Where to get strings for an 8 string.

• Thread starter cyberwaste6996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
On my 28" scale 8 string, I currently use a 9.5 gauge 6-string set from D'addario with an additional 54 or 56 for a low B, and anywhere from a 70-74(I am still experimenting). I am a certified dealer for D'addario, so I have access to their entire catalog. Their wound XL gauges run 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, and 80. They have some heavier singles, but with bass string ball ends. I would be happy to build sets for anyone on the forum. Just PM me. I could built 8 string sets for low F# tuning for about $8.50 a set plus shipping.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
On my 28" scale 8 string, I currently use a 9.5 gauge 6-string set from D'addario with an additional 54 or 56 for a low B, and anywhere from a 70-74(I am still experimenting). I am a certified dealer for D'addario, so I have access to their entire catalog. Their wound XL gauges run 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, and 80. They have some heavier singles, but with bass string ball ends. I would be happy to build sets for anyone on the forum. Just PM me. I could built 8 string sets for low F# tuning for about $8.50 a set plus shipping.

That's very cool sir. :yesway:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
IMO this thread should be stickied for future reference for anyone who gets an 8 string and is unsure where to get proper strings for them. I plan on getting the Schecter C-8 when it comes out, and this thread has been valuable in letting me know the availibility of non-custom strings of the heavier gauge.

romper_stomper

((AETOS))
Reaction score
I just ordered my first set from guitar center online. I ordered D'Adario 10-59 (seven string set) then an extra bass string .70. Expensive as hell though. I think I paid $19 or something like that. I don't like super tight tension and my rg2228 i think has .10-.65's so just a little more tension would do for me.

I was having trouble ordering strings too so yeah.....Guitars, Musical Instruments, and Musical Equipment from Guitar Center

just got my strings in last night and changed them out. huge diffrence!! Sounds great for me.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont have an 8 yet, so its nothing rally important as such, but i have a feeling im gona need to go either with a really heavy set, or a disgustingly long neck scale... im using a 13-80" set tuned to drop G#, and a 10-70" set tuned to drop B# on a 6...

With the 8's how much of a difference does the scale length make? Im probably talking mainly to people who have 29-32" necks rather than the 27.5, i dont think baritone will be long enough...

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Rondo ship the Intrepid with: .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072

I'll be waiting to see what the tension's like when I get mine in a couple of months (I won't be going lower then F#). I use D'Addario 10 - 59 on 7 strings, so hm, low F# would be .075+ but the scale's a couple of inches longer then my 7.

I'm looking forward to trying some different options.

obiwan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have ordered a B8 from Blackmachine which should be delivered in the next few weeks. It will come in with 8-11-15-22-32-42-60-80. I will go for standard tuning with low B and F# and don't think I will let the 80 on it, as not being used to it yet. Will try with a thinner one, let's say perhaps around 70-74.

This thread will be very useful for me as here in Switzerland extended range guitars are quite seldom despite having such an amazing guitar builder as Hufschmid, and now I know where to order my strings, thanks!

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
That's a 30 inch scale so 80 gives quite a high tension, but I can tell you that Doug knows what he's doing. Give those a try & see how you get on as you may not want to go much lighter.

FWIW Doug prefers building multi-scale for F# tuned instruments (F8) because they're closer to guitar characteristics, but the long scale B8s have awesome note clarity and are very aggressive!

obiwan

Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention mine will be a 28" scale instrument. But of course I first will try the strings that already are on the guitar. I am waiting since 20 months for this guitar, so the first thing I will do is running to the rehearsal room and trash the hell out of it :shred:

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I use Elixirs, but the 068 was too loose for me, I need something thicker. Are there any other long lasting strings in gauges ~74-80 that I could use as a F# string? I don't like the idea of having Elixirs as all the other strings and then having to change the F# string two or three times so that the tone will last as long as in the Elixirs :noway:

nuclearvoodoo

Circles Guitarist
Reaction score
I bought mine from stringsdirect.co.uk (d'addarios) i use a .60 and .80 for the top 2 strings on the RG2228 (tuned DAEADGBE) and just the stocks on the Agile Intrepid (which are .56 and .72 or something?). But yeah.. i'm in Australia and stringsdirect.co.uk shipped real quick, prob the best place for singles in heavier guages. :)

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I plan on using the same set I use for my Damien 7 with the same scal length.

Ernie Ball 2620 Power Slinky 7s

The strings run 11-14-18p-28-38-48-58

Just doing the math would tell me that I should run a 68 but I will more than likely try a 70 or 72 to start.

raisingfear101

Reaction score
I use Elixirs, but the 068 was too loose for me, I need something thicker. Are there any other long lasting strings in gauges ~74-80 that I could use as a F# string? I don't like the idea of having Elixirs as all the other strings and then having to change the F# string two or three times so that the tone will last as long as in the Elixirs :noway:

I know it's frowned upon, but maybe try elixer bass strings if you really want the F# to be an elixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')