Where do you think we're headed?

• Thread starter Draceius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
And by we I mean the metal industry, this is something that's been on my mind quite a bit of late, because it's sort of troubling. More and more bands are starting to hang up the towel and quit because they just simply aren't making money, I remember when the guitarist for aeon quit, he pointed out he was actually losing money on tours, and he definitely isn't the only one in this situation. So I pose the question, where are headed, and more importantly, what can we, as musicians and as fans, do to stop what looks like the possible end for a lot of bands?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Music creation will never end nor will the possibility to make a living off it. Some people will manage to do the right things to make a profession out of it and some won't. The narrower the niche style of music, the smaller your audience, the poorer you handle finances, the less creative and wise you are with marketing options, etc etc all can contribute to possible failure. Sometimes you have to lose money to make money. Sometimes a loss may come with a much greater return. For example, if one is offered to open for a huge name band to a stadium of 50,000 but the cost to get the band there will leave them $5000 in the hole well then I think it's worth that $5000 for that type of exposure. On the flip side touring and playing smaller venues and losing $600 a day doesn't sound like a very wise choice.

Either way, things change. Making a career off music will never die IMO and proof in point is how many big names are still making multiple millions of dollars off their music.

Rev.

Nats

Reaction score
Don't bite off more than you can chew. If a tour is going to wipe you out financially and emotionally to the point you can't stand doing it anymore, then don't plan a 50 city tour with a bill that won't draw that much. Play more local shows and just be happy you are playing. The internet has already made the world a lot smaller so the music will still get out. Just don't expect to see your favorite band play your backwater Podunk town. But my opinion stems from my view towards playing music; it was never about being a touring musician, just jamming for fun and be happy if I made a few bucks from it on the side.

morethan6

Reaction score
Music creation will never end nor will the possibility to make a living off it. Some people will manage to do the right things to make a profession out of it and some won't. The narrower the niche style of music, the smaller your audience, the poorer you handle finances, the less creative and wise you are with marketing options, etc etc all can contribute to possible failure. Sometimes you have to lose money to make money. Sometimes a loss may come with a much greater return. For example, if one is offered to open for a huge name band to a stadium of 50,000 but the cost to get the band there will leave them $5000 in the hole well then I think it's worth that $5000 for that type of exposure. On the flip side touring and playing smaller venues and losing $600 a day doesn't sound like a very wise choice.

Either way, things change. Making a career off music will never die IMO and proof in point is how many big names are still making multiple millions of dollars off their music.

Rev.

I agree with this - although I would point out that we are incredibly focussed on a tiny microcosm of an industry that itself is a flash in the pan by most standards of art.

By which I mean - think about your favourite genre in the context of all metal. Then think about metal as a genre within guitar-based music. Then think about the electric guitar in terms of all music. Then think about all modern popular music since the first electric guitar in the 50s - everything that has happened in 63 years. Then think about all recorded music ever since 1877 (the first recording made by Edison).

Take a breath.

Now think about all music that has been composed and performed ever by all human beings.

Still surprised when people refer to Djent as a 'niche market'?

Yeah, the fact that anyone makes any money at all in metal is incredible and wonderful to me.

:)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
The narrower the niche style of music, the smaller your audience....

I agree with this and i think it could or has become a musical issue since "niche" bands will find it harder to make a living and may decide to dilute the product to appeal to more folks in order stay afloat financially. So because things are less favorable commercially, bands may decide to go more commercial - if that makes any sense.

I think the market previously allowed more underground type acts to make a living - selling 50,000 records and touring. Now, a new Megadeth album sells 50,000 records.

EDIT: I'm certainly aware there are big exceptions to this theory - just speculating here, in the spirit of the thread title.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I just listened to a new Glen Benton interview here -

A Very Special Edition of The MetalSucks Podcast: Deicide's Glen Benton Responds to the Broken Hope Drama!!! | MetalSucks

He didn't say anything about touring metal bands that I didn't already know but its interesting to gain perspective about such a legendary band.

He says that there are some bands, even opening bands, that try to live like "rockstars" while on tour with big tour busses, parties, and titty bars. On the other hand, Deicide and other wise career-bands travel in a minivan and uhaul, no drugs or alcohol. He claims to go home with bank to support his family every tour. Benton says that the metal scene fluxes every 10 years, and we're on a rebound now.

