Which for Djent: Painkiller or Aftermath

• Thread starter hagen1230
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
What's funny to me is that the tones people describe as "djenty" these days have very little to do with the actual upper midrangey sound that "djent" is an onomatopoeia of. The Periphery album tone (and subsequent tones Misha has used) are really not "djenty" at all (much more low-mid/saturation), but it seems like the whole term became redefined as a result.

Where I'm going with this is that if you want a "djenty" tone as per the original meaning, e.g. Destroy Erase Improve-era Meshuggah, then the Painkiller is absolutely the pickup to go for. If you want to get a sound similar to what Misha uses these days, the extra low mid content that the Aftermath provides makes it a great choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
What's funny to me is that the tones people describe as "djenty" these days have very little to do with the actual upper midrangey sound that "djent" is an onomatopoeia of. The Periphery album tone (and subsequent tones Misha has used) are really not "djenty" at all (much more low-mid/saturation), but it seems like the whole term became redefined as a result.

Where I'm going with this is that if you want a "djenty" tone as per the original meaning, e.g. Destroy Erase Improve-era Meshuggah, then the Painkiller is absolutely the pickup to go for. If you want to get a sound similar to what Misha uses these days, the extra low mid content that the Aftermath provides makes it a great choice.

I was definitely thinking this the other day. djent has a whole new meaning. I think I will go with the Aftermath seeing as that's what Tim suggested, that's what Bulb is now using, and how it has a more modern djent voicing. thanks Nolly! By the way I sent you an email on lessons cause I want to start as soon as possible. I'm not sure if you'll check this thread first or check your email first, but if you check this thread first, make sure to check your email. lol :lol:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Yup, just replied :)

I propose a new term to describe the Periphery album-style tone: DJUNT

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Sounds too much like a dirty word. :lol:

Djant.
Djint.
Djont.
Djunt.
Djynt?

:lol:

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
I completely agree with the DJUNT term. You should propose that to bulb haha.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
Yup, just replied :)

I propose a new term to describe the Periphery album-style tone: DJUNT

I was messing with my amp and I've discovered that by decreasing presence by one and treble by two, you go from djent to djunt.

arsonist

Reaction score
I'm liking the Aftermath much more after seeing those youtube clips. I have a personal question too:
I have an RGA8 for which i'm looking for a new pickup. I found this clip that tests out Coldsweat humbuckers with an RGA8:

Based on the demos, I like the Aftermath humbucker better. However, in Misha's demo, he uses a guitar with a basswood body, thus of course it would sound different for me with a guitar with a mahogany body. How would the sound of an Aftermath humbucker be different for me, who uses mahogany instead of basswood?

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Probably not. I have a calibrated set and I can't really tell the difference between calibrated and non calibrated. And the calibrated is a lot more.

Hmm, I think you're misunderstanding - a "calibrated set" is simply the bridge and neck of the same model. It's a little bit cheaper to get a set of the same pickup model (i.e a calibrated set) than it is to mix and match between models (say, a Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck).

Arsonist: The best advice I can give is to wait until the 3rd January when the new Bare Knuckle website goes live. On there you will find that clips for every pickup (close to 200 in total), and while I can't claim to have left every stone unturned, you should find them more than sufficient for drawing direct comparisons between the pickups in the range.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yes! THANKS for the Djunt term! :lol:

i've been trying to figure out how to really explain that tone. it's got a really stringy slappy "you can hear the metal" type sound, but without the shrill clangyness. it's rounded out in the high end, with a nice low-mids growl and almost transparent-sounding distortion. it sounds like there's almost no distortion, until there's a palm mute and it goes "DJUNT" nice and easy.

i find myself loving more low-mids oriented pickups with a nice high end presence, myself, and i LOVE super-compressed pickups apparently. EMG 81, X2N, and my current favourite, the kent armstrong handmade OTT that Huf designed. those three do djenty (as in actual djenty, Soul Burn type djent) really well, and when paired with a gate helps do the start-stop on/off thing. the X2N and OTT helps the growly nasty metal sound come out too. the EMG 81 has a cleaner compression to it.

so the point is, you have to remember that you're looking for a certain type of character and voicing, not a specific pickup, and what you love on paper can EASILY turn out to be wrong, and you find yourself loving something entirely different in real life. i thought i loved dynamic and open un-compressed high-mids oriented pickups. i tried it, and realized i was dead wrong, and had to figure out what the hell was going on before i could get what i actually liked instead :D

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i think itd just make alot of peoples lives easier if Tim just started naming pickups for the way they sound i.e. the BKP Brootz, the Djent, the Sizzlewoppeldanger, etc:wallbash:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I think simply having more straight-to-the-point descriptions would be better. Too much selling talk makes you lose track of what it's like. The descriptions on the site makes it hard to choose which one you want, because they all seem like they'd be amazing! :lol:

pwilldabeast14

Reaction score
i already want to get the aftermath in my mahogany, but guys what do you think is the best neck pickup??

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Either will be fine. IMO, djent is more in the setup and technique than pickups. Look at the clip nolly and misha posted up on soundcloud. He is using a black dog in the bridge, and that pickup isn't even reccommended for djent at all, but it's djenty(or djunty) as all hell. It's all in the technique.

')