Where do you guys find album artwork?

• Thread starter MrPepperoniNipples
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Hey guys, kind of an odd question but I was wondering where you guys go to find a person to commission for album artwork, aside from friends and friends of friends etc.?

I'm really dissatisfied with the local guys I've found, and was hoping to find some pre-made artwork that I could just sort through and find, preferably digitally done

Any ideas? Thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
A good place to start is to look up artists who did the artwork for albums you like; search them on facebook, find their official websites, etc. If they have facebook pages (as opposed to personal profiles) you can usually find other artists through their pages

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There are many places - you can look online, you can look on people's phones, in books, etc. But ultimately, the best place to find album artwork is on the front of the actual album.

Thankyouverymuch, I'll be here all week.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Smart ass. :lol:

Kris Verwimp is pretty good if that's a style you're interested in.

This is the cover of a Ceremonial Castings album he did the art for [it's Immortal Black Art]:

i_kris3.jpg

Here it is with their logo an the album title on it:

a4044445069_10.jpg

Probably one of Ceremonial Castings best and a particularly bad ass and detailed cover with amazing artwork:

a0577887318_10.jpg

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I've commissioned artists for several projects and found them on Deviantart. Yeah it has a less-than-perfect reputation what with certain... "types" of erotic drawings commonly found on there, but there are far more serious artists on there than weirdos, and their job forums follow pretty strict rules.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Deviantart is my suggestion as well.

Remember that well made work costs money. Prepare to pay anywhere between $500-$1000 for just the front cover.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
E-lance is a good option, it's specifically for freelancing and 99% of freelancers is artists of some sort

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
One of my favorite art sites is https://www.artstation.com/

Great for inspiration and finding other artists.

I'm on there myself as I am a videogame concept/texture artist and digital painter. (under the same name if anyone is curious) :yesway:

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Deviantart is my suggestion as well.

Remember that well made work costs money. Prepare to pay anywhere between $500-$1000 for just the front cover.
Depends on what you're looking for, really. A detailed, fully-painted piece like the ones posted so far can possibly be in that price range, but you can find a good artist to give you a simple, but effective design for <100$.

You can also always approach an artist with an already finished piece you really like and ask if they'll license it to you for a fee.

The good thing about Deviantart is that there's something for every budget in there. Obviously you won't get a Picasso for 25$, but if you completely lack artistic skill you will definitely find something better than what you can do for 25$ (though of course if you're serious about your album the right thing to do would be to save up to buy a really good piece for the album cover from a good artist).

col

blah.
Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking for, really. A detailed, fully-painted piece like the ones posted so far can possibly be in that price range, but you can find a good artist to give you a simple, but effective design for <100$.

Which is why I posted well made work costs money. ;)

Anyone with patience can make a usable cover in photoshop.

')