Which Bass is Better?

• Thread starter 4String
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4String

Reaction score
I need help.
I'd like to know which instrument has more quality and which will just sort of "feel" good holding it and playing it. I've owned the IbanezSR506 and absolutely loved it. I had to get my money back due to financial issues, but now I have the money again.

So here it goes.

IbanezSR506
"The Ibanez SR506 Bass is an incredibly well-crafted and equipped bass for its price. It features a slim, fast SR6 5-piece jatoba and bubinga neck on a sculpted mahogany body. The rosewood fretboard is fitted with medium frets and has oval abalone markers. Equipped with a B106 bridge 2 Bartonlini MK1-6 pickups that integrate perfectly with the active Bartolini MK1 3-band EQ. It's a bass that will excel in any style of music."
Ibanez SR506 Soundgear 6-String and more 6+ String Electric Bass at GuitarCenter.com.

ESP LTD B-206SM
"A spalted maple top and ash body combine for beauty and tone on the striking ESP B-206 6 string bass. ESP pickups at the neck and bridge with volume and balance controls are complemented by active 3-band EQ for maximum tone tweakability. 24 XJ frets and abalone dot inlays on a rosewood fingerboard. Maple-walnut neck has a 35" scale."
ESP LTD B-206SM 6-String Bass and more 6+ String Electric Bass at GuitarCenter.com.

Which has the better woods? Which has the overall better pickups? Over quality, and worthy? Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of that is personal preference because Mahogany and Ash are both great as are the pickups on both but totally different so it just depends on the sound you're after. I'd also give a look to different models as ESP expanded their 6 string lineup to include the B-206, B-416SM & B-1006.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
One man's garbage is another man's treasure... I think this really holds true for instruments. I don't think anyone can tell you what instrument is right for you. Get out there and play them both. Which ones speaks to you more? You know which one to get now. ;)

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Neither.

Ibanez BTB676:

48765_l.jpg

ixlramp

Reaction score
I own a BTB676, it's an amazing bass for the price, and neck-through too. More ergonomic than the SR.
But considering your choice, they're both great basses you can't go wrong, but the ESP has XJ frets and a longer scale, which swings it for me.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
I need help.
I'd like to know which instrument has more quality and which will just sort of "feel" good holding it and playing it.

You're the only one who will know which one feels good in your hands, we probably can't help you there.

Tough dilemma though, both those basses are good quality and are pretty sweet sounding!

It's been awhile since I played an ESP, but I'm pretty sure the Ibanez will have a thinner, "faster" neck.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I played an ESP, but I'm pretty sure the Ibanez will have a thinner, "faster" neck.

True IME. If I remember correctly the Ibanez is also lighter and more "ergonomic" feeling overall. ESP looks cooler though.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
If you actually use the B string a lot, I'd go 35" scale in principle (Barts on the Ibanez are great but rosewood is my least favorite fretboard material... it feels porous and cheap to me relative to maple/pau ferro/ebony). I guess you've got to feel them in person to make a decision.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
My vote is not to limit yourself between Ibanez and Ltd. Tryout more stuff theres some sick used stuff on ebay.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If you actually use the B string a lot, I'd go 35" scale in principle (Barts on the Ibanez are great but rosewood is my least favorite fretboard material... it feels porous and cheap to me relative to maple/pau ferro/ebony). I guess you've got to feel them in person to make a decision.

With DR DDT strings, you can get by with a 34" easily, but if you want a lot of options I agree, 35 is good. Otherwise you need .135 for a good B.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I don't get it, but I have played 34" scale instruments with the standard .125 low B that sound and feel great, and 35" scale basses with a .135 that are very rattly and floppy. There's something construction-wise that happens, even from bass to bass.

Reaction score
THE BEST BASS IS THE ONE THAT FITS BETTER TO YOU.

*insert bass philosophy here* :lol:

not joking,try them out if you can.

Mc_rae

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go for the Ibanez because I prefer a fatter neck on my basses, (again, personal preference,) but I've found that the ESP stock pups sound pretty cheap. I would either save up some extra coin for a 416 or even a 1006 or get the 206 and replace the pups with some EMGs.

However if you prefer a thinner neck, then go for the Ibanez.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I don't get it, but I have played 34" scale instruments with the standard .125 low B that sound and feel great, and 35" scale basses with a .135 that are very rattly and floppy. There's something construction-wise that happens, even from bass to bass.

The stiffness of the instrument's neck is a big factor IME.

For example, a .125 works fine on my 34" Carvin, but the the low B on my old MIJ Fender will sound and feel terribly floppy using the exact same string. I feel the Fender's brighter tone should give it an advantage in articulation. But this seems to be overruled by the fact that the neck on the Carvin is stiff while the Fender's... not so much.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
The stiffness of the instrument's neck is a big factor IME.

For example, a .125 works fine on my 34" Carvin, but the the low B on my old MIJ Fender will sound and feel terribly floppy using the exact same string. I feel the Fender's brighter tone should give it an advantage in articulation. But this seems to be overruled by the fact that the neck on the Carvin is stiff while the Fender's... not so much.

What? How stiff the neck is doesn't have anything to do with string tension. Scale however, does.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
What? How stiff the neck is doesn't have anything to do with string tension. Scale however, does.

I'm not saying the stiffness of the neck is a factor in string tension. You're right, the scale length is the only construction variable there. However it is a factor in a string's response when played.

That's why I used my Carvin and my Fender to illustrate my point. Both are 34" scale instruments, yet the B string performance with the exact same string is noticeably different between the two instruments, even unplugged. The difference in neck neck stiffness is the only variable I can think of that could could account for the difference in B string response (again, not tension) in this situation. That is why I used this example in response to the post about differing B string performance amongst instruments with the same scale and the same strings.

Sorry if I was unclear. I don't buy into stuff about string length behind the bridge or nut, or even the neck's construction affecting the tension of the string because it makes no sense scientifically. However those variables will affect the string's response when plucked, and thus the sound and feel. And FWIW, the consensus amongst bass players and builders is that a stiff neck is important far a good-sounding B strings, especially on shorter scale instruments.

')