Where Do You Stand On Gun Control/Second Amendment?

• Thread starter BenjaminW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Where Do You Fall On Gun Control

• For

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • Against

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By now, I’m sure you’ve all heard of President Trump’s proposal to ban bump stocks. Thoughts on this proposal?

I can dislike the guy and I can question his motives, and I can question the effectiveness of his moves but he's at least acting like he's doing something. If there's any substance to the idea the president can instruct the DOJ on something like bump stocks or other clarifications of existing laws, it's a wonder that Obama didn't use any of those tools. That's a very big "if" though.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
28055908_549375072127685_4524966097588452346_n.jpg

28056729_549375088794350_8134604144901364951_n.jpg

true gun control

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
chris cuomo (who works for CNN) retweeted a post from a guy who claimed to have bought an ar15 without doing the prerequisite paperwork/background check from a gun store. The guy later goes on to say that he never bought it and didn't do the paperwork, but still tweeted that he bought it in 5 minutes. :scratch:
It always takes me a few weeks to get the background check/paperwork checked. I mean barring buying from a private seller there's no way in hell you're getting a weapon from a legit gun store without the background check/paperwork.
28056769_789124521293585_8318970106176468116_n.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Is this relevant though? I feel like these sorts of things are brought up to cumulative pitch gun control pushes as somehow misguided. The kid was an idiot young person doing something for Twitter attention... Has no bearing on the discussion

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
chris cuomo (who works for CNN) retweeted a post from a guy who claimed to have bought an ar15 without doing the prerequisite paperwork/background check from a gun store. The guy later goes on to say that he never bought it and didn't do the paperwork, but still tweeted that he bought it in 5 minutes. :scratch:
It always takes me a few weeks to get the background check/paperwork checked. I mean barring buying from a private seller there's no way in hell you're getting a weapon from a legit gun store without the background check/paperwork.
28056769_789124521293585_8318970106176468116_n.jpg
sadtrombone.wav

Is CNN just not trying anymore, or what? That or they think very lowly of their viewers.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Just regarding bullying in general, In a SCotUS hearing on laws which deny guns to domestic abusers, Thomas challenged why such abuse would warrant suspending someone's right to firearms.

The answer was, "individuals who have previously … battered their spouses, pose up to a six-fold greater risk of killing, by a gun, their family member."

Clarence Thomas went on to write a scathing dissent, supporting the right of such abusers to firearms.

----

As this form of bullying has been observed to be a good predictor of future firearm violence, bullying in general is worth considering in general not just because it's bad, but also as a potential red flag.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
In all honesty, my personal experience tells me the problem lies with home life, education system, and American culture in general.

I went to middle and high school in the 90s. From the time I was 11 until around 14 (6th to 9th grade) I used to fantasize quite often about shooting up my school.

I was born to poor teenage parents in rural Florida. They divorced when I was 3. My father is the youngest son of a Pentecostal preacher WW2 vet. My mother is an awkward introvert with the same type of mother herself. Warm loving relationships were never a thing growing up with my family.

I was always a "nerd". Not a bookworm straight A student nerd just not a popular kid. I'm awkward, introverted and probably what is now on the autism spectrum. I never knew what was socially proper and my family never taught me. I made the honor roll all through elementary school. I never found any academics in that time challenging. I also made it through elementary school without being self conscious and having great self esteem. I looked up to adults. I always took everything adults said both literally and very seriously. I didn't comprehend a lot of sarcasm and hidden jokes that I can look back and see clearly now (this is the reason I am extremely careful about what I say and how I word things to my children).

I changed schools a lot. I'd stay a year with mom then a year with dad and grandparents (my father lived out on his own for a whole 5 years of his 52 years on earth).

Middle school started to change. I went to a bigger school. Kids were a lot meaner in general. I was bullied on the bus. At school. After school. My bus was the most notorious in the district so the police chief assistant was assigned driver. He was a limp noodle incompetent. He actually tried to get me into trouble because he had me confused with one of the bus bullies.

