Which is the best Megadeth album?

• Thread starter Seedawakener
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best?

• Killing is my business

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Peace sells... but who's buying?

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • So far, so good... so what?

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Rust in peace

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • Countdown to extinction

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Youthanasia

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Cryptic writings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Risk

• The world needs a hero

• The system has failed

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I honestly dont care. Megadeth doesn't Interest me.

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
Peace Sells
So Far So Good
Killing is my Business

Countdown

Everything else (YES, including RIP -there's not a single song on that album I like)

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
Rust in Peace, without a doubt. Marty Friedmans solos on that CD are unbeatable. And then I think Peace Sells, Killing is my business and Countdown to Extinction all take second place because I cant decide which I like more.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Killing is my Business. It's raw and full of energy and it brings back good memories of when I first started listening to them.

Friedman rules, though, don't get me wrong. His playing on Rust is a landmark in taste and execution.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Rust In Peace by far. Second would probably be Peace Sells.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I guess Rust in peace is the standard for all thrash metal... but I really enjoy Risk, it has some great songs on it.. Really though, im only a megadeth fan for Marty..

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess Rust in peace is the standard for all thrash metal... but I really enjoy Risk, it has some great songs on it.. Really though, im only a megadeth fan for Marty..

You deny the badassity that is Killing Is My Business?

Perhaps you havent listened to SKull Beneath the Skin? ;p

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Rust in Peace is the benchmark of 80's speed metal as far as I'm concerned. Songwriting, playing and the overall vibe really make it a classic that still sounds amazing even by todays production standards.

Just a classic.

Not to mention that Dave pulled it off live while singing. I saw them 3 times on that tour and they were freakin' amazing.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Not to mention that Dave pulled it off live while singing. I saw them 3 times on that tour and they were freakin' amazing.

When I saw them last year, they played like 4-5 songs off RIP (Tornado Of Souls, Hangar 18, Holy Wars, Lucretia, and like one other one) and he just impressed me how he could still pull off playing all that stuff while singing. I guess it just takes a lot of practice, but... wow. I saw something like 15 bands the day Megadeth played and they were the best (Arch Enemy coming in second place for that day). :yesway: They also played some stuff from the 80's (they played "Peace Sells" which was pretty sweet and like 1 more song off that album and one song off of "Killing Is My Business" and one off of "So far, so good, so what?"). I think they only played 2-3 songs from after 1996.

Cryptic Writings overall isn't that great of an album, but it has two Megadeth songs I love: Vortex and Mastermind (Trust is a pretty sweet song too).

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the playing on RIP was amazing. However, as far as songwriting and lyrics goes, I have to vote for Countdown. I've always loved that album. And the guitar tone on it is just incredible.

I got to meet Megadeth a few years ago at a guitar clinic before a show. Marty was still in the band, so I guess it's been awhile. But they were all super nice guys and they put on a great show that night!

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
"Killing is my business..." for "Looking down the cross" if nothing else.

And Chris Poland played some great stuff on those first two albums, and I still love the tone on "Peace sells", particularly "Good mourning/Black Friday", although the chant choruses are perhaps a little overused (see also: Anthrax...) - controversial, eh?

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
I voted 'Rust in Peace'. second I would say the first 'Killing is my business'.
Then there are classics like Anarchy in the uk, symphony of destruction , angry again , peace sells, darkest hour, wake up dead. those are the best songs from megadeth and the afore mentioned albums are great.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd have to say Rust In Peace. Although, I love Chris Poland's work on Peace Sells, I love Marty Friedman's guitar work as well. It's been my favorite Megadeth album since the day it came out, 1990. :yesway:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
You deny the badassity that is Killing Is My Business?

Perhaps you havent listened to SKull Beneath the Skin? ;p

its badass, but not super duper badass like take over the world badass..

I love SFSGSW and Peace sells (Black friday is awesome) but they dont compare to Rust

btw why is this on the sevenstring forum? No megadeth recording ever had a 7 string lol only Marty Friedman and afew solo songs (or 6 tuned to B... which is likely)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
its badass, but not super duper badass like take over the world badass..

I love SFSGSW and Peace sells (Black friday is awesome) but they dont compare to Rust

btw why is this on the sevenstring forum? No megadeth recording ever had a 7 string lol only Marty Friedman and afew solo songs (or 6 tuned to B... which is likely)

There's a bit on Marty's website, in the Q&A section, where he mentions that he's used sevenstrings and drop C-tuned guitars for overdubs in the studio.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
i voted RIP for all the aformentioned reasons. my 1st album was Youthanasia, mostly due to Train of Consequences and A Tout Le Monde. but its a great album. id say of what i own, it'd be RIP, Peace Sells, Youthanasia, and The World Needs A Hero.

')