Which loop pedal should I buy?

• Thread starter WishIwasfinnish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I would like to be able to layer 3 loops at a time in a live setting. I know the Boomerang pedal that Tosin Abasi uses or used would be a good choice but are there others I'm missing and possibly cheaper options that people have experience with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Check out the Digitech Jamman. The guitar player from Russian Circles uses one of those, and they stack loops all the time.

I'm currently using a Boss RC2, and it works for now. Probably going to upgrade soon though.

Mattykoda

Reaction score
I love my Jamman stereo! It doesnt have too much of a learning curve, you can store a .... ton of loops and slow down/speed up without changing pitch. If you want something to sit back in the loop you can adjust the instrument level on the looper and it has a clipping light. The extra foot switch FSX3 adds just some quick functions if you need it, like play the last loop in reverse, instant redo, and adjust the tempo of the loop. I know I'm missing a lot but for the price its badass. Usually prymaxevintage is running coupons so you can get it at a discount as well

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
+1 for the Jamman.

And here's the secret: the Jamman is THE ONLY LOOPER PEDAL that allows you to 'tap' the tempo of the loop and change its speed WITHOUT changing its pitch. So easy to practice licks like this - start off slow with the rhythm track then slowly kick up the speed. Love my Jamman.

Gmork

Reaction score
i have the ditto X2 looper and i absolutely love it. simple to use and samples at 24bit so your loops sound exactly the same as the sound you put into it. i dont know how i got by without it.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I wanted the jamman for Father's day a few years back and got the ditto instead. I like the features of the jamman but the ditto was cheaper..

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
Nice which model did you get?

I got the stereo. I actually didn't realize that the Solo xt and the Stereo do basically the same things until just now, so I should have done more research to begin with but I'm glad now because I learned that the Stereo's footswitches allow you to control your loops easily instead of having to do anything by hand.

Promit

Reaction score
Very fond of my Jamman XT. I had the Ditto and wasn't thrilled - tempo/quantize is a life saver for me.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I just got the Jamman and have been messing around with it, and I don't think it's gonna work for me. The dealbreaker is that the loop button is a record/playback/overdub button that you hit once to record, and then you hit it again to start the playback of what you just played, but you have to hit the SAME BUTTON again to overdub.

I have a song where I need to make three layered harmonies, one right after the other and have that continue to play on. As far as I can tell, this pedal only has the capability to record one track and then you can play over it and overdub by hitting the record button again, but there is no way to stack loops on top of one another without hitting that button twice, which makes it impossible to start recording your next loop as the first one ends. I'm pretty frustrated because this seems like SUCH a basic feature for a loop pedal. What's the deal? Can this thing really not handle this functionality?

decreebass

Reaction score
I just got the Jamman and have been messing around with it, and I don't think it's gonna work for me. The dealbreaker is that the loop button is a record/playback/overdub button that you hit once to record, and then you hit it again to start the playback of what you just played, but you have to hit the SAME BUTTON again to overdub.

I have a song where I need to make three layered harmonies, one right after the other and have that continue to play on. As far as I can tell, this pedal only has the capability to record one track and then you can play over it and overdub by hitting the record button again, but there is no way to stack loops on top of one another without hitting that button twice, which makes it impossible to start recording your next loop as the first one ends. I'm pretty frustrated because this seems like SUCH a basic feature for a loop pedal. What's the deal? Can this thing really not handle this functionality?

Uhh... That doesn't sound right - my Jamman Delay (the 8-button model) records with one tap and immediately plays back when you tap it again to finish the loop. Not sure what's up with your model; I don't feel that's right, but you've got it in front of you - not me. That doesn't sound right for ANY looper. You should PM/email me and maybe we can figure it out together.

Reaction score
Uhh... That doesn't sound right - my Jamman Delay (the 8-button model) records with one tap and immediately plays back when you tap it again to finish the loop. Not sure what's up with your model; I don't feel that's right, but you've got it in front of you - not me. That doesn't sound right for ANY looper. You should PM/email me and maybe we can figure it out together.

my Jammamn Stereo also plays direct after i ended the first record with the second step on the switch which stops recording.

But i will flip the looper - it is really good for the money and offers a lot. i just dont like what it does to my tone which is for sure a problem of my whole setup.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
Just wanted to update that I am returning my Jamman and just ordered an original Boomerang pedal from eBay for around $250 including shipping.

I haven't seen anyone do exactly what I want with it but it has a stack function that I think will work. It has some pretty useless features like playing back a phrase in reverse but I've heard good things about its sound quality. Will post again once I confirm that it can do what I want.

I am actually shocked at how difficult it was to figure this out. When I think of a loop pedal, the function I described is actually what I imagine, so maybe I'm weird but stacking loops and harmonies seems to be the most useful thing to me that a loop pedal could do.

decreebass

Reaction score
As an aside - I know it's too late to cahnge your mind - the Jamman can do the function you desire, but only AFTER you've recorded the original loop. That is, you hit the button to record, say, 4 measures, hit the button again, which stops the recording but starts the loop playback, but THEN once you hit record again, it will continuously stack the loops until you hit "REC/PLAY/OVERDUB" again.

But yea, it's hard to find a looper that immediately stacks the loops from the end of the first one... Glad you found a solution though :)

')