Which gauges for seven-string subcontra bass?

• Thread starter Udolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Udolf

Reaction score
Would like to know which gauges are mostly used for seven-string subcontra bass F#, B, E, A, D, G, C

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Well there isn't really a standard set of gauges. Until recently (before O4P and CKS) only SIT / Conklin sold big strings so the F# was a .165, but many find this floppy.

Circle K Strings keep their low strings all at the same tension as an E so the F# can be as big as .190.
If you're choosing gauges to use i recommend doing the same and using the CKS tension chart to match the tension of your B and F# to that of the E.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
If you're choosing gauges to use i recommend doing the same and using the CKS tension chart to match the tension of your B and F# to that of the E.

Yup. I'd be taking the balanced set above the one Lox suggested (.174 .130 .098 .073 .055 .039 .028). I believe it is something like 182, 136, 105..
Just take your favourite E string gauge and buy a balanced set that has that in it. Go tighter rather than looser if you have to, it's more important on the B and F# strings.

Udolf

Reaction score
Yup. I'd be taking the balanced set above the one Lox suggested (.174 .130 .098 .073 .055 .039 .028). I believe it is something like 182, 136, 105..
Just take your favourite E string gauge and buy a balanced set that has that in it. Go tighter rather than looser if you have to, it's more important on the B and F# strings.

OK, will try these gauges - Thanks for your advise!

')