Where Do You Stand On Gun Control/Second Amendment?

• Thread starter BenjaminW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Where Do You Fall On Gun Control

• For

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • Against

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I do understand that if you perform regular maintenance on a gun it can last a long, long time. Just like a car. But here's a question: Do you suppose most gun owners do actually perform this regular gun maintenance?

Do you suppose most gun owners are actually hobbiests who take their gun out and fire it from time to time? My assumption is that these people are a minority of gun owners.

I mean, you can still see some pretty old cars driving at certain auto shows, but most people buy a car and then let it "rot", so to speak. People who drive their car all the time obviously have to do a certain amount of up-keep, but people who own cars that they never drive, it's my understanding that when they go to start'er up after years without touching it that they will encounter problems.

Does this all still not transfer over to guns? (not a rhetorical question)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
You're trying to tie this to CNN, and spin it like some media bias. The guy is a morning anchor. Tweeting in his personal account, in his time off of work. It's not an example of investigative journalism gone wrong. It is a *retweet*.
I'm not saying this is tied to CNN.
Well you did mention it twice in two short posts, so I'm kind of reading between the lines there.
Well it was kind of relevant information, otherwise it'd just be "rando retweets other rando's misleading tweet" instead of "cnn journalist retweets misleading tweet" and we wouldn't be talking about it
I can't wait for KB to start a topic where he points out the asinine things the current president tweets about.

Given how much more often Trump does so, @KnightBrolaire , when is that likely to happen? :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Well it was kind of relevant information, otherwise it'd just be "rando retweets other rando's misleading tweet" instead of "cnn journalist retweets misleading tweet" and we wouldn't be talking about it :lol:

sadtrombone.wav

Is CNN just not trying anymore, or what? That or they think very lowly of their viewers.

See, just like that it went from a guy retweeting something in his off time, to an opinion about CNN news as an organization, even though they were not involved in any way. So you say it's not a comment about CNN news, but there's the result. Echo chamber at work.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I do understand that if you perform regular maintenance on a gun it can last a long, long time. Just like a car. But here's a question: Do you suppose most gun owners do actually perform this regular gun maintenance?

Do you suppose most gun owners are actually hobbiests who take their gun out and fire it from time to time? My assumption is that these people are a minority of gun owners.

I mean, you can still see some pretty old cars driving at certain auto shows, but most people buy a car and then let it "rot", so to speak. People who drive their car all the time obviously have to do a certain amount of up-keep, but people who own cars that they never drive, it's my understanding that when they go to start'er up after years without touching it that they will encounter problems.

Well my dad actually claims to be a huge gun nut. He's been a benefactor member of the NRA for years now. He failed miserably at Amway three times so now he's found a way to buy some sense of accomplishment and respect by giving tons of money to the NRA.

Anyway, like him the average joe blow gun owner really doesn't know jack about guns. Their guns sit in a cabinet 99.9999% of the time and are rarely fired or cleaned.

Some people actually hunt during the season and those weapons are used then cleaned and put away until next season.

Some people target shoot and competition shoot. I imagine competition shooters know more about weapons and perform more maintenance.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Like most things, most people do not preform proper, regular maintenance.

That said, depending on the make, style and model some firearms need very little upkeep outside of an occasional cleaning and lubing, even with moderate use.

It's important to note that legally, a gun is just the serialized (or supposed to be serialized as the case may be) frame. Stuff like moving parts and barrels can be easily and legally swapped out with no form of registration or checks.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Like most things, most people do not preform proper, regular maintenance.

That said, depending on the make, style and model some firearms need very little upkeep outside of an occasional cleaning and lubing, even with moderate use.

It's important to note that legally, a gun is just the serialized (or supposed to be serialized as the case may be) frame. Stuff like moving parts and barrels can be easily and legally swapped out with no form of registration or checks.
Right so if you do happen to shoot someone. Swap out barrels and drill the old one out before grinding it into steel dust and melting it down into a paperweight.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I can't wait for KB to start a topic where he points out the asinine things the current president tweets about.

Given how much more often Trump does so, @KnightBrolaire , when is that likely to happen? :lol:
If you want a play by play commentary on the stupid shit he tweets then just cruise some left leaning meme page :shrug:

It really depends on the owner and the weapon. I've seen some weapons that haven't been cleaned in years and they still shoot fine (but the owners also put less than 100 rounds a year through them) and others that jam even when pretty clean (ie keltec rfb, m4s when using shit ammo). Personally i'm OCD about my weapons and like to clean them after every trip to the range. M4s and most AR styled weapons are kind of finicky about sand/mud/dirt/carbon buildup so they need more upkeep.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right so if you do happen to shoot someone. Swap out barrels and drill the old one out before grinding it into steel dust and melting it down into a paperweight.

I was more or less referring to how hassle free it is to replace practically the whole firearm, bar one piece.

Even then, 80% lowers and frames are becoming cheaper, more plentiful and easier to work.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Yes I'll never understand why the US government went along with a direct injection gas blowback system. For like almost 60 years now. Every other military rifle in the world uses a piston. Even our previous rifles used pistons.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I was more or less referring to how hassle free it is to replace practically the whole firearm, bar one piece.

Even then, 80% lowers and frames are becoming cheaper, more plentiful and easier to work.
Yeah I was just giving some free advice to any would be murderers lol.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...

If you want a play by play commentary on the stupid shit he tweets then just cruise some left leaning meme page :shrug:
I don't necessarily need it. I just thought it was noteworthy that you were trying repeatedly to make a case as to how someone's tweets in their off time reflected on their job, and I was pretty sure any response you gave, regarding why a much more powerful person tweeting as part of his chosen official communications, would show your inconsistent standards for getting your faux outrage up.

