Where do you buy parts to customize an RG550

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve been doing some googling on this but couldn’t find a recent discussion on this topic that lead to too many options.

I’m wondering where you all buy parts to customize your Ibanez guitars.

for example: I want to buy green knobs and green dimarzios and might need a replacement for one saddle on my bridge.

For the saddle Ibanezrules comes to mind but if I understand correctly he’s not available ATM and might not have stock.

for the pickups I know I can try Dimarzio directly but are there other options in the market? (Musicians Friend, etc don’t have all the colors).

and for pots, pick guards etc is there a brand or consistent manufacturer that guarantees the colors will match? As in pickups and pots guaranteed to be the same color.

Also have you found the new genesis models to match the Dimarzio parts the same as the old models? I think my DY Genesis is brighter than my classic.

and since I’m asking do you know if there’s a book covering all the different electronics and switching options on RGs? Or a source online that specifically covers the history of these mods with examples?

thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Your best source for pickups will definitely be ebay user Banjomikez, he has tons of stuff in weird colors in stock and can probably order you anything else you want.

neurosis

Reaction score
Your best source for pickups will definitely be ebay user Banjomikez, he has tons of stuff in weird colors in stock and can probably order you anything else you want.

Thanks for the tip! Just checked. I never realized there was a neon green pickup. In only knew of the regular green. This would probably fit the guitar much better since it's so bright.

Looks like he's got. a lot of options for pickups. I'll email him. I can't see any knobs though. Would you know where to look for matching colored knobs?

devastone

Reaction score
One must learn to play with their google... Lots of options on ebay, reverb, and amazon, just find the ones that are right for you.

neurosis

Reaction score
One must learn to play with their google... Lots of options on ebay, reverb, and amazon, just find the ones that are right for you.

Yeah as stated above "I’ve been doing some googling on this..."

Can you recommend someone you trust or have had a good experience with? Helps to know what options are reliable.

I think the pickups are easy enough to find. What I am struggling with is the knobs and switch cap.

I have bought knobs in a store before and they looked the same color as the pickups I ordered from Dimarzio but then they were different enough to bother me so I am curious where others are getting their parts in matching colors.

Thank you.

devastone

Reaction score
Sorry, I was having a d-bag moment.

I thought DiMarzio had knobs, but looks like they don't know, so could be my bad memory.

Looks like this comes up everyone once in a while, and the usual answer is ebay, just check the seller's feedback.

I think Rich is back in business, so definitely worth an e-mail to him for the saddle, or again, maybe look on ebay.

neurosis

Reaction score
Sorry, I was having a d-bag moment.

I thought DiMarzio had knobs, but looks like they don't know, so could be my bad memory.

Looks like this comes up everyone once in a while, and the usual answer is ebay, just check the seller's feedback.

I think Rich is back in business, so definitely worth an e-mail to him for the saddle, or again, maybe look on ebay.

He's back! That's nice. Last I checked he has a disclaimer saying he'd pause. He may still have some of the original painted knobs from Ibanez. They were expensive but almost a direct match.
On Jemsite there was a convo a long time ago about sourcing the knobs. Allparts had ones that didn't match which I can certify. Dimarzio stopped making them. Then there was a guy on Etsy but I couldn't find good feedback. I am going to try some more Ebay digging and reach out to Rich if I don't find a good alternative.

Thanks!

Stiman

Reaction score
He's back! That's nice. Last I checked he has a disclaimer saying he'd pause. He may still have some of the original painted knobs from Ibanez. They were expensive but almost a direct match.
On Jemsite there was a convo a long time ago about sourcing the knobs. Allparts had ones that didn't match which I can certify. Dimarzio stopped making them. Then there was a guy on Etsy but I couldn't find good feedback. I am going to try some more Ebay digging and reach out to Rich if I don't find a good alternative.

Thanks!

Did you ever find these? I'm looking for the same thing.

neurosis

Reaction score
:D
Did you ever find these? I'm looking for the same thing.
Back from the dead the answer is yes. :D

I got the Dimarzios from Banjomikez who was really helpful going over tonal options. I realized I had a good experience buying a Dominion from him in the past so didn't look further. I got slime green and purple knobs and switch tip from Guitar Maven on Reverb. I also got a hot pink set from Guitar Parts Factory on Reverb.

The problem is the bobbins on the Dimarzio are more 'ninja turtle skin green' than slime or neon green so the controls a bright like the yellow body but the pickups are more dull. I had a mix of hot pink parts on it for a while but the contrast was even bigger so I ended up taking them out. The purple matched the duller green best but I like green so I have just accepted the difference in hue and have the mixed type of green on there now.

Apparently it's difficult to get perfect neon green pickups because the manufacturing is inconsistent and they changed the dye they use for the parts.

Any hardware for the bridges I've gotten in the past came from Ibanezrules.

Hope that helps.

')