Which noise gate

• Thread starter metalguy_hk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalguy_hk

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to get a noise gate to cut the noise for my metal tones, can anyone pls advise shall I go for Boss NS2, ISP or the MXR smart gate pls
Many thanks!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Can't recommend the ISP Decimator enough. I play Death/Thrash Metal and it's been perfect for what I need, super transparent.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the MXR noise clamp and it works great and for like 1/3 the cost of a gstring.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
Haven't tried any ISP stuff but I can vouch for the MXR Noise Clamp. I compared it to an NS-2 and it was a winner for sure, did less to the tone and gated like a champ. A multitude of configurations on tap too.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
oh and a little FYI: the noise clamp has the ability to act as a loop pedal as well, switch the internal dip and when you disengage the noise gate it bypasses everything in its loop. This is great so when you want to turn your boost off, for example, you don't have to tap dance or worry about the gate threshold being too high for just the amp itself. With its cost you can get more than one so you have one for your preamp and your boost if you want.

Reaction score
this ones been done to death..ISP

Enter Paradox

Reaction score
Just got a Decimator - definitely functioning well, no color of tone whatsoever to my hearing

but then maybe my setup was not optimized for a gate (SS amps, low volume playing, no boost, medium output pups), pls advise on how to get the best features of the renowned ISP.. or should I go high gain tube amps, soon..

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
I would say if you can afford it get the ISP, I've never owned one, but jeez with all of the recommendations you would be silly to not get it if money wasn't the object, if it is. I would try out the MXR and NS-2 personally and see which one works best for you. I use the Boss NS-2 in front of my amp, and it works wonderfully and even on the most sparkling of clean settings I don't notice any change in the tone from when it is on to not, as well as on the highest and most saturated high gain sounds I pump through it. Though I did get one used before that had some issues, so if you decide to go used, make sure you can return it in case it doesn't work for you.

DanakinSkywalker

Reaction score
My Boss NS-2 has never failed me, super durable, and cheap if you find the right seller(not too hard). If you have a bit more money, I heard the ISP is infallible.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
If you're playing just raw metal tones, yeah go with the ISP or boss. If you think you may want to play cleans in the future, in my personal experience I would choose a *prepares for backlash* Rocktron Hush pedal through the fx loop.

')