Which head for moderate/high gain?

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
Hey, I've been looking at getting a new amp head for the band I've joined recently. The other guitarist uses a Fryette Sig:x, it has a really tight, dry sound. We don't play with a whole lot of gain, but I wouldn't mind having it on tap just in case.

I've been thinking about the Mark V, it would be enough gain but I might miss having the additional capability of a true high gain amp. But I hear that it's quite a tight, dry amp? Might mesh well with the Sig:x.

I was also considering the Sig:x, they sound great and it would be sure to fit in very well, and I always kind of wanted one. But it would be good to have a different amp.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Trying to keep it around $2k.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
If you want the opposite of a tight dry amp like the Fryette then a triple rectifier would give you a big old wet gut punch.

What genre are you guys playing?

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
We play in drop A standard, altered time signatures, Tool is a big influence as well as Meshuggah, I guess it's pretty djenty but we use a lot of full chords and altered voicings as well. The vocals are somewhat reminiscent of Alice in Chains, so there's a grunge element in it as well.

I would rather have an amp that fits with that dry sound, I want it to be different but not totally opposite.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the Mark V, it would be enough gain but I might miss having the additional capability of a true high gain amp.

I don't understand that statement (bolded for reference). The Mark V is a true high gain amp. In fact, it has two channels with 3 separate voicing apiece that are all higain. The Mark is neither dry or wet, tight or fat. It can be made to be any of those things depending on how you EQ it. That's really what makes it such a great amplifier is the versatility it is capable of that no other amp really can on its own.

Based on what you're asking for it, will do that and then some (and by some, I mean a lot).

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
I really should try the Mark V out, I have heard it can go seriously heavy but I've also heard it can't. I'd like to not have to use a boost if I can help it.

But I just got the impression that it can't really get as saturated as some other amps.

Mordacain

Reaction score
I really should try the Mark V out, I have heard it can go seriously heavy but I've also heard it can't. I'd like to not have to use a boost if I can help it.

But I just got the impression that it can't really get as saturated as some other amps.

Oh, it can get some crazy saturation going. To be honest though, any modern higain head (pretty much every higain amp made in the last 20 years) really has more gain than is really usable in my opinion.

/EDIT - I also agree that you should definitely not buy anything that expensive blindly

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
Oh no, never intended to. I'm just planning to go and test some things out, the Mark V is definitely one, but I was also thinking of shopping around a bit. The Mesa Recto Recording Preamp looks interesting as well

Mordacain

Reaction score
Oh no, never intended to. I'm just planning to go and test some things out, the Mark V is definitely one, but I was also thinking of shopping around a bit. The Mesa Recto Recording Preamp looks interesting as well

The recto preamp has never really been my ball of wax...the recto poweramp is tits though. If you're looking at preamps then might as well give the e530 a shot as well.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
IMO, a Blackstar series one is a relatively dry tight amp. Can be adjusted with the ISF feature aswell.

Also, a Diamond Nitrox or Phantom might go well.

Have you tried Krank?

Mordacain

Reaction score
IMO, a Blackstar series one is a relatively dry tight amp. Can be adjusted with the ISF feature aswell.

:agreed: The ISF is a major factor in the tightness vs looseness area on pretty much all the Blackstar amps, plus your budget gives you access to the Series 1 which are by all accounts fantastic. I've played quite a few of the HT amps and can attest to them being dry like the fucking sahara.

DraggAmps

Reaction score
I'd just get a Sig:X, personally. I mean, if you like the sound. Chances are your playing style, guitars, cabs, pickups, and settings will give you plenty of variance in your tones. If you want that kind of amp, the Sig:X is a much better sounding amp all-around than the Mark V, in my opinion, of course. It has an outstanding non-master volume clean channel, great mid gain tones and outstanding high gain tones. It just depends on what you prefer but the Sig:X sounds a lot better to me. Fryette makes seriously great stuff and I've always gotten a great sound overall in a band where the other guitarist has the same amp. The tones are different enough that they're distinguished, but they mesh well being the same general type of tone.

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score

Also, a Diamond Nitrox or Phantom might go well.

Have you tried Krank?

Have not tried Krank, they seemed quite dry though when I heard one played.

The Diamond amps might be hard to demo without making a road trip out of it. The Blackstar though, that's a good suggestion. :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You're in Toronto - rent a Mark V from Steve's or L&M for a month and see how you like it. They do get pretty high gain.

s5470Pro

Banned
Reaction score
I highly recommend Orange Rockerverb OR keep it VHT and Get an Ultra lead. Bet that will mix very well with the Sigx

I have a Pitbull 100 and its amazing BUT if he has the Sig X you might want to skip the nonsense and get an Ultralead, especially if you have the $$$$

Rawhdney

Reaction score
OK, stupid newbie question...

What are some examples of bands/guitarists that have a dry, tight, sound?
I sort of have an idea in my head, but just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks!

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. I may actually be trying out a Mark V from L&M pretty soon, as you suggested Budda.

Which amp do they use in Haarp Machine I wonder?

S5470pro, a rockerverb is something I have not looked into, will do so.

Last edited: