Where to try out mid/high end guitars

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
I currently play a Ibanez RG6003FM and I am looking at my next purchase to be in the mid - high end guitar spectrum(1000$+).

I was curious to know if there are any alternatives outside of Guitar Center and Sam Ash to be able to try out nicer guitars like an Ibanez Prestige, ESP E-II or Schecter that is not the Omen or C-6. In the local guitar store chains I have been to there are only 1 or 2 mid-high end guitars.

The problem is that I do not have enough knowledge or specific taste identified to know exactly what kind of guitar I want. This is why I do not feel comfortable purchasing a guitar online without playing it first.

I would really love to try out an Ormsby, Mayones, Skeversen but I am assuming that is not really possible where I am in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Is my only option to purchase a guitar online and then decide to return it or sell it later if I don't like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Red Dragon Guitars are based out of Sparta iirc, but Raleigh and the surrounding areas should have plenty of higher end guitar stores. Modern stuff like Mayones and Skervesen? Ehh, that's a stretch, but nonetheless there should be plenty of good guitar stores.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Not sure in your area. Sweetwater has a great return policy. They have some of what you like but no mayo or anything too small.

If you can't find a place I would just find a lower end guitar with the same type of neck and specs if you can find one and go from there.

If you are thinking ESP (E-II or higher) I can confidently tell you that you can buy one blind without playing it and will not be disappointed. I feel their thin U neck will accommodate any player from super thin original wizard players to Fatty Gibson to Fender, it is just an all around killer neck.

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
Not sure in your area. Sweetwater has a great return policy. They have some of what you like but no mayo or anything too small.

If you can't find a place I would just find a lower end guitar with the same type of neck and specs if you can find one and go from there.

If you are thinking ESP (E-II or higher) I can confidently tell you that you can buy one blind without playing it and will not be disappointed. I feel their thin U neck will accommodate any player from super thin original wizard players to Fatty Gibson to Fender, it is just an all around killer neck.
Thanks a lot for your advice, I really appreciate it. I actually played an ESP LTD MH-350FM at guitar center the other day and it played amazing, my main concern was the neck because I really like the Ibanez wizard neck but the Thin U neck on the ESP felt perfect.

I am going to most likely purchase a LTD MH series guitar without a Floyd Rose, or possibly a E-II if I can convince my wife :)

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think that buying blind offline from a reputable dealer (Sweetwater, ZZZSounds etc) with a generous return policy is becoming the best option when buying new guitars.

I know my GC and Sam Ash almost never have any higher tier Ibanez, Esp, or Schecters to try out unless they're used. Especially extended range.stuff.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Find every guitar shop in the area you're willing to drive to and play everything.

Folks often make mistakes when they go from a relatively cheap production instrument up to something high end.

Your honesty is refreshing to say the least.

It can be tempting to get something fancy and flashy and expensive, but you owe it to yourself to take it slow, play tons of guitars, get to know yourself as a player, what your needs and wants are, what's important and what isn't. All the fancy specs in the world aren't going to matter if it's not what you need.

This takes time. Until you know what you want you'll be flushing money down the toilet just buying expensive stuff because people you've never met on the internet say so.

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
Find every guitar shop in the area you're willing to drive to and play everything.

Folks often make mistakes when they go from a relatively cheap production instrument up to something high end.

Your honesty is refreshing to say the least.

It can be tempting to get something fancy and flashy and expensive, but you owe it to yourself to take it slow, play tons of guitars, get to know yourself as a player, what your needs and wants are, what's important and what isn't. All the fancy specs in the world aren't going to matter if it's not what you need.

This takes time. Until you know what you want you'll be flushing money down the toilet just buying expensive stuff because people you've never met on the internet say so.
You are spot on, I realize now that I convinced myself only expensive guitars are worth owning because of all the amazing guitars people are posting on this forum.

I am actually quite happy with my RG6003FM and after recently playing a ESP LTD MH350 at Guitar Center($800 price tag) which I really connected I feel much more confident about finding my next guitar.

Prior to getting my current Ibanez I was playing a ESP LTD M-10 and it did well for me while I was was learning, I had no problems with it and only noticed the difference after playing the RG.

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
I'd 100% buy a Eii esp blind I've yet to see something esp japan japan had put out that wasn't exceptional.

You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice, I really appreciate it. I actually played an ESP LTD MH-350FM at guitar center the other day and it played amazing, my main concern was the neck because I really like the Ibanez wizard neck but the Thin U neck on the ESP felt perfect.

I am going to most likely purchase a LTD MH series guitar without a Floyd Rose, or possibly a E-II if I can convince my wife :)

If you can get the E-ii go for it.

I am getting the new E-ii M-ii hipshot when it comes out in May. I had an LTD MH-1000 for a minute and if you like those necks I think you will like the E-ii even more. E-ii is the same neck with a slightly more comfortable radius and much better build quality in my opinion. I own a Standard Series which is what E-ii is now and it is super nice and worth the extra $$$ to me.

Latest posts

')