Where to get .72 gauge or heavier gauges?

• Thread starter xmetalhead69
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The link I posted is from the instrument store too.
I tried to order few sets and few singles but in the end it showed they don't ship to Croatia.
Then my gf contact her cousin in Germany so we place his address as delivery add, and guess what, they don't ship to Germany either!! WTF, they ship only around the hood?

I think I got myself in some crappy situation. I have custom 8 string coming up and I don't have a string supplier. I tried with like 5 different distributors last night and they either don't ship to Croatia, or they don't have strings that thick or can't verify address :noplease:

Only thing left is Stringsdirect that hairychris recommended. I checked, they dont have ernie ball .074, but they have D'Addario. If they will ship, I will be more than happy!

That sucks. One day I'll do a European vacation, and I'll come well supplied with Agiles, amps, strings, etc. I'll meet you guys at an airport and just unload a hill of music stuff!:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffmagus

Reaction score
Happy to be a Mule Boy.

The only other sucky option I can think of is having to fork out for a Ernie Ball Baritone Set - which has a low .72 - it's by no means cheap, but as most shops only seem to cater single strings up to .58 it's the only other solution I can think of.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i love the ernie ball sound but i find they die fast tone wise, and their a tad ruff on the fingers

now the GHS ones i find are like playing silk and keep their tone for a good long while

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Comment received on one of my youtube videos today in which I play on the tele 8 string I built for Clive with the 28.31 '' scale...

Tuned to Low F sharp... Using .70 .60 10-46 standard

Enjoy :)

This is common-Standard tuning for two-lows eightstring guitars, right?

Gb-B-E-A-D-G-B-E?

Patrick. It sounds as if your gauges are a little thin..
A low .95 is fabulous for around Gb2-Standard to drop-Eb1.

.95 :rofl:

capo_fez

Guitar Tech/ Player
Reaction score
OK, here's what I have to do, I go to my local retailer that stocks EB singles. I had to try for several weeks, but he now stocks .072s and for .074s! I have to buy them half dozen plus at a time, but it's so worth it. They are only $1.50 each too! He just has to put them on order with more items so that he's not paying $5+ on shipping just for strings. You gotta work with the stores to really get the deals. Just don't go in there and walk out after getting told they don't have them. Ask when they can order. When the next order will be placed and how much per sting in advance. I personally use EB regular slinky 7s and a low .074. If I walk in there and buy at least a half dozen strings and 2 or more sets of 7's the dude is happy, I'm happy, and the world goes on it's merry little way. What I am still fighting for is to talk the major 7-string guitar string makers into making a good 8-string set. EB, DR, D'Addario, GHS, etc. If you check out the Meshuggah website, they use DR strings, but when it comes to the sizes they use, the public can't even get them. I am tired of having to shell out the extra cash for singles when the sets should be available shortly. We need enough demand to the companies to make this a reality, and not a dream.

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
Comment received on one of my youtube videos today in which I play on the tele 8 string I built for Clive with the 28.31 '' scale...

.95 :rofl:

Don't laugh - I have a 0.084" on the 28" side of my multiscale 8 which is very happy at F#0 but less happy if I tune to drop-E0. I've thought about stepping up to 0.090.

But then again I really like high string tension. :yesway:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Don't laugh - I have a 0.084" on the 28" side of my multiscale 8 which is very happy at F#0 but less happy if I tune to drop-E0. I've thought about stepping up to 0.090.

But then again I really like high string tension. :yesway:

Big difference between .095 and .95

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure nobody's going around putting 1" thick strings on their guitars :scratch:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I've used Elixir bass nanoweb bass strings and my guitar and they sounded fine, though I tried some Ernie balls and GHS bass strings that didn't sound good on my guitar at all.

If you're gonna use bass strings, makes sure they are very bright sounding.

Tesla_1989

Reaction score
You can get them online, juststrings.com has them, MF has them. I think even GC has them. If not, go into a local guitar shop and see if they have any in-stock or if you can order some, I've always been able to do that with a decent amount of luck.

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
A lot of bass sets have a .095 for the low E. There are no bass strings that are a full inch thick, so it's not really necessary to be that precise in reference. Garry Goodman makes strings close to 3/10ths of an inch, which is huge, and I don't know if anyone actually plays with them, though it would be cool if they did.

So the comment was funny just because a 95 really is a bass string, more or less. Just to compare, I'm using a 64 for my low F right now, and it's just about enough tension for my tastes. :shrug:

rew

Reaction score
i string my 7 with a dr tite fit nickel wound 10-50 six string set with a .65 sunbeam bass single. they're both nickel winding on a round core, and sound great together. at first i thought the only diff was the ball at the end, with on the bass string being much bigger, too big for the string-through hole on my guitar, so it pokes out a little but is stable. i just noticed, however, that the core for the bass string is larger than the core for the guitar strings, as can be seen around the ball end. still, i can't hear any difference.

Latest posts

')