Which gauge of strings for my 28.625" Agile Intrepid???

• Thread starter mrhankey87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
The title says all :) I'll play every string in standard, maybe a drop in the 8th string sometimes.

I was thinking at a 9-42 set + a 60 and a 75, now tell me :)

I'm a bit worried about the 9-42 set since I'll use Elixir strings, which have a bit more tension...I'd like to do bends without much effort in my Agile.

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I am going to be probably the thinnest string recommendation on here, but I have a set of .008-.068 on mine and LOOOOVE it. Very clear and NOT bassy sounding in the lower strings.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Ive been using the sizes specified on Rondos site and they seem to feel pretty good to me. I may look into slightly lager wound strings in my next string purchase though.

Demeyes

Reaction score
With mine I find I have to stick around a set of 9's for the top 6. The tension is high enough with those and but it keeps bends doable, I normally play 10's but with the scale I think it would be too much. I find the stock strings too light for the F# and B so I picked up a .62 and .80 for those. I haven't put them on yet but I think it should cover me of I want to go for a drop tuning to E while keeping a good tension at F#.

Lasik124

Reaction score
I use 9-42 with a 52 and 80

My opinions... if you care ha!

I feel like the G and D and A are to tight (16 24 and 32) Believe it or not, but that's my opinion, If it was up to me I'd put them down just a little bit! But not that big of a deal!

The 52 works, I'd prob. like it a bit bumped!

As far as the 80 goes, the 72 that came with it I was not digging at all!

I went all the way up to 80 and love it, Nice amount of clarity! Good for the Meshuggah Stuff ha!

Anyway, As far as bends go, I have no problems what so ever bending any of them, As weird as it sounds the only thing the tightness messes up is my Alt Picking..So weird but true! (Mostly on the G D and A Strings, Thats why I listed them)

I think what you listed should work great if you ask me! If I had the chance too, I'd bump my 52 for a 60 like you, and 75 Should work just fine but I do enjoy my 80! Although not many people use it!

HellMinor

nycthbris
Reaction score
When I got my Agile I was having some intonation problems because I'm used to playing heavier strings and used more pressure to fret notes. So I stuck some Ernie Ball 11s on for the time being and the intonation is spot on. I plan to use Elixir 10s + 58 + 68 eventually and see how it goes.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
As far as the 80 goes, the 72 that came with it I was not digging at all!

Yeah, but keep in mind they never ship with the .072 they say they do. I think it's like a .062 or something ridiculously tiny.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Ordered me 4 sets last night. Looks like they made them 1 1/2 inces longer than the D'Addarios that are just long enough to fit on the 828 reverse septors. That means that these will most likely fint the 830s just fine as well. Im pretty sure these are the same sets that Kurt is having made to sell at $12-15 a set as he told me. If Big City is going to sell them at $10 after the 2 for 1 sale is over its still probly the best bet for getting ready made sets.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Yeah, but keep in mind they never ship with the .072 they say they do. I think it's like a .062 or something ridiculously tiny.

Well I learned something new today! :lol:

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
The recent runs have been shipping with the right sizes though. Been confirmed quite a few times unless it was just some of them.

Fracionado

Reaction score
I might be the only one using this, but anyway... I use D'addario strings, 10, 13, 26w, 36w, 46w, 64w and 80w. I think it feels awsome, at least for me :hbang:

I really hated the ones my intrepid came with.... waay too loose.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa cool. They didnt have them when I talked to them before. Might have to check a set out since they are about the same price im paying for a set now. Whoa and theyre 2 for 1???

All of March!
I'll be back on the road late April for awhile too so I'll probably have samples to give out to people like usual as well. I'll post updates once I get all the details :yesway:

just bought two sets. you rock sir :hbang:

Glad To Hear!! :metal:

Done! Those bad boys will be going on my in-process Rico Jr 828, thankyouverymuch! At that price, it's basically like they're throwing in the top 6 strings for free, given what individual strings cost!:metal:

And a damn good guitar to be putting them on as well :bowdown:

Ordered me 4 sets last night. Looks like they made them 1 1/2 inces longer than the D'Addarios that are just long enough to fit on the 828 reverse septors.

Actually I told the guys at LaBella about the issue with the Agile length so now all the new HRS are 46inches long and that came straight from LaBella last week
:hbang:

Also FWIW these gauges came from working with After The Burial who use the 27in Ibanez RG8's tuned F-Eb so you guys should have plenty of tension playing those longer scale guitars.

Meshugger

Reaction score
Ordered me 4 sets last night. Looks like they made them 1 1/2 inces longer than the D'Addarios that are just long enough to fit on the 828 reverse septors. That means that these will most likely fint the 830s just fine as well. Im pretty sure these are the same sets that Kurt is having made to sell at $12-15 a set as he told me. If Big City is going to sell them at $10 after the 2 for 1 sale is over its still probly the best bet for getting ready made sets.

Oooh, i'll keep that in mind when changing strings on my Septor the next time :yesway:

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
dont see how people are using 10s and 11s on such a long scale. are you keeping it F#-E or are you going down at least a step? i can tolerate the wound strings being pretty tight, but not the top 3. i just bought D addario 12-60s for an open tuning on a 25.5" and im down about 3 full steps from std. the top 3 are still too tight. im trying to do exclusively fingerstyle stuff on this guitar and the top 3 strings dont sound as good like high strings should.

Latest posts

')