"Which Guitar" Thread #100001: Parker vs Sterling

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
There are countless threads like this, but I figured "hey, why not another?"
Anyway, I'm looking into a mid-level 6 string. One that i can gig with and not worry about too much, but not really a beater either. I've narrowed it down to either the Parker Maxxfly PDF100:

130713476-body-large.jpg

Or the Sterling JP100D:

SG24979-body-large.jpg

Just looking for opinions from anyone who's played/owned either guitar, might make the decision a little easier. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i can tell you, the sterling will definitely kick ass. played one the other day and it blew my socks off! never played the parker though...

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Played a parker once.

The top horn poked my chest too much and it hurt.
I was upset.

I like 'trucci models.

Get that one.

:2c:

ibanice

Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to play on either one of them then do it. That's the only way you will find the best model for you.

I kept dreaming about the EBMM JP6 models and once I tried one out it sounded and played like shit (in my opinion) I found out the body was to small for me (I'm 6.4 feet tall) But then again I'm not you and vice versa. The only way is to try them out and see which one you like the best. Remember apperance is not always the most important thing when choosing an instrument.

Good hunting! :)

DarthV

Reaction score
Unless you're buying them for the flame tops, I'd look at that new Ibanez Prestige hardtail. Same price, but a much better instrument. Just won't look as good ;)

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I had a JP70 and it was a good guitar but Im thinking the Ibanez will be better. But really since they are all so close to price and specs you might want to try and play one of them at least.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
Never played either of those.
And as you asked for one of the 2 you mentioned I'd say go for the Parker.

I always liked the Maxxfly shape and I gas hard for a PDF100. For me it's just the looks as I never played one. But the JP70s and the JP shape and style in general just doesn't look good to me.

Paincakes

Reaction score
Ibanez fanboy checking-in.
Can confirm "Prestige" guitars are where it's at.

Sencond choice would be the Sterling, because I'm also a Petrucci fanboy.

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
The last 3 or 4 guitars I've bought have all been Ibanez, it's time to change it up haha. The appearance is obviously a factor in both, and of course I'd need to play them to get a feel for them but I'm just looking for feedback on each guitar more than anything else. What's the neck profile like on the Parker? I've played the JP already, but I've never played a Parker and I'm stupidly curious about them