My father bullied us at home. He was the youngest of 4 and always trying to prove how much of a macho badass he is. Any time I showed an interest in playing a sport it was his duty to teach me by playing one on one hitting me with the ball, yelling at me for being a pansy. He always played with us and insulted us as if we were all his adult contemporaries. Then gloat about being a manly badass because he beat us children at sport. Needless to say I never signed up for any sport and lost all interest in sports. So I lost out on the bonding friendship, popularity and preferential treatment that playing a sport brings.

I mentioned my grandfather. He was a WW2 vet, retired from civil service as a mathematician at Eglin AFB Florida, Pentecostal preacher for 40 years, had his own farm. He grew up in the depression and his father was killed before his eyes by a shattered blade at the sawmill they worked at. He made a deal with god that if he survived WW2 he would be a preacher.

So my father's side are hardcore christian fundamentalists. Although I do remember as a young child not being shielded from any graphic violence and nudity on family movie nights. I've been deathly afraid of terminators since I was 5. When I stayed at dad's I had to go to church every time there was church. Sunday morning. Sunday night. Wednesday night. Revival meant church every night all week. My dad did janitorial and landscaping work for the church (well he was paid for it, my sister and I actually did it) so even when church wasn't in session I was at church. I always had questions about contradictions in our religion and the answer was always "that's just how it is". I was deathly afraid of going to hell.

My family is also Republican but my dad's side is hardcore. During the Clinton years my dad was always spouting off about some government conspiracy about the liberals (with republicans in office somehow there aren't any conspiracies). My bedroom was next to the living room so it was quite easy to hear them chatting after I went to bed. I was deathly afraid of the government.

When I was 11 years old we had a communion at church. All the kids had to go to the back room. I stayed because I didn't like the church kids and I was at the transition age where I could stay with the adults if I wanted. I did the communion thing with them and drank Jesus's grape juice blood and ate his tasty Nabisco saltine white cracker body. Then they said if someone took communion without being saved they were condemned to hell. So naturally I was like oh fuck was I saved or not?! So I was asking dad and grandparents all about being saved and condemnation and all that. I guess they never wondered why the sudden interest. I never heard god talk to me. I never felt god feeling me up inside. I never had any kind of spiritual experience so I assumed I was not saved.

I was 11 years old. Deathly afraid of terminators. Deathly afraid of the government. Deathly afraid of burning in hell. Dreading every day at school. Dreading coming home from school. Dreading the uncertainty of my father's wild, unstable, sometimes violent mood swings. To top it all off I was now condemned to hell with the only chance of getting to heaven being death as a martyr.

I had stomach ulcers. I had acid reflux. I was underweight, malnourished, weak, sickly. I was beaten up at school and called a pansy at home.

My only hope for salvation was to die as a martyr. If enough people prayed for you it was theoretically possible to get you out of hell but getting killed for Jesus was the only sure ticket. Since I was always listening at night to dad and granddad going on about the rapture and us living in the end times I decided I should prepare. Schoolwork was useless bullshit. Friends and girlfriends were useless distractions. I needed to study weapons and tactics. If I could get killed defending Jesus from the evil liberals in some kind of end times holy war maybe he would owe me one for saving his ass.

My family were never really gun nuts. My stepfather took me hunting and was actually more of a real father (too bad I didn't just stay with mom but he wound up getting very ill and dying anyway). My grandfather had a few guns in the cabinet. Typical farmer stuff. A shotgun, a 22 rifle, an air rifle and his WW2 M1 carbine (you could take your military weapons home after discharge back then). I became a true gun nut. I soaked it up like a sponge. Weapon types, uses, operating systems, ammunition types, ballistics and everything I could learn. I studied books about hand to hand combat techniques and guerrilla warfare. I learned so much that by the time I did join the army, basic training couldn't teach me anything new apart from teamwork and a few social skills. Seriously I've forgotten more about weapons in the last 10 years than most of you will ever learn.

