Which guitarist(s) do you feel play at the peak technique-wise while still serving the song?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Let me first say that obviously this is just an opinion, so if one thinks Rick Graham is the correct answer that is it for them.

I thought this would be a fun little discussion. Which guitarists do you feel play with the best/most technique, while never going into the "ok this person must have no life to have gotten this good, and/or most of their solos are the equivalent of a massive Stephen King book that needs an editor to tighten up the book", basically not letting technique/guitar nerdery get in the way of the song.

What spurred me to think about this was like many of you I was quite the "bedroom" player but thanks to life (college/a real job,then also starting to invest in singing) limited my ability to practice for hours. As a result of this I actually think I became a better player, like with some loss of technical ability I thought more about phrasing/for the song because I didn't have as many options as before. Also with singing, there really isn't some kind of instrumental shred equivalent for singing so just in general (and coupled with finding out I'm a natural songwriter by approaching from a vocal starting point), a lot of the ridiculous guitar nerd stuff I was into before I kind of am not and look at it more from a "regular audience" stand point. I guess I kind of have a philosophy as "as simple as possible" though that's still pretty complex compared to a lot of limited technically players who say stuff like "anything more complex than Gilmour, Clapton, Page etc is overkill"

For an example, I would have told you years ago that someone like John Petrucci or Jeff Loomis would have been my answer, and though I still love a ton of stuff they've done, using this solo from Rock Discipline as an example,

I feel at ~0:30 when he starts playing the chromatic stuff that it doesn't serve the song at all, and that's not to mention how his Ibanez days he seemed much more tasteful overall.

My picks are I'd say a lot of thrash/glam era guys like Alex Skolnick, Dimebag, and George Lynch, as well as I'd say Joe Satriani.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, I'm always looking for new inspiration! Lateley I'm starting to explore Brett Garsed/more legato players, which is quite different from my upbringing of cycling between using Rock Discipline, Intense Rock, and Speed Kills haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Yeah chris is a beast, though I’ve always been more of a Marty guy if I have to choose.

Though this is keeping with my thrash idea

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Chris Poland for me.

YES! And I'll go ahead and add Marty Friedman as well. Both those guys really seem to put a lot of thought into the notes they choose to land on when soloing.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I’d have to go Marty, he always has such tasty runs and note choices.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Maybe this is a weird answer, but while I've never been someone who really cared about "guitar heros" and "virtuoso" players, I was always a big fan of Jani Liimatainen. To my ears, he is one of the few shredder-type players who can still serve the song while pulling off speedy runs and wanky nonsense.

Petrucci, for me, sometimes does a great job of serving the song, but it's Dream Theater we're talking about. It's the kind of "look how great these musicians are!" songs where mindlessly noodling away for an hour, or showing off for showing offs sake, is all sometimes the point, so even when the shredding isn't quite serving a particular melody or something, it's still potentially serving the point of the song.

Someone like Loomis, while he's very good, I find that a lot of his stuff is just OMGLOOKATALLTHENOTESBEINGPLAYED and the songs exist to serve the shredding, not the other way around. Sometimes it's cool, often it doesn't appeal to me. And I'll just say it- I don't like most of the tones Loomis uses.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
hmm probably eric johnson or devin townsend or wes hauch. They all have their wankfest moments but they usually prioritize riffs that work well in the context of the song, plus they don't try to turn nearly every song into a seven minute diminished or lydian wank *cough* loomis and vai *cough*
Don't get me wrong, I love loomis/vai's playing, I just think they prioritize wankery a bit higher than some other players.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta give a shout to Guthrie on this one, the dude's melodies and progressions are so solid that the solos have to be a notch above that while still feeling like they mesh with the rest of it; so it pushes him both technically as a player and a songwriter.

For more metal oriented stuff, I'd say both Christian and Muhammed during their time in Necrophagist were serving the songs with their solos. Rhythmically, those songs came out and were like nothing going on at the time, just all around note salad while still being crushing and melodic, and the solos are the same way; they seem flashier than they really are from what I've seen/heard, but the general structure to them isn't anything outlandish (but maybe I'm talking out my ass and we can hear from the source on this one :idea:)

jco5055

Reaction score
I gotta give a shout to Guthrie on this one, the dude's melodies and progressions are so solid that the solos have to be a notch above that while still feeling like they mesh with the rest of it; so it pushes him both technically as a player and a songwriter.

For more metal oriented stuff, I'd say both Christian and Muhammed during their time in Necrophagist were serving the songs with their solos. Rhythmically, those songs came out and were like nothing going on at the time, just all around note salad while still being crushing and melodic, and the solos are the same way; they seem flashier than they really are from what I've seen/heard, but the general structure to them isn't anything outlandish (but maybe I'm talking out my ass and we can hear from the source on this one :idea:)

I've seen how Guthrie pretty much never actually sat down to learn technique, it was just a result of making music/learning songs/exploring ideas etc which probably helps show why it never sounds like an exercise with his playing.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I've to say Michael Romeo for a more "classical" approach and Tosin for a more modern.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Jeff Loomis and Frederik/Marten from Meshuggah. Loomis for his godly leads and our boys in 'shuggah for their rhythms.

EDIT: I'll throw Keith Merrow in their too because of conquering dystopia

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Marco Sfogli. Actually, I can't mention him and not say Martin Miller/Tom Quayle. Doesn't get much more technically advanced than those guys, and 3 of the most tasty and thoughtful players to ever touch the instrument.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
A lot of good answers.....I'm not a Blues fan, but I'll give an honorable mention to SRV for just how well he stayed in the pocket at all times.

')