Where do you get IRs?

• Thread starter zamboknee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but...

where do you get IRs? Do you have to get them specific to your device?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Some free ones here

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Leon todd, fractal forum, york audio. I only really use york audio at the moment (one pack, one freebie).

zjb7777

Reaction score
I've had decent luck with some the IRs included with Neural DSP plugins but I do prefer York Audio right now. Their free Mesa 212 pack is really good, I ended up buying the full pack, and I have the Zilla 2x12, VH+ 4x12 P50E and DV77.

They're all great, the Mesa 2x12 screams early 2000s metalcore, the Zilla cab has lots of great sounds from really modern prog to classic, the P50E is super unique, it can be really brutal and grindy and the DV77 is really nice but I find it works better mixing in with another speaker than standing on it's own.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Some free ones here

This is the way. I used to have this bookmarked, but couldn't find it anymore.

VisionSwords

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jens Bogren IRs are very good, so are the Ownhammer. If you use Audio Assault, you can get the 3D cabs for extremely nice sales (it comes with regular IR files too but it's way more fun getting a 3D cab).

zamboknee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are IRs just foe cam/mic combo Sims or do they do IRs for amp heads?

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Wanna throw Bogren out there again. The Downtuned pack is a one-stop for me most times if I don't get what I want out of the stock IRs, though 90% of the time, the ones that come with Neural DSP's stuff are more than enough.

Ola Englund has some good ones, too. The "The One" pack is solid.

Kristian Kohle has some dope ones - he usually links them free in his video descriptions if he's talking about them.

ML Sound Labs has a few good - though standard sounding - IRs as well.

I spent a lot of time amassing a bunch of IRs and plugins, and after a handful of years doing so, I generally stick to one or two amp sims when I'm recording or producing (between the Archetypes Plini and Gojira, I can get pretty much whatever I need, and the Darkglass Microtubes is killer for bass), and the vast majority of the time, the IRs that come with are just fine. The rest is all about mixing, which you can't really spend a lot of time focusing on if you're spending all your time thinking the perfect IR is going to shift the world on its axis.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The downtuned pack is 1 of the few Bogren packs I don't have yet. Next sale I'll snag it.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
These are fucking killer and free. Especially the Redback ones. Science Amps are also 🥵🥵🥵🥵

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
The downtuned pack is 1 of the few Bogren packs I don't have yet. Next sale I'll snag it.
To be honest, it's great - most commonly used when I need something else that differentiates from the stock stuff. The Gates Of Hell IR that comes in it is my primary for rhythm stuff - low tuned or not. It's a killer IR, takes on the character of whatever amp/sim you're running through it, but keeps it clean enough that it doesn't flub or crap out. Plus, it's almost dead silent, which I love. Some IRs tend to add noise, this one doesn't have that issue.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IRs are like a snapshot of the frequency response curve of a cab and mic. The same kind of thing does exist for amp heads, stomp boxes and full rigs but it's more complicated technology and that's the realm of profiling, like what the Kemper, Quad Cortex, Tonex and NAM do.

VisionSwords

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IR stands for "impulse response" which means it measures the the frequency curve of the speaker. With amps there's saturation, distortion and compression to emulate so there's more to do there. You can get something that models the amp and all of it's features or you can use something like NAM which just takes a snashot/profile of a certain amp on a certain setting.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I was starting to feel like buying a captor was a mistake until I tried the ownhammer stuff. The mixed IRs “median” are my favorite

I tried the York audio demo and wasn’t very impressed. YMMV

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of people are raving about this one.

Bogren I found to be really good, though I have to admit ever since getting a Quad Cortex my IRs, which I bought for when I had a Pod Go, don't really get used at all even though I loaded them on to the device. The NDSP ones are just way better. I don't know why they don't sell IR packs.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Im a complete noob when it comes to all these digital routes everyone is taking nowadays so I was wondering if I could ask for a little elaboration.

The one thing i hated so much about recording in the past was the sheer amount of time i had to spend dialing everything in and wouldve loved being able to start out with something that is nearly there. Ive finally started getting myself into the digital side since im on the road permanently. I use ultimate-guitar.com a lot and have been using the Tonebridge app on my iPad in combination with an iRig HDX since i can use songs i know to grab tones and tinker with them but the sound quality is subpar.

Are there apps available on the iPad that can support IRs? I know id have to check if the iRig is compatible with them, but it would give me a place to start.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im a complete noob when it comes to all these digital routes everyone is taking nowadays so I was wondering if I could ask for a little elaboration.

The one thing i hated so much about recording in the past was the sheer amount of time i had to spend dialing everything in and wouldve loved being able to start out with something that is nearly there. Ive finally started getting myself into the digital side since im on the road permanently. I use ultimate-guitar.com a lot and have been using the Tonebridge app on my iPad in combination with an iRig HDX since i can use songs i know to grab tones and tinker with them but the sound quality is subpar.

Are there apps available on the iPad that can support IRs? I know id have to check if the iRig is compatible with them, but it would give me a place to start.
There are definitely a few. Amplitube and Tonex are both on iOS, you can try them both for free. Tonex sounds great but has a pretty mediocre interface.