I hated school. I hated people and they didn't particularly care for me either. Other kids parents didn't want their kids playing with me because I was a bad influence.

It started to change around the end of 9th grade. My cousin introduced me to Satan's music AC/DC and Metallica. It was a turning point and probably saved my life and a lot of others. Up to that point I was force fed contemporary christian (though DC Talk's Jesus Freak is a badass rock album regardless of religious beliefs) and 80s-90s country. I had always been musically inclined but that was nothing of value to my family. I felt strange listening to this new music. It made me feel guilty that this music made me feel good inside. At that point in my life I rarely ever felt good inside. I was either worried about getting beat up at school, worried about going to hell, worried about surviving skynet's nuclear holocaust, or worrying about my dad beating the shit out of me on report card day because I spent all my time preparing to die in a hail of bullets instead of doing my schoolwork. I had to go to summer school every year from 6th grade to 10th grade (after that it didn't matter, I just didn't graduate).

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I noticed as I got deeper into this metal music and buying a guitar that people started to notice me in a nonthreatening way. They didn't want to punch me or say something hurtful, they wanted to talk about guitars and music. This led to talking about life in general and led further to making friends, spending the night at friends places, meeting new people, talking to girls. By the time I was 16 I had good friends, I was in a shitty band and was getting more ass than any of the adult males in my family. And I was still the same skinny, socially awkward, weirdo that I always was. I developed a sense of humor and ability to laugh at myself. I started to realize most of these guys I thought were bullying me didn't mean any real harm and it was more like some kind of social rites of passage thing. I actually became good friends with some of my bullies.

Of course getting into metal meant wearing black, skulls, chains. So after the trench coat shooting I was called into the principal's office for interrogation. Word had got around my rural, all white, bible belt high school that I was an anti religion, free thinking metalhead that looked all grim and liked to call bullshit when the teachers would spew bullshit. So he asked me if I listened to metallica and if I were a devil worshipper and if I was planning to shoot everyone. I thought to myself really? Where the hell were you two years ago when I was really thinking about it? Now that I feel good about myself, have friends and am semi popular you think I'm a mortal threat? His solution was to have me talk to the marine corps recruiter and send the army recruiters out to my house (well half house half trailer. We had a singlewide from the late 60s that they had built a house around and not finished. Did I mention we were poor as dirt at mom's living on food stamps?)

Apart from a temporary brainwashed backslide during the early years of my military career, I've been getting better and better ever since. The more I educate myself the more "unwashed" my brain gets.

I'm no longer religious at all. I don't feel that I ever was. I tried but never felt anything. I was just afraid that it might be true. The concept is laughable to me. Some people say they need it. I say these people use religion as a crutch and a way to get away from responsibility. Oh well it's not my fault that wasn't in God's plan. It's like blaming Hitler for the holocaust or Stalin for the massive amounts of dead Soviets. Hitler never killed a single person. All the normal sane human beings did it. Hitler just signed an order. Religion and it's followers are the exact same potential danger and it has happened many times through history.

I haven't owned a firearm in 10 years. Being a felon since 2010 legally has something to do with it but nothing to do with my personal decision. I lived in Europe for a year after I left the army. I never once felt a firearm was needed to possibly defend myself. Ten months in England and three in Poland. It taught me that America is one of the the most backward countries on the planet. Socially backward. Intellectually backward. It really amazes me how we became the number one nation.

Until we get the die hard religious, gun toting, closed minded bible thumping three quarters of our population into the 21st century (hell even 18th century enlightenment would do), things are only going to get worse. The leadership doesn't give a shit. Democrats, republicans are all the same. They only care about themselves and their money.

It's the Us vs Them mentality that is drilled into America from the cradle. It's in everything. Sports, classes, business, race, religion, sex, everything. It's applauded as good spirited competition. It's not. It's getting you used to "taking a side and standing up for what you believe in" so that we are all ready to fight each other over every little difference that separates us into these little groups instead of banding together to progress onward and upward to the future.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Just thought maybe you guys would like some insight into someone who could've done something like this. I honestly think it's more common than anybody wants to admit out loud.

