Where does the value lie in the music you enjoy?

• Thread starter DoomJazz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitareben

Reaction score
Well... I mean, fundamentally, I like music that I like.

Its like asking why you like certain foods. You just do.

(maybe that's just me)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
Well... I mean, fundamentally, I like music that I like.

Its like asking why you like certain foods. You just do.

(maybe that's just me)

I can articulate that I prefer foods that are sweeter or high in carbs in general, that are also simpler in taste, save anything indian food, curry gives me a boner.

Dare you to try again :cool:

ghost2II2

Reaction score
Music tends to serve as a snapshot of something I've experienced, something I want to experience, but perhaps, never will other than through the music. The music I listen too can often be a reflection of my mood. It can be something that I relate too, or sparks my imagination or curiosity in some way. Whether it's through the act of listening or creating, music is almost always cathartic for me in some way.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Most of the time it's guitar driven, but it can be simple. I like Ramones but I also like extreme stuff like Carcass and I love bass groovy things like RHCP as well. Mostly guitar driven rock and metal, and a lot of it is heavy, but I don't like all heavy bands, some of them are really boring (it doesn't have to be just heavy, it has to have a purpose).

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I find that all the music that I thoroughly enjoy -no matter what kind or what style or sound or whatever- helps me to not kill buttloads of people.

:)

guitareben

Reaction score
I can articulate that I prefer foods that are sweeter or high in carbs in general, that are also simpler in taste, save anything indian food, curry gives me a boner.

Dare you to try again :cool:

:lol:

Ahh, but why do you prefer foods sweeter or higher in carbs etc? Can you articulate that :p

But I see your point... I try not to think about it most of the time, I think that formulating an idea of why I like what I like can hinder my appreciation of new music. I try and have an open mind (note, try).

Repner

Reaction score
Cowbell.

I mostly look for melody, atmosphere, and good composition skills. Diversity is a nice bonus as well.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
This can be a very lengthy response, but I'll try to keep it down.

The values in music that I enjoy the most are creative flowing arrangements, melody, a touch of technicality, but most importantly - atmosphere. Atmosphere, to me, is extremely important. It's the biggest attracting factor to my favorite bands and albums.

On that note of atmosphere, I become very instilled in dark, moody, dreary atmosphere. I love the haunting eerie moods, along with very dark and depressing moods. When it comes to black metal, I love the evil atmospheres. I can't completely answer the question as to why I love the darkness, but I just do. I'm attracted to evil and dark moods. Do I suffer from depression? Sometimes... it's not chronic or as unfortunate as others, but when it comes to the music that I enjoy, I simply get lost in it. The rest of existence fades away when I'm in the middle of a beautiful, depressing piece of music.

That may sound weird, and I don't blame others for thinking so, but it's just how it is for me.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
Most of the time, vocals. If I like the vocals of something, chances are I'll listen to it. I tend to prefer lower and easy to understand vocals like Whitechapel and The Acacia Strain. I'm not really big on super shreddy technical stuff. It bores me.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I've never actually thought about this, and honestly, I probably couldn't put it into words.

I feel the same way

and at that, I'd rather not question why I like what music I like, I think it would take some of the fun out of it

nikolazjalic

Reaction score
This can be a very lengthy response, but I'll try to keep it down.

The values in music that I enjoy the most are creative flowing arrangements, melody, a touch of technicality, but most importantly - atmosphere. Atmosphere, to me, is extremely important. It's the biggest attracting factor to my favorite bands and albums.

On that note of atmosphere, I become very instilled in dark, moody, dreary atmosphere. I love the haunting eerie moods, along with very dark and depressing moods. When it comes to black metal, I love the evil atmospheres. I can't completely answer the question as to why I love the darkness, but I just do. I'm attracted to evil and dark moods. Do I suffer from depression? Sometimes... it's not chronic or as unfortunate as others, but when it comes to the music that I enjoy, I simply get lost in it. The rest of existence fades away when I'm in the middle of a beautiful, depressing piece of music.

That may sound weird, and I don't blame others for thinking so, but it's just how it is for me.

I can completely understand this. I wouldn't say I'm a depressive person but I LOVE sad music. I think depression and sadness is the most powerful emotion that can be portrayed by music. I love energetic happy music too and I can usually get super pumped up to a house tune if I'm in the mood but put on some Chopin and I moved by it no matter how I'm feeling.

acrcmb

Reaction score
I look for music that move's me somehow whether it makes me depressed or upbeat I don't care as long as it has atmosphere that does something to me, I don't worry about genre or composition or anything else I simply sit back and listen, a good song will be an experience not just something to listen to, I will say i don't seem to be drawn towards the technical fast stuff sure it's impressive but it doesn't benefit the atmosphere of the song, for me I've always been more absorbed in a slow emotive riff than someone cleaning shredding it just sounds too robotic and emotionless, I like hearing the little accidental string scraps and stuff it adds the human element to music. I try to just sort of judge the music subjectively on it's merits I think if you start letting other things determine what music you listen to you just end up cutting yourself off from a lot of good stuff so I don't really go in with any set criteria.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I can completely understand this. I wouldn't say I'm a depressive person but I LOVE sad music. I think depression and sadness is the most powerful emotion that can be portrayed by music. I love energetic happy music too and I can usually get super pumped up to a house tune if I'm in the mood but put on some Chopin and I moved by it no matter how I'm feeling.

Absolutely. Sadness and depression, as you said, is extremely powerful and moving when put in a musical context; moreso than any other emotion. At least to me, anyway. Even if it's instrumental, I can still feel the gloomy mood and depressing messages sent by the music.

Nahkaparoni

Reaction score
Emotion, groove and musicianship at least to a certain extent. Emotion to make shivers run through your body, groove to make you tap your feet and bang your head and musicianship to make you inspired as a fellow musician. Doesn't have to be technical, but the music I enjoy has to have a certain something that I get addicted to, be it metal, pop, rock, classical or whatever. I'm not picky when it comes to genres. Amazing music is amazing regardless of stylistic aspects.

lawizeg

Reaction score
Intensity, emotion, groove & musicality, and ideas/meaning. Progressiveness also plays a role. I don't like typical stuff usually.

The groove and the musicality are definitely the biggest though.

')