Where to get strings for an 8 string.

• Thread starter cyberwaste6996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
you need to measure up to the tuner, i suppose, and account for at least a turn or two to get the string wound up. so that's 30" + length to tuner at end of headstock+ a few inches more to wind it around

there was a thread on this a few months ago, you could try to find it

I find that 1" is enough to get two solid winds out of all but the heaviest of strings, maybe leave 1.5" for your seventh and eighth strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groove

Reaction score
:welcome:

No way does the Schecter come with Light Top/Heavy Bottom by default. My guess is 9-42 + 56 + 72, in that range. Assuming you're tuning in standard (F# low) then those will be fine, or you can go 10-46 + 59/60 + 74 or more. A .009 string tuned to E @ 26.5-27.5" is pretty similar in tension to a .010 string tuned to E @ 25.5"

If you want megaheavy Jeff Loomis bridge cable strings, use the 10-52 + 64 + 80 or something nutsy like that. I'm going to try an 80 on my 8 when I get it, but only for drop tuning to E.

And for God's sake, use the string tension calculator stickied in the Gear & Equipment section.

:wavey:

Well I'm just new really i didn't realise there was the string tension calculator, cheers for that! The string gauges i mentioned i merely quoted from the Schecter website which i can't link because it seems to bring you straight to there homepage again. The details they have up though are still from their limited run of them last year.

Thanks for the adivice though, it is much appreciated! The only reason i asked about this was because i had read on a thread (possibly on this site) that due to its short scale length the note definition suffered and can be compensated for with heavier gauge strings. I will however check in with the shop i ordered from online, what gauge strings actually are on it!

I will definitely be lurking around here for a good few years :cool:

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
It's all good man, don't lurk, keep posting! I just meant to say that it takes a long time to build the knowledge up, but read and search and you will find much useful info. :cheers:

You will be fine with either 9 or 10 gauge string sets, a 56+ for a low B and a 72+ for a low F#. Will not be muddy. 26.5" is a big improvement in scale length from 25.5" for 8-strings.

Groove

Reaction score
It's all good man, don't lurk, keep posting! I just meant to say that it takes a long time to build the knowledge up, but read and search and you will find much useful info. :cheers:

You will be fine with either 9 or 10 gauge string sets, a 56+ for a low B and a 72+ for a low F#. Will not be muddy. 26.5" is a big improvement in scale length from 25.5" for 8-strings.

Well i say lurk because after reading some of replies people like yourself give (e.g in the amp thread a bit below this) i feel a bit out of my depth seeing as the C-8 will be my first ERG. Anyway i will see how the thing sounds when i get it and then decide, only thing is i don't know how i'm going to differentiate between whether the problem is down to my strings or the fact i'm running it through the clean channel of my Fender Deluxe with the boss gt-8 in front of it :lol: Anyway thanks for your help and as soon as i find out how to thank you i will be sending it right your way :scratch:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
This is exactly the sort of thread i've been looking for!

I've ordered my Schecter C-8 today and because of the relatively small scale length (26.5") i'm going to have to have heavier gauge strings, am i right?

It comes stock with 10, 13, 17, 30, 42, 52, 64, 72; according to what i've read though the definition will be lacking unless I up the gauge of the strings (i don't know whether that is just the 7th and 8th or all of the strings). So i was thinking of going for the Beefy Slinky (the ernie ball coated ones, 11-54) but i'm confused as to what to go for with my 7th and 8th. Any help considering the shorter scale length?

Those gauges should be fine for the 26.5 scale. Once you get the guitar, if any individual strings feel like they're not just right, experiment from there.

Vertigo

Reaction score
As I like D'Addario and Ernie Ball-strings was looking into this too and found a combo of D'Addario EXL157 & EXL110.

As buing individual strings of a certain amnufactorer might be for some a tad hard to find.

The EXL110 is wellknown and wellused and possibly can be found in cheaper bulk's and can supply the use of the thinner strings as the thicker ones might not break as easily.

Then using EXL157 Baritone strings set for the thickest 2 strings.