Why did I ultimately not shoot up my school? I knew it was a suicide mission. My life sucked deep inside a donkeys asshole but there was always this tiny splinter in my mind saying all that religious shit was wrong, life is hard, just stick it out till you turn 18 and gtfo. Also, fantasy is a great stress reliever. Like video games, playing guitar, etc. Once I got into playing guitar and making friends I started experiencing a somewhat normal adolescence. I even got to experience what a normal family is like through my friends and their families. I was always another son to my friend's mothers.

TL;DR every school has it's dork/punching bag/loathed by all, kids. Cut them some slack and don't gang up on them because they might go over the edge.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
By now, I’m sure you’ve all heard of President Trump’s proposal to ban bump stocks. Thoughts on this proposal?

My thoughts? It's an attempt to throw a bone to those who hold Trump responsible for his signing off on removing mentally ill individuals from the firearm ban list.

I also think Trump was fed this suggestion by the NRA, because Trump himself had no deep opinions on the matter when he did his informal polling at Mar-a-Lago about what should be done about gun violence.

I do like that the NRA is now attacking the FBI, which is investigating the NRA regarding the NRA funneling Russian money to pro-Trump ads during the election.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It always takes me a few weeks to get the background check/paperwork checked.

What? Where do you live?

I've purchased firearms in Florida, Arizona and Wisconsin and the longest it ever took was about six hours, and that was on a weekend just before hunting season up here.

Hundguns I've had to pick up next day, obviously, but I've picked up all but two long guns same day.

That's going through big, national FFLs like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop.

I was 17 when I bought my first rifle at Walmart in South Florida, got to take it home right then and there. That was some years ago though.

But that doesn't mean anything because I can jump on ArmsList or Gunbroker and get a firearm in minutes. The most I've ever had to do is show a photo ID in private sales. No one really cares.

Heck, I had my P80 shipped right to my door with all needed components. No checks of any kind, just credit/debit and away we go.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I am a gun owner, and have been all of my adult life. I was introduced to firearms as a child, taught proper gun safety and to respect the firearm as a dangerous tool. I grew up in a family that hunted and harvested game animals as a means of adding food to our tables.
As an adult I have sought out extensive training with both handguns and rifles. In 2015 I had over 200 hours of personally paid for training on the AR15, not including hours with handguns. I take firearms safety extremely seriously.
I am not specifically for nor against some measure of gun control. But I that is not the all out right answer. If you seek out the full story about the statistics, not what is fed to us by either extreme of the political system you will find that gun violence is certainly responsible for loss of human life, it is no where near the top of the causes. Statistically speaking you are absolutely more likely to die in an automobile accident that to be shot.
I like that I have the "freedom" in this country to enjoy things such as the AR15 rifle system. I hunt with one, obviously not kitted up like a Ninja Navy Seal Ranger, but I do commonly utilize one. I carry a pistol everyday, and have for 10 years. I have never used my firearm in anger, fear, or any other time. I understand that my "right" to defend myself does not end and begin with that firearm, but it does allow a measure of faith that I can trust in my training if I were to get into a situation that violence was needed. Not because someone cut me off in traffic, or called me a name. But in the event that I could either defend myself or family from eminent danger, an attacker or some other form of violent criminal action.
It is a huge responsibility, and if you chose to carry and own firearms you should treat it as such.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Is this relevant though? I feel like these sorts of things are brought up to cumulative pitch gun control pushes as somehow misguided. The kid was an idiot young person doing something for Twitter attention... Has no bearing on the discussion
It does kind of have a bearing on the discussion, since Cuomo works as a journalist for CNN and caused a whole shitstorm related to that post. People were getting pretty mad that he'd retweet that post as though it was even slightly plausible at most gun stores.
40424529071_1c3133b265_b.jpg

What? Where do you live?

