Which Agile to get?

evilmnky204

Reaction score
hey guys. last year i managed to snag a sweet intercepter pro 725, and i love it. problem is, my 6 string guitar that i had before it has.. well.. gone to hell. i'm looking for a good guitar now to back up my interceptor. i'm not really interested in tuning low, i mainly use drop c# for the most part. i'm torn between two agile guitars mainly:

Agile AB-3000 Baritone BK at RondoMusic.com
and
Agile AL-3000 Nat Spalted Slim Profile at RondoMusic.com

i like the idea of the baritone (my fingers are long), and the increased clarity with the longer scale is nice. also, i play with small strings (i use a 9-46 set for drop c#, works perfectly for me), so the tension boost is nice as well.
however, i'm not too sure on the pickups. i know i can always buy emgs and just swap them, but i'm a bit short on the money and i don't know if that's exactly a good option. however, the scale length is preferable, and i'd probably have fun using the unison tunings or however you call them (the tuning sikth uses, the two G#'s, an octave apart).

now the al3000 spalted thin also appeals to me. im starting to get more into the les paul shape, and i like how it makes it look massive. again, im not tuning low, so the scale wont bother me, but it'll limit my upper range movement for sure. i don't use the upper register too much, but i like to sweep here and there, so im not sure about how comfortable i'd be with the higher frets. but, the neck is really thin (it says 17 mm at the first fret, that's ibanez neck level pretty much?). however, again, i'm not too sure on the pickups. can it retain clarity nicely? i'm not asking for BKPs here, but i just want to know if i can nail a nice metal tone and a nice clean, jazz tone with it. also, if i get this guitar, will i be able to remove that white thing that sticks out by the bottom of the pickups? i'm not too big a fan of it, so i'd probably get rid of it if i can.

again, i'd only really keep my guitar in drop c#, but if i got the baritone, i'd do some more experimenting with unison tunings. i'm completely torn between the two, which one would you guys recommend? looks aren't a big factor, though i do love me some spalted maple. basically, which one is more higher-quality? thanks again guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

evilmnky204

Reaction score
how do the pickups on those sound? i know their passive 8 string pups are pretty good from what i've heard, but i haven't heard much about those..

soliloquy

Reaction score
the active pickups on agiles are supposedly very clear and can stand up well against EMGs. haven't heard too many people swapping them to EMGs or blackouts if at all.

the pickups on the AL work for most people who keep their tuning to standard E or drop it down to D every now and then. they alnico Vs are very articulate, and they are very good with the mids, highs and lows. everything comes out as huge and open.

the neck on slims are amazing! though they are fairly thin, they dont feel uncomfortable. this is something i notice about ibanez. my hands cramp up with the thickness of their necks, but with these, NO WAY! and the thinnes for some reason adds to the frets. the frets feel much taller than they actually are. and since its thinner, it improves the upper neck access a bit more as you can press down on the neck near the joint a bit more rather than on the regular necked ALs.

my personal bias is towards the ALs as i'm more into classy guitars than metal guitars. so your choice. but if you're tuning the ALs down to C#, then you may wanna throw in 11-50s or something there. maybe 10-49s.

evilmnky204

Reaction score
the sound im looking for is more a nice crunchy sound, akin to that of BTBAM. i think the al thin might be my best bet, thats the one im leaning towards.

oh, and just to clarify, i mean BTBAM during when they played "Alaska". THAT is the tone im looking for. nice, open, lots of mids.

soliloquy

Reaction score
keep in mind, the only 'down' side to ALs is that their weight is all over the map. my 3000 slim neck is at a comfy 8.5(i think its .5) lbs. but my 3100 is a beast at 13 lbs!

others have had theirs for lighter or heavier. a nice No.1 strap like buckethead would be quiet handy with this...

evilmnky204

Reaction score
more weight is fine for me, i really like to 'feel' my guitar. that being said, i'd still rape someone for a parker regardless. :lol:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you want a baritone the LTD ones are really nice and don't go for too much money used 3-400$

evilmnky204

Reaction score
im actually pretty interested in the mhb-400 (if that's the one you were referring to?), all maple means it must be pretty bright, maybe a bit too bright though. electronics and such seem great, i dont mind the emgs at all. however, all the ones i seem to find are $550 and up, you mind showing me where you see it for $3-400?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
usually on ebay, the new ones don't have a maple body

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering parting with my AL3100 + case for a nice schecter I saw, as I want to have a go on a superstrat for a little bit. Amber finish, no chips or dings, and holds up well in drop C. It is at the same level of quality as my old gibson les paul studio :).

If you're interested in an AL, it may be a cheaper option for you.

evilmnky204

Reaction score
hmm, after thinking about it a bit more, i'm more and more inclined for the agile baritone. i played my friends LP copy, and while it still appeals to me, i think i'd rather go for the longer scale, personally. thanks though. :D

soliloquy

Reaction score
I'm considering parting with my AL3100 + case for a nice schecter I saw, as I want to have a go on a superstrat for a little bit. Amber finish, no chips or dings, and holds up well in drop C. It is at the same level of quality as my old gibson les paul studio :).

If you're interested in an AL, it may be a cheaper option for you.

you haven't posted any pics of your guitar here...have you? the search came blank.

got any pictures for it?

Reaction score
I almost went with a AL-3000 nat spalted, but opted for a LP studio premium plus. Everything I read about the AL was great, however the necks on LP styled guitars usually feel pretty "small".

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
you haven't posted any pics of your guitar here...have you? the search came blank.

got any pictures for it?

16748_179297574628_508644628_2701567_401256_n.jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
/\ ah, by amber, i thought you mean tiger eye. :)

either way, cant afford it due to stupid uni! :(

')