Which Dimarzios do i have in this ibanez "green dot"

• Thread starter sunken0887
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sunken0887

Reaction score
so i bought an ibanez universe "green dot" and i'm pretty sure its a used 91 model as most have been telling me, but the pickups are not green like it came with standard

so i unscrewed the pick guard and to no surprise they are Dimarzios and to no surprise they are unlabeled(which i think is absolutely terrible on Dimarzios part) but i was able to see the patent number which is 4,501,185, and on the website it says that patent number is affilated with the Dimarzio blaze pickups which is great to have the info, but i ran into another problem, seems that some of the evolution 7s also have this patent number(umm what?)

so that leads me to the question how do i know if these are blaze 7's or evolution 7s? anyone know of any other labeling system Dimarzio uses, i did notice that the patent number stickers where a specific color, does that have any significance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whammy

Reaction score
Generally speaking any aftermarket DiMarzio pickup will be labeled on the base plate with the model number.
Some DiMarzio pickups that come stock in the guitar do not have this model number on the base plate

No Ibanez Universe ever came with the Evo7 as stock. So an educated guess would lead me to believe that the pickups in question are the original Blazes.

Both pickups have distinctively different tonal qualities but if you want to be 100% sure then you'll need to check the DC Resistance.
Blaze Bridge = 20.75 Kohm
Evo 7 = 14.09 Kohm

sunken0887

Reaction score
No Ibanez Universe ever came with the Evo7 as stock. So an educated guess would lead me to believe that the pickups in question are the original Blazes.

yes i know this is true, but as far as my knowledge no ibanez universe green dot ever came with all black colored pickups stock, which leads me to believe that the pickups are not the stock blazes, or maybe the dude didn't like green blazes so he bought black blazes, or he bought black evo7s? how do i know?

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I guess the question is...

do you like how they sound?
1. Yes: leave them there
2. No: Change them

:lol:

If you are planning on removing them and selling them, then my plan has failed and I am no help to you anymore :rofl:

Whammy

Reaction score
yes i know this is true, but as far as my knowledge no ibanez universe green dot ever came with all black colored pickups stock, which leads me to believe that the pickups are not the stock blazes, or maybe the dude didn't like green blazes so he bought black blazes, or he bought black evo7s? how do i know?

Ah I missed the part where you mentioned that they are not green.

Okay odds are they not the stock pickups. However a few DiMarzio 7-string pickup with the same look (hex bolts) also share the patent 4,501,185.

The possible pickups it could be solely basing this off the patent number and hex bolts are as follows:
Blaze Bridge (DP702) DC Resistance: 20.75 Kohm
Blaze Neck (DP700) DC Resistance: 15.8 Kohm
Blaze Custom (DP703) DC Resistance: 16 Kohm
Evo 7 (DP704) DC Resistance: 14.09 Kohm
D-activator 7 Bridge (DP720) DC Resistance: 11.40 Kohm
D-activator 7 Neck (DP719) DC Resistance: 6.98 Kohm

This is a quote from the DiMarzio page. Maybe it will help you identify the pickups...

DiMarzio said:
I have an old DiMarzio® pickup that I’m trying to identify. Can you help?

The easiest way to identify an old pickup is to look for a model number on the back. Some of our early models were not identified by model numbers, and some of our OEM models have a different numbering system. See the question, "Do you still make...?" for a full list of pickup models.
We can usually help if you send us an email that tells us enough about the pickup. Please try to answer the following questions in your email.
- What style of pickup is it, such as full-size humbucker, single-coil, etc?
- If you can see the coils, does it appear to have molded plastic bobbins or do the bobbins look like a hard laminated material?
- What kind of polepieces does the pickup have? Solid? Slotted? Hex sockets? Blades? What color are the polepieces?
- On humbuckers, do the polepieces pass completely through the base and come out the back?
- If a humbucker, what is the base made of? Brass? Silver metal? Black metal? Circuit board?
- How many wires and what colors are they? Jacketed cable color? What kind of shield?
- What identifying marks are printed on the front and back of the pickup, and/or are there any stickers?
It may be possible to identify the model from this information. If not, we may also need to know the DC resistance of the pickup:
After taking note of all connections, unsolder the pickup wires from the guitar. You may leave the bare ground wire, if any, connected to the guitar if you wish. If this is a 4-conductor pickup which has the black and white wires soldered to each other and insulated with tape, you may leave the black and white connected to each other, but you must remove the tape from that connection so you can connect an ohmmeter probe to it.
Measure DC resistance at normal room temperature with an ohmmeter. Make sure you are not touching the leads with your fingers when you take the measurement. You should look for readings between 1 Kohm and 20 Kohm.
On single-coil pickups, measure between the two leads, usually black and white, and ignore the ground wire, if any.
On four conductor pickups, measure black and red, then measure white and green. Ignore the ground wire.
On humbuckers where there are only two wires plus a ground, measure between those two wires and ignore the ground.
On humbuckers where there is only one wire plus a shield, measure from the one wire to the shield.
For all other wiring formats, report all possible measurements that are not zero ohms or infinite ohms.

')