Which MIDI controller for my usecase?

• Thread starter Zender
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
Hi all,

With the inclusion of a G major 2 in my rack, I want to add a midi controller to my pedalboard. I'll be using the GM to also switch my preamp, but basically need to be able to do something rather simple. I want to have access to a few presets with little tapdancing.
- A clean "pedal platform" sound (preset 1, some reveb) on which to stack my pedals (several distortion and overdrive pedals on my board)
- A completely dry "distortion" (GM adds nothing, just switches the preamp to the proper channel (preset 2)
- Lead tone, a slight bump in the volume, and some other stuff from the GM (preset 3, various GM settings included here.)
- And maybe one or two other presets

Ideal would be something that "wraps around". Say I have just 5 presets I want to be able to access. I could do this with either 5 buttons, or with 5 (search + activate). Without wanting to cycle through all the possible presets.
Alternatively, if setting just 3 presets, I would want to have *just* those three in a wrap-around such that from 1 I can jump to 2 or 3 (going down from 1), And from all three positions can go to the other two.

I think a Midi mongoose (direct access to 5 presets) or midi mouse (seems to do the wrap-around, not sure) would be a good option for my needs, but Im wondering if you have other suggestions, or if I am misinterpreting the possibilities of these two pedals.

I don't mind moving presets around on the GM, to make for efficient controlling obviously.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
It's hard to beat the programability and usability of a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro...I used one with a G-major for years and it worked great. Or are you looking specifically for a very small solution?

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
... Or are you looking specifically for a very small solution?

Exactly :)

I'd like to integrate the Midi controller into my existing pedalboard (PT Novo 18) and have it on there next to various overdrive, distortion, and fuzz n muff pedals I have on there. The GM does the reverb, pitch shifting and modulation effects, for the other types of noise I rely on my set of dirt pedals (throne torcher, russian-style muff, burnley, etc... ), Also, the looper and tuner are on the PT.

There won't be that many patches to warrant a Ground Control. Also, it's more than twice what a Mongoose would cost me.

So I need to include a few more constraints:
- $ 220 max
- Small(-ish) footprint, to be integrated in a pedalboard

cmtd

Reaction score
The boss es5 may be something to look at. Small footprint, will send MIDI to the G-major, and will give you 5 loops for placing your effects in. Finding a used unit for 220 may be a stretch, but it would be somewhat in the ballpark. Tons of flexibility with those boss units.

Edit: I suppose you arent concerned with the pedals being able to switch in and out with preset changes? The Es-5 would facilitate that. If you are just looking for a foot controller to activate patch changes on your G-major, and will just run your pedals into the front of the amp in a traditional sense, the Midi Mouse/mongoose should get you what you are looking for

Last edited:

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
That extra functionality actually is somehting I never considered, and is exactly the reason why I sometimes post "advise me" threads here, to get insights into what I might be missing.

THANKS! .... Now to contain the GAS.

')