Which bareknuckles?

• Thread starter Arterial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arterial

Dreamer
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am looking for a pickup change for my Ibanez J-Custom RG8570DR.

It currently has a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton set in it.

As of right now, the tone zone is very sharp and the output is really too high that I can't get single note clarity when playing arpeggios. The air norton isnt too bad, but I am interested in swapping it out for different pickup to try it out too.

I like tones similar to Periphery, The Faceless, BTBAM, Gojira, The Contortionist.

Specs for the J custom are:

Body : Flamed Maple(Top), Mahogany(Back)
Neck : 5 Piece(Maple+Bubinga)/Wizard neck
Finger board : Rosewood(Flame Maple binding)

Which bareknuckles would provide me with:
Single note clarity, aggression and tightness for the bridge
Smoothness and clarity for the neck.

Thank you for your time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I have never heard the TZ described as too sharp sounding and high output for arpeggios. What is your rig?

jem777az

Reaction score
I would recommend a Painkiller in the Bridge and a Cold Sweat in the neck. I have this combo in a guitar with the same wood types as yours. This combo is made for those woods and will definitely get you the sounds you are looking for.

abstract

Reaction score
I'd say Aftermath (for pure tightness and punch) or Ceramic Nailbomb (a bit more compression and more forgiving) in the bridge and Aftermath or Coldsweat in the neck.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem I am seeing here is that all the pickups mentioned here are hotter, more aggressive and brighter than a TZ by far. So if he thinks the TZ is too sharp sounding I don't see how any of these pickups will work for you. I think you have an EQ issue. Not that the TZ is better than any of these pickups mentioned, but if you are having issues with a TZ which is a bassy, and pretty smoothly voiced pickup I think they will be magnified by something hotter and brighter. I would recommend an alnico Warpig.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
so what we gather so far, is ANY bareknuckle in ANY position? lol

i personally am starting to find that pickups are just pickups. If i want the same type of sound out of all my guitars, ill just have to put the SAME pups in all of them and adjust my eq accordingly.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
Yes indeed, any BKP in any position will get you any tone! Just call up the Zim-meister who has the entire stock at competitive prices!

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
You could do a Rebel Yell / bridge and VHII / neck. Alnico, but the RY is supposed to be the tightest alnico pickup BKP has.

I've never heard of the Tone Zone being sharp or lacking clarity, either, though, so I'm not totally sure if a pickup change will help that :scratch:

Either way, you can PM Nick/Zimbloth on here, or email Tim directly @ BKP, they're both super helpful and (to my knowledge) have yet to steer someone wrong.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I highly recommend the coldsweat bridge, painkiller neck combo. IMHO it's the best combo ever. If you don't like a mid spike in your neck pup I recommend the nailbomb neck.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree with yellowy and Philligan here. The Tone Zone is one of the smoothest pickups Dimarzio has made. I've got one on my Charvel and it's never been sharp sounding.

You might wanna try tweaking your amp settings before you consider forking out cash for Bareknuckles.

I have no experience on Bareknuckles but if you're still set on them, check with Zimbloth.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I'm thinking Rebel Yell, Aftermath or Miracle Man. Calibrated pairs are great way to go. Zim has the most accurate advice and the best prices. Call him at the Axe-Palace.

')