Where do you guys practice?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Out of curiosity just a general question about practice habits when practicing your instrument alone (as opposed to band practice):

-do you have a music/practice room where you sit/stand and close the door, so no one can come in?

-or do you practice in a living room where people (living with you) may or may not hang out while you practice or at least walk through?

For me it's the first option, as I feel I need to be by myself, door closed without anyone walking around or hanging out, so I can focus.

How about you guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Laimon

Reaction score
Well, theoretically the second...in practice, since my gf comes only in the weekends, I end up having the apartment by myself and no distraction.
Yes, secluded is better.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Everywhere, I make it a point to keep an acoustic guitar or two in every room in the house except for the bathroom to make sure I don't have an excuse for not practicing. I practice in every room in the house inclding in bed, in fact I practice playing the guitar in bed for a couple of hours every morning, I practice in the living room, the kitchen, the room that I use for teaching, not to mention my conservatory and garden.

I think I practise most in the kitchen though, not because it sounds any better or anything but because it is the only room indoors that I can smoke cigarettes in, other than my sheds/Granny flats. Whenever the girlfriend/wife and I watch a film at night I practice with an electric guitar on the sofa in the living room instead of an acoustic, so that she can still hear the T.V over my practicing.

Other than practicing at home, my band has a dedicated practice space that is exclusively for our use, and kept permanently set up for band rehersals with the exact same equipment that we gig with.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I live in a 30 square meter apartment, so theoretically in the everything room.

Metalworker

Reaction score
I practice in the extra room in my house. It's the only room we smoke in so that's usually where I spend my free time. I love that room lol

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Got an apartment to myself, so I jams where I want. :lol:

I've got a guitar in each room (except the bathroom, but maybe I should put one there, hah), and usually end up chilling on the livingroom couch for jamming/practice. Electric drums end stay in the farthest room from the neighbors so as to not annoy anyone.

I've been considering getting a uke or a tiny guitar to leave at my desk at work for whenever I have to wait around for anything.

broj15

Reaction score
I live alone so I just practice in whatever room i happen to be in. Sometime's I'll walk around my apartemnt while playing or I'll just sit on my bed when I'm trying to concentrate on writing. I'll often strum aimlessly while watching movies (kinda sorta half playing along to the soundtrack) and have come up with cool ideas that way.

robski92

Reaction score
When I was at school, I would just jam in my room or outside of my apartment. Now that I'm back at home I have my setup in the basement of my parents house so I just crank it up down there. Sometimes I'll play outside but since it's so damn cold right now that's not really an option lol

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
For me it's the first option, as I feel I need to be by myself, door closed without anyone walking around or hanging out, so I can focus.

Yeah me too. This is why I barely ever practice since moving out and getting married :lol: Focussing on cutting down my working hours this year so I can practice while she's at her job :hbang:Also moving house tomorrow and I think my studio space is going to be a bit further a way from the bedroom, so I'll be able to play with headphones at night which isn't a possibility right now

tender_insanity

Reaction score
Haven't been practising nor played much for the last three years, for my daughter is soon 3yo and keeps me busy. I just record when I've time.

I'd give my other kidney and nut for having a place where I could play an hour a day without being disturbed.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you have a music/practice room where you sit/stand and close the door, so no one can come in?

Yep. My GF and I were finally able to upgrade to renting an actual house (after years of apartment living). So, we got a 3-bedroom, and she was awesome enough to let me to devote 1 of the bedrooms as an actual music/practice/recording room. So, it's got sound treatment up, guitars mounted on walls, my rack gear in a proper desk, etc. Nothing fancy or glamorous, but still an awesome luxury to have.

Or, do you practice in a living room where people (living with you) may or may not hang out while you practice or at least walk through?

Did this for years, and hated it--mostly from a recording standpoint. HOWEVER, I'll say this: it prepares you better for the "real world" of being a performing musician. If you expect to be able to play in public and/or on stage, you'd better be able to at least handle people walking around, interrupting, talking, etc. It helps to train your focus.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I practice in that narrow zone between ineffectivity and wasting time. Lol. But no, in my little den area.

Reaction score
In the bedroom with the door closed, but that's more so I don't bug anyone else with my loud playing than for need to focus. I wear noise cancelling headphones when I practice so I can tune everything out anyway. Otherwise, I set up in the basement so I can play with higher volume and even worse acoustics.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
In the bedroom with the door closed, but that's more so I don't bug anyone else with my loud playing than for need to focus. I wear noise cancelling headphones when I practice so I can tune everything out anyway. Otherwise, I set up in the basement so I can play with higher volume and even worse acoustics.

Yeah, I'm big on not bothering others as well--especially since I do a lot of crappy-sounding chromatic exercises and whatnot. That stuff can be maddening to people around you when playing it over and over and over...

Nomad

Reaction score
Yeah I "live" alone (oxymoron?) too but in an apartment. I have to play loud or not at all, so it's double headphones for me: earbuds to the Android or desktop, and over that a decent set of headphones to the guitar/bass amp. Turn the music to 90% and then adjust the amp/volume on the guitar -- works out pretty well but all the freakin' cords makes me feel like I'm tied down.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My bedroom is for sleeping and for sex... and for complaining about my sleeping when my fiance wants sex.

So living-room almost exclusively. It's simply where I'm most comfortable and where I have the most room to move around as well as having access to equipment, backing sources, other guitars, ambient lighting, etc.

I don't like to deal with distractions while practicing but when I'm in the bedroom or any other room of the house, it just feels too isolated.

I'm fortunate in the fact that it's just me and my girl. I try to practice mainly while she's at work and I almost always have the TV off. It helps me to focus and also allows a more appropriate mood to generate. I don't mind playing while she or our friends are here but I have to have solitude while practicing/ learning/ perfecting.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I removed the bed from my bedroom (and I sleep on the floor) to make it become the guitar room.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. It's very interesting to see how and where different people are practicing.

I have a little side-room right next to my living room (small apartment) without a door, and I used to practice in there when I lived alone. I still have most of my gear in that room, but nowadays I practice in my tiny little music room that has my recording PC in it and a little practice amp.
But I do miss practicing with my Mesa F-50 amp, it just sounds much better than my small practice amp, oh well ....
It doesn't bother my g/f if I practice in the side-room by the living room, but it bothers me if I can't be secluded when I practice ....

')