Which for Djent: Painkiller or Aftermath

• Thread starter hagen1230
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
I'm now replacing the stock pickups in my Ibanez RGD2127z and I can't decide if I should get a set of Bare knuckle Pickups Painkillers or Aftermaths. I'm going for a really periphery like sound. The guitar has a basswood body and a maple/wenge neck. I will be playing this guitar through a ts-808 tubescreamer into an ENGL Powerball 2 and then into an EVH 5150III cabinet.Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Basswood's already gonna be decently middy, and the Painkiller is known for its mid spike...

Personally, I'd say Aftermath, because it's more balanced (and tighter :yum:). And it's new and exciting haha.

Your best bet, though, is to email Tim at BKP and get his opinion. He knows his stuff and is great to deal with :yesway:

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Your best bet, though, is to email Tim at BKP and get his opinion. He knows his stuff and is great to deal with :yesway:

This, or e-mail the dudes at The Axe Palace,
excellent guys to get BKP's from in the US.
Though Tim makes the pickups... so him first.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Basswood's already gonna be decently middy, and the Painkiller is known for its mid spike...

Personally, I'd say Aftermath, because it's more balanced (and tighter :yum:). And it's new and exciting haha.

+1 :yesway:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread was bound to happen :lol:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Well, I'll save you some time. I asked the same question to Nick (Zimbloth) of Axe Palace and he suggest Miracle Mans. So, this is where I will venture.

abstract

Reaction score
The MM does sound good in basswood. Nick's preference appears to be Miracle Man in basswood, but that doesn't make it the end-all-be-all by any means. My vote is for the Aftermath.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
I've already got a set of Aftermaths in my mahogany six string and they are by far the best pickups I've ever played, but for recording purposes, you want different pickups on each guitar track to give it a bigger sound, so do you think that the difference in wood will make them sound noticeably different?

4Eyes

Reaction score
I thought that djent is more in your hands and in your head/hearth, than in the pickups.

but I have the PK and I can get the whole rig to sound djenty with it

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
The MM does sound good in basswood. Nick's preference appears to be Miracle Man in basswood, but that doesn't make it the end-all-be-all by any means. My vote is for the Aftermath.

Nick actually told me the Aftermath in basswood would actually be a bad idea. :shrug:

JacobShredder

Reaction score
I think alot of people say aftermath because it's new and suppose to be the tightest, plus bulb tried it. General bandwagon type thing.

Ask nick and Tim, but personally id say buy from nick since it'll be cheaper.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
Yes, djent is in your hands, however, great tone completely helps out. For example, you can't get a good old death metal growl out of an acoustic guitar. It is part technique, part sound processing. Anyways, I asked Tim and he said the Aftermath would be the best for basswood. I don't know what Nick is talking about, but if Tim says The Aftermath, it's probably the best choice.

abstract

Reaction score
Yes, djent is in your hands, however, great tone completely helps out. For example, you can't get a good old death metal growl out of an acoustic guitar. It is part technique, part sound processing. Anyways, I asked Tim and he said the Aftermath would be the best for basswood. I don't know what Nick is talking about, but if Tim says The Aftermath, it's probably the best choice.

The Aftermath in Basswood isn't a bad idea by any means. I know a lot of guys who've put their AMs in Basswood and got them to sound excellent (and none who've got bad tone). Plus Tim says so. That seals the deal. :yesway:

abstract

Reaction score
I think alot of people say aftermath because it's new and suppose to be the tightest, plus bulb tried it. General bandwagon type thing.

Ask nick and Tim, but personally id say buy from nick since it'll be cheaper.

Also, I got the Aftermath for the reason that I was considering the Painkiller and wanted something a little more punchy and less compressed. The Aftermath came out two days before I put in my order, but I didn't get it just because it was new. There is a bit of a bandwagon factor, but I'm recommending it because it's a great pickup and it works here.

Reaction score

Not so much great tone as loads of compression and having mids in the right spot. ;)

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Yes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Aftermath in an basswood doublecut guitar like the Ibanez. The Miracle Man sounds great in those guitars too, but it certainly isn't as predisposed to the "djent" sound as the Painkiller or Aftermath.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Bulb actually posted a little clip testing Aftermaths. It's called Stirzzwald and the tone is... well djenty:

MP3 Player SoundClick

That's not the clip - that was done with his BFR with its stock Crunch Lab/Liquifire set. This is the Aftermath clip he did:

The guitar was an Ibanez RG1527 (basswood of course)

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
That's not the clip - that was done with his BFR with its stock Crunch Lab/Liquifire set. This is the Aftermath clip he did:

The guitar was an Ibanez RG1527 (basswood of course)

i fail'd...

Aww, yea that's true... Well it must be in the hands then. :lol:

')