Giving the folloing

1E/ 2B/ 3G/ 4D/ 5A/ 6E/ 7B/ 8C#/
.10/ .13/ .17/ .26/ .36/ .46/ .56/ .68/

..or if you want just a little thicker 8th-string or only like Ernie ball, get the regular slinky for the first 6 strings and the last 2 with Baritone Slinky 2839
getting a .72 as thickest string.

As the baritone string-sets cost more(her anyway generally) than the std exl110-sets found this to be a nice solution.

thefpb2

Reaction score
i use ErnieBall strings, 70 gauge nickel wound electric guitar strings. they work wonderfully for me in terms of tone and tension i'm going for

drone

Reaction score
i work at a music store; you can custom order in an .080 from d'addario... like $4... i get a 10 - 54 set then at a 64 and an 80... 28.625 scale tho.. that makes a difference...

by custom order i mean ask your local shop to order one in, its not like theyre winding it just for you.. they have them in stock all the time.. might take a couple weeks to get it in..

jl_killer

Reaction score
Just wondering.. I see this string set available on the Schecter website.. I assume these are what they ship the guitars with stock, i have an 8 on order so should I order some of these for extras or wait and see what the strings feel like first? Anyone out there have used or do use these strings?

Attachments

• 8_String_Decimators.jpg
    8_String_Decimators.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 8_string_packaging_final_back.jpg
    8_string_packaging_final_back.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 51

Brutus

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks to everyone who's participating in this thread, it's very useful :)

My question : my guitar is a Schecter Damien Elite 8, the scale is 26-1/2
i live in Canada, province of Québec

Which strings should i get ? i play metal of course, heavy stuff, like after the burial (well not yet because i don't have enough skills, but eventually :p)

i'd like to know which brand of strings to get? i've seen "d'addario" seems to be most popular one, what about the gauges ? and why, when i want to buy some of the XL Nickel Wound strings, for the .72, it says it's ACOUSTIC or ELECTRIC ?? and then they don't give us the choice ? like it's going to be a surprise loll :p

Oh, and what are the default strings on it, anyone knows? Because to me they're fine i guess (but i haven't tried any other strings on it so i can't really tell, i still have the factory default setup on mine)

Thanks !

Necromechanical

I am a machine
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks to everyone who's participating in this thread, it's very useful :)

My question : my guitar is a Schecter Damien Elite 8, the scale is 26-1/2
i live in Canada, province of Québec

Which strings should i get ? i play metal of course, heavy stuff, like after the burial (well not yet because i don't have enough skills, but eventually :p)

i'd like to know which brand of strings to get? i've seen "d'addario" seems to be most popular one, what about the gauges ? and why, when i want to buy some of the XL Nickel Wound strings, for the .72, it says it's ACOUSTIC or ELECTRIC ?? and then they don't give us the choice ? like it's going to be a surprise loll :p

Oh, and what are the default strings on it, anyone knows? Because to me they're fine i guess (but i haven't tried any other strings on it so i can't really tell, i still have the factory default setup on mine)

Thanks !

I would suggest SIT Strings

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Go with the picture. Rondomusic isn't the best at accurately describing the things they sell. ;)

Reaction score
Reply from Kurt
"Yes, the sets have been updated as of Monday to have .074s - depending on
when your order went though, It might have the .072 or .074"

Good to know :)
I ordered on Thursday, so I'm guessing I'll get 0.72 :(

EDIT: He told me that he might send me a 0.74 when I get my package, since that's what it said on the site when I ordered. great customer service:)

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
does that 8 string kit fit on any guitar ?

Will work with Intrepid 8 string guitars with 25, 27, 28.625 and 30" scale length.
Will work with Septor & Interceptor 8 string guitars with 25.5", 27 and 28.625" scale.
Will not work with Septor 30" scale models.
Note:Older models may require drilling out the tuner for the .074

I hope he's actually tested the strings on those models instead of guessing. I would hate to get a set, take my old strings off, and then the new ones barely reach the tuners on my reverse headstock Septor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')