Where to get strings for an 8 string.

• Thread starter cyberwaste6996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking. A 27'' scale tuned to E A D G C F A D. What gauge strings should I look for?

EDIT: 500th post!! woooooooo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
personally, i just use D'Addario's.

i get a .011 - .014 - .018 - .030 - .042 - .052 (6 string set)

then i get a single .064 (XL Nickel Round, since the pack is also XL Nickel Round) so that the set becomes a 7 string set (.011 - .014 - .018 - .030 - .042 - .052 - .064)

Then i get another single .074 (XL Nickel Round also) and again now its 8 string set (.011 - .014 - .018 - .030 - .042 - .052 -.064 - .074)

I tune to drop E and the strings are just perfect. Then again i play on a 30" scale. So if you want a little tighter strings on your shorter scale, then just increase the string gauges by a little, just experiment to find what you like, but NO BASS STRINGS, THEY SUCK! :agreed:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
The only bass strings I ever use on guitars are elixir nanowebs, anything else I put on sounded nice at first but mellowed out really quickly after that. You could also try using stainless steel bass strings.

Lasik124

Reaction score
There should be a Sticky Thread with just all the places you can buy 8 String Packs Etc

K-8

Reaction score
You can actually buy a legit 8 string set made specifically for schecter 8 strings at:
Drum City Guitarland

I don't think they're on the website but just call the store and they definitely carry them.

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
I'm thinking of tuning my Schecter C-7 to F# (without the high E).

Do you guys think the .80 will get through the stringthrough bridge or will i be needing to drill the hole bigger?

I did'nt know where to ask this question so:rolleyes:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to go this route, I have a 30" reverse headstock so I need the longer strings, Rondo specifically says they won't fit a 30".

Unless you've got something crazy going on the LaBella sets will work as the new ones are all 46 inches which is longer then all the other companies.... and if you need longer you can just order them to your specs from LaBella.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Unless you've got something crazy going on the LaBella sets will work as the new ones are all 46 inches which is longer then all the other companies.... and if you need longer you can just order them to your specs from LaBella.

Really? I assume that should work, I'm just worried about the low F string since the headstock is reversed, thanks dude!

I will probably order sets from both and see which I like best.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I just got confirmation the LaBella strings are wound to 43" and have an extra 3" of plain core after.

hrscrazyeightswhitebackground1.jpg

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Really? I assume that should work, I'm just worried about the low F string since the headstock is reversed, thanks dude!

I will probably order sets from both and see which I like best.

you need to measure up to the tuner, i suppose, and account for at least a turn or two to get the string wound up. so that's 30" + length to tuner at end of headstock+ a few inches more to wind it around

there was a thread on this a few months ago, you could try to find it

Groove

Reaction score
This is exactly the sort of thread i've been looking for!

I've ordered my Schecter C-8 today and because of the relatively small scale length (26.5") i'm going to have to have heavier gauge strings, am i right?

It comes stock with 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52, 64, 72; according to what i've read though the definition will be lacking unless I up the gauge of the strings (i don't know whether that is just the 7th and 8th or all of the strings). So i was thinking of going for the Beefy Slinky (the ernie ball coated ones, 11-54) but i'm confused as to what to go for with my 7th and 8th. Any help considering the shorter scale length?

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
This is exactly the sort of thread i've been looking for!

I've ordered my Schecter C-8 today and because of the relatively small scale length (26.5") i'm going to have to have heavier gauge strings, am i right?

It comes stock with 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52, 64, 72; according to what i've read though the definition will be lacking unless I up the gauge of the strings (i don't know whether that is just the 7th and 8th or all of the strings). So i was thinking of going for the Beefy Slinky (the ernie ball coated ones, 11-54) but i'm confused as to what to go for with my 7th and 8th. Any help considering the shorter scale length?

:welcome:

No way does the Schecter come with Light Top/Heavy Bottom by default. My guess is 9-42 + 56 + 72, in that range. Assuming you're tuning in standard (F# low) then those will be fine, or you can go 10-46 + 59/60 + 74 or more. A .009 string tuned to E @ 26.5-27.5" is pretty similar in tension to a .010 string tuned to E @ 25.5"

If you want megaheavy Jeff Loomis bridge cable strings, use the 10-52 + 64 + 80 or something nutsy like that. I'm going to try an 80 on my 8 when I get it, but only for drop tuning to E.

And for God's sake, use the string tension calculator stickied in the Gear & Equipment section.

:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')