Which 2 Pickups for a Mahogany Ibanez S?

• Thread starter SweepsAllDay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SweepsAllDay

Bow to Keyboard Cat.
Reaction score
Just ordered my S7320, and making plans for upgrades.

I've decided to go with Dimarzio, unless someone can suggest something different w/ reasoning behind it. I'm not doing actives, I've done actives for years and want to try something different, and not have to mess with a battery.

So... suggestions? Keep in mind it's a mahogany body. Also... everywhere I look, I can't find a site where I can order a colored pickup... they have the 6 strings in different colors... but I was wanting one colored(either green, chrome, or red) and one white pickup.

Thanks for the help :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I think you can get most Dimarzio 7's in green and white. And what kinda sound you looking for? there are a LOT of Dimarzio models that will get you a lot of different sounds.

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
just ordered mine too man! :hbang:

i would also like to see the responses that arise because i have never owned a mahogany bodied guitar before.

Reaction score
This is relevant to my interests.
I'm in the same boat with the recent 7320 purchase and desire for passive pickups, and so far have been checking out video reviews and seem to be leaning towards a Blaze bridge. I'm running an ampeg VH-140C 2x12 combo head through a peavey 4x12 with everything 10'd out but the gain and volume, and have a really bright, crisp aggressive metal sound so i'm thinking the scooped tone wouldn't hurt?
/hijack

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
X2N + solidstate = awesome, I'd go with that. Chris who used to be the admin uses solidstate too and beats off to the blaze so that would work as well haha.

SweepsAllDay

Bow to Keyboard Cat.
Reaction score
I play through a 6505+, Vader Cab, with a Maxon OD-9 tubescreamer. I'm mainly just looking for very clear but chunky tight heavy tone, not overly bright. but not sterile like EMG's.

Solstafir

Reaction score
Hmm.. I'd try Evo's, they slay in mahogany, X2N for bridge will also be awesome through SS amp (remember how Schuldiner used to do it? :hbang: )

jsousa

Reaction score
heres a couple vids of me with me S5470 (steve's special bridge/tone zone reversed neck)

Iceblade

Reaction score
heres a couple vids of me with me S5470 (steve's special bridge/tone zone reversed neck)

Jsousa,

Unfortunately, they don't make the SS for a 7-string, though allegedly the Blaze model was based on it, IIRC. Also, the TZ7 is said to be significantly different (in a BAD way) to the the 6 string variety.

That being said, I dug your clips bigtime, but they won't help most of us 7str players in terms of picking pickups to retrofit in the S7. :(

Regs,
Jeff

Shep1

Reaction score
It's all down to your playing style etc however, I think a Dimarzio CrunchLab/DSonic/X2N - Liquifire combination is excellent for metal playing; but if you want to die with from the meanest sound youll ever hear, go with a Bare Knuckle Warpig combination.

maccayoung

Reaction score
I've got a seymour duncan JB in the bridge of mine and I'm really happy with it.

')