He actually seems like a very logical person in that interview, and I get the feeling that he wouldn't be doing this if he wasn't able to support his family and live a decent lifestyle overall.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I think there's gonna be guys who figure out a way to make money pimping music and gear via internet who will then be able to do small tours, but making money in metal without a heavy online presence is not happening.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
It would be an understatement to say that I am not optimistic. Good bands will make less and less while shitty bands and pop stars will make more and more. And all the while, more and more one-man "metal" bands will make albums in their bedrooms and flood the internet with them.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I just listened to a new Glen Benton interview here -

Awesome interview. Thanks for sharing. :metal:

I like Deicide and Broken hope equally, but this is absolutely not a great start for Broken hope after a 11 year absent. :nuts:

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
I say nothing much will change, in a genre as abrasive or harder for most people to get into because of how in your face metal is, anyone who plays or listens to the metal usually is very passionate about it. So the metal community is going to support it's musicians I say metal is a more secure genre of music to make a living off of than pop or hip hop because those markets are flooded with so much and the fans aren't very passionate about the artists in most cases. But to be successful in all cases you have to be talented, hard working , and smart, you need at least two of those

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
It would be an understatement to say that I am not optimistic. Good bands will make less and less while shitty bands and pop stars will make more and more. And all the while, more and more one-man "metal" bands will make albums in their bedrooms and flood the internet with them.

Sadly, we live in a world primarily populated with simpletons who prefer the simple and mediocre over the complex and unique. Our news headlines are flooded with what Kim K is doing, the Twilight saga has pulled in billions of dollars (ever watch those mind numbing pieces of shit?), and Miley Cyrus is worth an estimated 150 million dollars when the national average salary for nuclear physicists is 85K.

Only thing we can do is pickup and move to another planet, and that option isn't currently available. :wallbash:

Rev.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Whats a Twilight Saga? and who the fVck is Kim K.? Miley Cyrus is that hooker from the Disney Channel right? Her dad used be kinda famous when I was a little kid right?

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Sadly, we live in a world primarily populated with simpletons who prefer the simple and mediocre over the complex and unique. Our news headlines are flooded with what Kim K is doing, the Twilight saga has pulled in billions of dollars (ever watch those mind numbing pieces of shit?), and Miley Cyrus is worth an estimated 150 million dollars when the national average salary for nuclear physicists is 85K.

Only thing we can do is pickup and move to another planet, and that option isn't currently available. :wallbash:

Rev.

This post is so condescending I just can't take it seriously.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Follow up to my previous comment, there's something out the for everyone metal isn't going anywhere.When there is something we humans want but it isn't there, we create it.

acrcmb

Reaction score
I don't think metal will ever be more popular than it is now because the majority of people are now extremely shallow when it come's to music all they want is club bangers about partying anything deeper is just too much effort all they want is something short and catchy and the record companies have got that formula nailed to the point they just pump them out regularly, that being said i don't think metal will die either I think it will still go on like it always thanks to how metal listeners like to support bands by going to shows and still buying music/merch more than other genres.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ agreed there too. I just think the quality may suffer. Some great albums have been made by bands with hefty -unlimited even - resources. I just dont think wed have dark side of the moon if pink floyd were struggling to even eat at the time, and had a 10k budget due to expecting to sell 100k albums.

So yeah we'll create what we want, but when someone can devote a year to working in the studio and paying for it, without the need to tour or work a day job to live, they can realize an artistic vision more accurately.

8last

Reaction score
Metal was never meant to be some hot topic bs with autotune vocals and cookie cutter breakdowns. It's just righting itself out as all things do. It'll go back underground and the scene whores will abandon it. What metal will evolve into 10 years from now is anyone's guess but there will always be pissed off guys who want dark music that is too technical and extreme for everyone else.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
Want to help your favorite niche of music survive?

1. Don't steal their music.
2. Go to their shows.
3. Buy their merch.
4. Become part of the promotion machine by spreading the word with social media, etc.

Just my opinion, but we have brought it on ourselves. Back when people actually had to buy music, record companies spent much more resources promoting their acts and sending them on arena tours. Thus widening the market.

There will probably never be another Metallica, for example. Even a band as popular as Avenged Sevenfold would have trouble filling a 50,000 seat stadium. Metallica and Iron Maiden could do it five nights in a row at the same venue.

wakjob

Reaction score
The originators of the 'niche' will do better than the copycats.

I took some kids to a club show once to see a particular band. The problem for me was that the three opening acts were trying be & sound like the headliner.

I was burnt out on the same sound by the end of the second act. Put me off shows for quite awhile. Which is too bad because shows+merchandise is how bands make their money.

')