I've purchased firearms in Florida, Arizona and Wisconsin and the longest it ever took was about six hours, and that was on a weekend just before hunting season up here.

Hundguns I've had to pick up next day, obviously, but I've picked up all but two long guns same day.

That's going through big, national FFLs like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop.

I was 17 when I bought my first rifle at Walmart in South Florida, got to take it home right then and there. That was some years ago though.

But that doesn't mean anything because I can jump on ArmsList or Gunbroker and get a firearm in minutes. The most I've ever had to do is show a photo ID in private sales. No one really cares.

Heck, I had my P80 shipped right to my door with all needed components. No checks of any kind, just credit/debit and away we go.
I bought a few guns through Mills Fleet Farm and it took about 2 weeks for the paperwork to go through for them. :shrug: Most of the time I buy from private sellers just because it's cheaper/faster than buying the stuff I want through a dealer. I got a sig p226 for next to nothing that way.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It does kind of have a bearing on the discussion, since Cuomo works as a journalist for CNN and caused a whole shitstorm related to that post. People were getting pretty mad that he'd retweet that post as though it was even slightly plausible at most gun stores.

You're trying to tie this to CNN, and spin it like some media bias. The guy is a morning anchor. Tweeting in his personal account, in his time off of work. It's not an example of investigative journalism gone wrong. It is a *retweet*

Like wow, the kid wasn't able to buy a gun in 5 minutes? I guess the system works!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly think it's more common than anybody wants to admit out loud.
TL;DR every school has it's dork/punching bag/loathed by all, kids. Cut them some slack and don't gang up on them because they might go over the edge.
I think you are really onto something. I felt kind of the same way, except my parents were actually pretty normal even though the school they sent me to was bonkers religious. I was picked on a lot, punched in the face (had my nose broken for a kid not liking my first name), stabbed in the abdomen with a piece of broken glass, punched in the kidneys until I pissed blood, on and on until I dislocated an older kid's arm in a fight one day. After that, almost everybody more or less left me alone, and life got a hundred times quieter. It's not really like we had bullies (maybe one or two) there, but just, I don't know, kids are mean, and kids are stupid, and there is nothing more dangerous than someone who is really stupid and really mean.

I never shot up my school or planned any sort of "attack." I just wanted to be able to be a kid without worrying about getting stabbed again or shot or stomped to death by the clique of kids who most closely resembled characters from a Rob Zombie movie that hadn't come out yet at the time.

I grew up with a healthy respect for guns and thinking it was essential to own a gun, but also to keep it safe, never point it at anyone, fire it regularly at the range and keep it clean and in good working order.

But what does this mean about stopping violence? I was at the university by the time Columbine happened, bullying has been controlled a little better each year, but shootings get worse. What does that mean?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
You're trying to tie this to CNN, and spin it like some media bias. The guy is a morning anchor. Tweeting in his personal account, in his time off of work. It's not an example of investigative journalism gone wrong. It is a *retweet*

Like wow, the kid wasn't able to buy a gun in 5 minutes? I guess the system works!
I'm not saying this is tied to CNN, I just thought it was interesting that he'd retweet such an asinine post, especially since he claims to have bought a shotgun and should have some understanding of the ffl system. If he'd actually read the entirety of the original post he'd have seen how asinine it was. Anyways, can we all agree that twitter is 99% of the time a cesspit of stupidity?

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
As far as actual gun control in the US, I don't think it will ever work. There are just too many guns out there for them to ever confiscate. You can regulate manufacturing and sales of new firearms all day long. People will still be able to buy second-hand privately. I'm a felon and I know a lot of sources for firearms if I want one.

In a perfect world we would start again from zero and regulate from there. My personal opinion is regardless of the second amendment, common sense dictates firearms should be regulated for public safety. There is nothing wrong with target shooting and hunting. I like both. You need a license to drive a car because it's dangerous. You have to prove yourself competent and trustworthy enough to operate a vehicle (another thing America is far too lax on). It should be the same with firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')