Where does the value lie in the music you enjoy?

• Thread starter DoomJazz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Why do you like the music that you like? What makes you like certain tracks in an album more than others? You all get what I'm asking, I'm just trying to pick brains here :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Honesty and emotion while still having a presence of mind

You can virtually feel the catharsis/frustration being let out on that snare

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Honestly, a number of things. Usually it's some form of hook I can latch onto that makes me want to listen to something in it's entirety. Could be Vocals/Bass/Guitar/Drums/Anything else, but it has to have something that'll make me want to go back and re-listen to a certain track. I still have some albums that I've left on in the background and never even given a chance again just for a general lack of a hook.

A ton of instrumental guitar music has that effect on me, I'd expect to enjoy them more but it's very rare that music like that makes me want to give it all another listen. The only artist that I've honestly played every track and album from is Joe Satriani, his playing's just great. Other than that, I have most of Steve Vai's stuff but I just don't connect with it, my favorite song of his is Freak Show Excess because it actually feels like it's not just a guitar-centric track.

nikolazjalic

Reaction score
I love when I listen to a song and I hear a part that makes me think "how in the absolute .... does a human being come up with this?" Being a composer myself, I can appreciate the talent that (usually) goes behind writing a song. Artists that appeal to me usually do so because listening to their music is like experiencing an expression of themselves. When an artist can write an awesome tune it's reflective of their emotions at the time and their creativity, and when it can resonate with a like minded listener such as myself it's like a connection is built between the listener and the artist. Sometimes it may resonate differently for each of them and they may take a different message from it but there is still some kind of connection none the less. It's like nit-picking the artist's brain.

Also, it sounds cool.

Dave_Magos

Ave Imperator..
Reaction score
I love innovative music and or stuff that elicits an emotional response.

I grew up listening to Rush, whom are the Kings of creating music that sings with that special magic. From Rush to Boards of Canada to Born of Osiris, every genre has its magic makers.

As a listener, that's what I listen for. As an Artist, that's what I aspire too.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
The best music, of course has emotion. Whether it's happy or sad, angry or relaxed, etc etc. If it has emotion, it's good.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
The best stuff sounds like it was made by homeless drug addicts in an abandoned bus station.

Because they absolutely HAVE TO DO THIS OR THEY WILL DIE.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
The most definable thing for me is for honesty and genuiness in the lyrics. Listening to some metal singer croak about how he loves Satan, or some 35-year-old dude pretending to have teenage angst, just feels insulting to me.

That sort of stuff happening in metal pisses me off the most. Metal's supposed to be about being true to yourself and not conforming to what society thinks you should be like, correct? Then why the _@#$ are you all so afraid of talking about something other than demons and the devil and stuff?

Bands having mojo is pretty big too, but I have no idea how you can discuss that.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I've always stuck with the music that just makes me "feel". Also, music that just sounds like the people writing it put their heart and soul into draws me in.

I'm just a big fan of true music and art.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
it can be a lot of things.
what gets me most time a thick atmosphere.
But it can be vocals, arrangements, melodies...anything basically.
The first time i heard The Safety Fire was huge for me. the vocals and the melodies really stuck in my head for days.

7 horns 7 eyes.... that atmo and heavyness is just too great.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I look for just big climaxes in the song structure, parts that inspire me, or that I can emotionally attach to either lyrically or instrumentally. I love when music has personality, like Devin Townsend's music is literally his personality in the form of music.listening to Devon's music is just like experiencing a conversation with him. I like any music from dream theater and Devin Townsend to born of Osiris and veil of Maya. I really like epic and intense composition that also has that touch of character to it.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I've never actually thought about this, and honestly, I probably couldn't put it into words.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Hearing something different, even its one riff off an entire album, can get me into something. I don't want to hear regurgitated fanboyism from bands, I wanna hear progress! even if you're a ....in' punk band, do something a little different.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Songwriting.

I want to be able to distinguish a song from another, beyond riffs and drum patterns. I want those unique moments in a song that make me say "wow".

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Atmosphere is the most important thing.

Yup 100% atmosphere/vibe/emotion for me. This is why I have no specific favourite style and can easily greatly like/dislike bands or songs that other people might consider very dissimilar/similar by style alone.

8last

Reaction score
If I get mental images and visuals just hearing a song, that's power. When a song inspires , is the most important thing

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
those parts/riffs that you cannot even try to not move to - bob your dead, move around, etc

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
First and above all, the best music (in my opinion) is extreme to a certain degree. This doesn't only mean as in metal extreme, but overall standing out. In this way, some types of jazz music are extreme, some types of electronic music (I <3 gabba), etc. Second, is how much is the music interesting. To an extent, it comes out of point one. If music does not stand out in some way, it is not interesting. Catchy riffwork, catchy beats, clever composition, something that makes me go "wow", something interesting enough to be played over and over and never get boring. Third is melody. My favorite kind of music features sad (Even better if depressing) melodies when it gets melodic, and heavy as .... parts to balance it out. Fourth would be brutality and heaviness, the more brutal and heavy, the better. Fifth is production value. My perfect album would be heavy as fuuuuuck. Heavier than The Cleansing production wise, whether it was slam death or electronic music. It must be heard and hit you so hard that you will actually feel it. Shit ton of bass and sub bass, yet if possible extremely clear (I dont think that is possible so far). Make the production live up to the music.

I dont care about stuff like lyrics. 90% of lyrics are not worth a shit, so I've learned to just not care and care about the delivery, catchy vocal phrasing, powerful voice if clean, etc.

')