy in quality on anything less than like $1,700.

RLG167

Reaction score
Carvin, Carvin, Carvin, or maybe a Carvin if you're feeling saucy.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you like PRS, am I right? :lol: Just kidding. Obviously you like Jackson. By the way, what are you carving? I'm just messing with ya, bud. :D I've never played a Carvin, but I've heard they're good. I don't usually buy guitars online unless I've tried one out first. The last one I bought online was my Jackson JS32Q, but the day before I ordered it I was in Guitar Center and tried one out first.

jonsick

Reaction score
I wouldn't quite use "neckthru" as the defining spec. I have bolt ons which sound vastly superior to a lot of neckthru guitars I sold on and don't regret! I fully believe (influenced initially by another member here) that the Kramer Baretta reissues are just superb guitars. Resonant, beatuful neck and just all round brilliant for the money.

I wasn't impressed with the Ibanez RGT series. They just sounded dead. However the newer Jackson SL2 did surprise me. One of my students has one and it's a great little fiddle! I wouldn't trade my SL2Hs for one, but for an import guitar it would be on the top of my list for sure!

RLG167

Reaction score
I played a Charvel at the store today and I can't tell exactly what it is. Its shaped like a neck-thru (the contour around the 22nd fret with no heel), but I'm pretty sure its a set neck because up to the 22nd fret the neck is natural color then turns white. Does anyone know much about the Charvels? I think it was in the "Desolation" series. It was a single cutaway.

')