Where Do You Stand On Gun Control/Second Amendment?

• Thread starter BenjaminW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Where Do You Fall On Gun Control

• For

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • Against

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dcm81

Reaction score
Why would you criticize someone if you think that person is trying to help other people?

I'm baffled that you've been here so long and that this kinda shit coming from Space still surprises anybody.....

Did trump really endorse teachers carrying guns in class ? That’s the answer ? More people with guns. Shit is outrageous.

Similar bewilderment here......does any of the outrageous shit that spunk trumpet does surprise you any more?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did trump really endorse teachers carrying guns in class ? That’s the answer ? More people with guns. Shit is outrageous.

That's been a point for a lot of conservative politicians for some years now.

The NRA, in a bid to sell more guns for thier financiers, has been pushing the "armed good guy" narrative hard. It's thier dream to get it mandated. Imagine how profitable those school board contracts will be.

It's also hilarious to think they'd actually pay for teachers to get real training, as well as a financial incentive to now be an armed guard. They're just going to give Carol the 68 year old social studies teacher, who's never fired a gun in her life, a Glock and consider it misson accomplished.

I completely agree. 100%. Drastic situations require drastic changes. And we are in a drastic situation as far as shootings go. If drastic changes requires the government to make changes in gun laws, whether I like it or not, I'm with it. People's live are more important than my gun hobby.

What am I doing to prevent shootings you ask?

1. Prevent/stop bullying. A friend once asked me, "why are you so tough on bullying? Were you bullied in high school or something?" I said no. I told him there's a chance that bullied kid is going to grow up and do something really stupid with a gun. If you stop a kid from being bullied now, there's a chance you're saving lives in the future. And if we're lucky, he will take your teachings and stop bullying when he sees it himself. Good teachings can go a long, long way.

2. Identify depressed and/or people with social problems and try as much as I can to help them so they don't do something stupid with a gun later on. As above, you have to catch it when it's early. Talk to them, tell them life is tough but there is good at the end of the tunnel but they sometimes have to find it.

Has my solutions worked you asked? It has and I thank Dr. Phil for that.

Going back to what we were talking about, IMHO, you gotta catch individuals when they're at their lowest point and/or a point in their lives when it seems that they might do something stupid..., like pick up a gun and shoot up a school. Obviously, my solutions won't prevent more school shootings if the shooter hasn't been identified, had already made up his mind and has already geared up and is locked and loaded and/or the individual already swallowed a overdose of drugs to kill himself. Aside from the actual gun thing, ya gotta remove the thoughts of wanting to kill people from individuals and fill them with positive things. Now, this might not be the change you expected, Max but it's what I thought is the right thing to do in this violent world we live in.

While I can't say we agree on everything, I can get behind what you're saying. :agreed:

Thank you. :cheers:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
in the rest of the world we just recognise bullying and depression as problems that need to be fixed on their own merit.
How does that contradict what was said though?

"When I see someone depressed I try to help them out so that bad stuff doesn't happen."
"Yeah, but that doesn't address the depression!"

....what?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
How does that contradict what was said though?

"When I see someone depressed I try to help them out so that bad stuff doesn't happen."
"Yeah, but that doesn't address the depression!"

....what?
He said:
"When I see a depressed person I think they're going to shoot up a school."
Which is lunacy.

Depression and bullying should be dealt with because they're awful things for people to go through.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
We're both putting our own spin on what he said, but I very much doubt that's the message he meant to get across
Maybe, but he was pretty explicit.

A friend once asked me, "why are you so tough on bullying? Were you bullied in high school or something?" I said no. I told him there's a chance that bullied kid is going to grow up and do something really stupid with a gun.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
There's a chance that depressed people will do something stupid does not mean "I assume depressed people are going to shoot up a school". Very much a stretch compared to how I interpreted that. :2c: Either way. I don't really care what weird assumptions or stretches needed to be made to get there, if it means that a depressed person is being addressed/helped, I'm cool with it. Reasons aside, I can't fault someone for trying to do some good, given how little action actually gets taken towards addressing either depression or gun violence.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Bullying is bad and I'm all for preventing bullying. However, bullies shoot people, too, so I'm not sure how that narrative of <<if bullying = 0 then shootings.school := 0>> has any traction in the real world. Maybe some statistics? All I have right now are anecdotes where a lot of these school shooters were bullies. Obviously not every bully becomes a mass shooter and not every mass shooter was a bully, but that's essentially the point I see, that there is not a strong correlation between the two. However, every mass shooter since 1700 AD has used a gun, so the gun user to mass shooter correlation is 100%.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
While Trump is headed in the right direction, arming the teachers and staff just isn't enough.

Every morning when entering the school doors all the students should sign out their assigned M4 from the school arms room and carry it at the ready all day long. There should be hall monitors manning machine gun nests at the end of every corridor. The boundary of the school grounds should be fenced and mined. There should be guard towers with snipers and shoulder fired AT4 missile launchers.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've actually not really seen any connections being drawn (other than here) between bullying and school shootings. (Edit: To be fair, I don't spend much time reading very far into it though.) It wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of correlation there, but I don't know how useful a comparison it is. "Look! They were a bully!" seems about as meaningful as "Look! They played GTA!" or "Look! They listened to heavy metal! This is the fault of the devils music!"

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
While Trump is headed in the right direction, arming the teachers and staff just isn't enough.

Every morning when entering the school doors all the students should sign out their assigned M4 from the school arms room and carry it at the ready all day long. There should be hall monitors manning machine gun nests at the end of every corridor. The boundary of the school grounds should be fenced and mined. There should be guard towers with snipers and shoulder fired AT4 missile launchers.
As a matter of fact it shouldn't end there. The second amendment shouldn't be a right at all. It should be a requirement. Every American citizen should be required by law to carry an assault weapon, proof of citizenship, and a bible on their person at all times.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
As a matter of fact it shouldn't end there. The second amendment shouldn't be a right at all. It should be a requirement. Every American citizen should be required by law to carry an assault weapon, proof of citizenship, and a bible on their person at all times.

Can I engrave the Bible onto my rifle in tiny font so I can carry it more conveniently?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

^SNL should hire this guy. :)

I recall reading in a history book once that such was an actual discussion by the framers of the Constituion. Some of them wanted it to be a requirement for American citizens to be armed with muskets at the ready in case they were attacked by 'bloodthirsty redcoats' or 'savage natives.' The sad/ironic thing was, IIRC, that the common sense argument wasn't what won the debate, but rather the religious argument was, since some of the early US towns and villiages were dominated by religious sects who were pacifist, and they objected that being forced to carry a weapon at all times infringed upon their freedom of religion.

The thought of arming every person in times of peace shouldn't give anyone a warm fuzzy feeling. It takes zero physical effort to shoot someone who doesn't suspect being shot, so it just means that murders would get their first murder basically for free. And then imagine forensics trying to match the bullet with, potentially, one hundred million possible suspects, rather than just a half dozen.

Take that argument that we need *more* guns in schools to it's reductive maximum and it's so fantastically absurd that the argument itself can't be taken seriously anymore, even by the fringes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')