And. I was right!

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I don't necessarily need it. I just thought it was noteworthy that you were trying repeatedly to make a case as to how someone's tweets in their off time reflected on their job, and I was pretty sure any response you gave, regarding why a much more powerful person tweeting as part of his chosen official communications, would show your inconsistent standards for getting your faux outrage up.

And. I was right!
oh no you got me there :eyeroll: I wasn't outraged about the cnn journalist, I just thought given the fact that he's a journalist he might actually read the shit he retweets. Guess not. Trump has consistently talked out of his ass/tweeted dumb stuff for years so I'm not in any way surprised by it. Besides the tweets were related to the overall discussion, unlike this tangent.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So just to add insult to injury regarding the debate over bringing more guns into schools:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/florida-school-shooting/index.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...who-never-went-in-during-shooting-report.html

[Two sources provided so we can stop talking about CNN.]

I get that it's a hard tactical call to make, and I actually think I'd side with the deputy as far as not just running in blind shooting. But it stresses the point that the "good guy with a gun" scenario isn't very effective in the real world. If this trained LEO can't/won't engage, how can a teacher?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So just to add insult to injury regarding the debate over bringing more guns into schools:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/florida-school-shooting/index.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...who-never-went-in-during-shooting-report.html

[Two sources provided so we can stop talking about CNN.]

I get that it's a hard tactical call to make, and I actually think I'd side with the deputy as far as not just running in blind shooting. But it stresses the point that the "good guy with a gun" scenario isn't very effective in the real world. If this trained LEO can't/won't engage, how can a teacher?
Seriously, though, how is arming teachers to prevent school shootings not literally a bad joke? Does any of the logic pass anyone's smell test for real?! To me, it's such a stupid proposition that I just can't take it seriously at all.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously, though, how is arming teachers to prevent school shootings not literally a bad joke? Does any of the logic pass anyone's smell test for real?! To me, it's such a stupid proposition that I just can't take it seriously at all.

I look at it this way:

1) It would push the narrative of "good guy with a gun."

2) Would make it look like the right is doing something.

3) Open up more contracts for gun manufacturers.

4) Further normalize guns around kids, start them young.

Plus it's likely going to lead to further escalation in the future.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Yeah I was imagining Family Guy doing a cutaway for kids outside at recess playing Chinese Bullet Tag running, hiding, jumping, laughing and blowing each other to pieces similar to when Joe brought his guns from work to play in Peter's living room.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I look at it this way:

1) It would push the narrative of "good guy with a gun."

2) Would make it look like the right is doing something.

3) Open up more contracts for gun manufacturers.

4) Further normalize guns around kids, start them young.

Plus it's likely going to lead to further escalation in the future.

1) Or... 60-year old kindergarten teacher with a gun, which, for me, really goes against what the NRA is trying to do here.
2) Or... Make it look like "the right" (which I would be more careful to say "proponents of this idiotic plan") have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to brainstorm anything that doesn't sound completely idiotic.
3) Yeah, maybe, but really, for only me, I guess, the mental picture of a school full of children with faculty wearing holsters with guns is just too much. I mean, have these people not thought this through at all? Yeah, there are some swell teachers out there, but in general, they are not saints. Some teachers have no business being around kids anyway, and you want to hand them all guns and mandate that they carry them?! Has no one else ever had a bad teacher?! Most of my teachers were awesome teachers, but probably most of them had some mental issues. My high school history/economics teacher thought the apocalypse was coming New Year's Day Y2k, and took every opportunity to warn us all to stockpile everything before then. When we showed him that we could change the date on the computer to 2001 and nothing happened, he got really angry with us. My ninth grade English teacher thought two students were possessed by demons. My geometry teacher heard voices and even tried to record them and play them for the principle. My gym high school teacher was just weird and creepy, and was later convicted of sexual assault against a child. I had a physic teacher with narcolepsy - how would that work out if he had a gun on him? Most of these teachers didn't last more than a year, but honestly, they usually would just fire them and replace them with someone else with equally serious issues. We want to require these sorts of people to carry a firearm in a school?! Jesus Christ! To me, it's honestly a joke. I can't think it through seriously, because, for me, the idea makes zero logical sense. Yeah, sell more guns...okay, maybe that's a good short term plan for NRA lobbyists, but, in the long run, a plan like that is only going to place the USA a hell of a lot closer to just banning guns across the board.
4) There are a million and one better ways. In the face of this shooting in FL, though, where the shooter was such a gun hobbyist, I think that point really resonates more like brassy wet fart during a moment of silence than like anything the people advocating the idea might want.

I think we're mostly on the same page in hating this idea, but in my eyes, the idea is just the definition of ludicrous. I don't see any possible way of this not backfiring. Am I blowing something out of proportion here, or what?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, this is totally a stupid idea that's going to either not do a damn thing at best and lead to more death at worst.

I just see why it fits thier agenda. Pro tip: it's not saving kids.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Oh, this is totally a stupid idea that's going to either not do a damn thing at best and lead to more death at worst.

I just see why it fits thier agenda. Pro tip: it's not saving kids.
Aren't the people at the top of most industries this way though?
Tobacco and food companies don't care about killing people either.
This is just the kind of stuff that goes on when super wealthy industrialists and their buddies are allowed to rule the country.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aren't the people at the top of most industries this way though?
Tobacco and food companies don't care about killing people either.
This is just the kind of stuff that goes on when super wealthy industrialists and their buddies are allowed to rule the country.

Doesn't make it right. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')