Where to get a neck for custom 7?

Swever

speed kills
Reaction score
I've got a crazy idea of building a custom 7. :yesway: I think it's going be something strat-type with sss or ssh pickups, or maybe even four pickups (maybe two singles in bridge position to get a humbucking option... not sure yet) And it's going to have a maple neck with either no fretboard or maple fretboard. Anyway, as I'm not a luthier by any means so i'd prefer to get a ready neck for my first custom project. So the question is: are there any places to get a nice sevenstring neck exept warmoth? I'd prefer standart 25.5 scale to warmoth's 25 and probably, to pay a bit less if possible. :rolleyes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
im confused about the No fretboard thing??

But uh. Theres Christopher Woods, and Doug at Soulmateguitars .. look those two up on yahoo or so, but still like $300-ish a neck. Wont find cheaper than that unfortunately

Swever

speed kills
Reaction score
im confused about the No fretboard thing??

Some strats' necks have no separate board, the neck is single-piece maple. The truss rod is installed from the back of the neck, and it's channel is closed by a stripe of some dark wood (probably this thing inspired someone to build 3, 5, and more -piece necks, who knows)

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, it's known as skunk stripe :agreed:
Eric Johnson signatute strat is build that way without sepatare fretboard.

Swever

speed kills
Reaction score
but still like $300-ish a neck. Wont find cheaper than that unfortunately

So warmoth seems the best idea... hmmm But it's 25'... wtf...

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
So your choices are very limited, nobody will make a neck cheaper than 300$ (luthier), so or warmoth or I don't know. :scratch:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Yahh.. I think Chris Woods is probably the cheapest (I think maybe $200? its either his body or his necks that is 300, other is 200) but he is a pain to get a hold of, and dont expect it for a while.. but he makes good necks apparently when they are completed.

Doug at SMG might make them abit cheaper than 300, if your just doing something simple. He doesnt like options though, he wont do alot of things, and maple fretboards are like $75 upcharge so that would bring it higher..

Best bet might be your local luthier, because then you can at least check up on him often, etc. As long as he does good work. but yeh Its low options unfortunately, and ive been looking for a year now for better options with no avail =[

Swever

speed kills
Reaction score
Buy an ibanez 7 neck off ebay?

Yea, it'd be great to find a maple board ibanez (or some other brand) neck. But there are no 7string necks on ebay atm. And i'm not sure many 7string maple-board necks are sold genereally, because it's seems to be a rare thing.