Which amp to buy first?

anendlessches

Reaction score
I have found two amps that I want to buy, and I need some input as to which one I should prioritize first. I'm just done with school and don't have a job yet, so I do not have lots of money, and I'm also building a home studio, which means even less money.. So if I buy one amp, I will have to wait a while before I can buy the other.

The amps I am considering are Bugera 6262 (and then change all the tubes to better ones), or a Laney Ironheart IRT Studio. The 6262 is 120W and the IRT is 15W, so quite a big difference there. I want the IRT because it would be a perfect home studio amp, but the 6262 I think would be really good for playing live with my band. The 6262 will cost me about 370 USD (3000 NOK) and the IRT about 430 USD (3500 NOK).

Would the IRT be enough for a gig? The cabs are pretty much always 412's with an SM57 or e906 in front.
Would the 6262 be any good in my home studio? I'm thinking it'll be quite loud, especially because I need to turn it up to really get the good sound from the tubes.. I am going to build an iso cab for guitar recording (simple double layer wood with something in between, and acoustic tiles all over the inside).

Which one would be the best one to get to be able to do both recordings at home and use on stage?

My band plays metalcore, if that makes a difference. And yeah, also, which one of those amps do you think will sound best for that? I want to be able to do both the Parkway Drive type mid-scooped and the more djenty type of sound.

(And by the way, I know the 6262 is a 6505+ ripoff and all that, and the 6505/5150 would be the best for metalcore, but they are more expensive and stuff so these are the amps I am considering, live with it.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

starbelly

Reaction score
Would you consider the Peavey 6505MH? I just got one and it rips. 20 watts should hold up in a band setting, especially if you've got a nice cab. Additionally, for home use, you can take it down to 5 watts, and even 1 watt. It even has direct USB recording capabilities.

This demo video was just posted today, you should consider it!

anendlessches

Reaction score
Would you consider the Peavey 6505MH? I just got one and it rips. 20 watts should hold up in a band setting, especially if you've got a nice cab. Additionally, for home use, you can take it down to 5 watts, and even 1 watt. It even has direct USB recording capabilities.

This demo video was just posted today, you should consider it!

That sounds like an amazing alternative actually, but the problem is that it would cost me about twice as much as the 6262 would, and I can't get it used (at least not here in Norway) like the 6262 or the IRT. The prices I mentioned are what I'd have to pay to buy them used since I can't really afford buying new amps right now.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
If you dig the Laney's sound get the IRT,overall it is a better tool than the 6262 for studio,recording etc and unless you gigging big venues 15w on a 412 is enough.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd point out that if you are replacing all the tubes right away factor the cost of those into the 6262 when you compare its price vs a 6505

Dillen

Reaction score
De t your budget maybe a pod hd, you have good recording capabilities, effekt to use such as revers, noice gates etc. If you are on a budget i would start with a pod and then save up for an amp which you're satisfied with rather thank buying amps that you will repade in the future.

anendlessches

Reaction score
De t your budget maybe a pod hd, you have good recording capabilities, effekt to use such as revers, noice gates etc. If you are on a budget i would start with a pod and then save up for an amp which you're satisfied with rather thank buying amps that you will repade in the future.

Both those amps are amps that I want, and that I think I will be using for a long time. I am planning on buying them both, but I'm just wondering which one I should buy first, because I can't afford both right now, I'll buy the other one later.
I will not buy a POD or another modeller. I already have a lot of plugins on my computer that I use for recording, but I want real tube amplifiers instead. I know there are many good modellers out there, the POD's included, but there's nothing quite like some good ol' tubes!

anendlessches

Reaction score
Meteoro MAK3000. Perfect first amp. If you want to get arrested.

Well, that amp will probably be difficult to find used in Norway, plus it is 280 freaking watts, which is kind of insane. It looks like it could be a cool amp, but I'm really just asking which one I should by first of the Bugera 6262 and the Laney IRT Studio, because those are the amps that I am planning on buying and I know I can get them used in Norway.

Also, it will not be my first amp, I already have 3 (some small Cruiser by Crafter combo that came with my first guitar, an Orange Micro Terror with a PPC108 cab, and an Orange TH30H with a PPC112 cab).

Dillen

Reaction score
For recording capabilities i would go with the irt studio
For gigging i would go for the 6262. The bugera sounds good overall and have the capacity to play in a band. Both can do the type of tones you want with different voicings.
Personally i would go for the laney mostly due to its sound, its recording capabilities and the mobility of the amp.