Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey

Reaction score
Hey guys, getting around to sorting out my pedals(finally!!!) and pretty much have all my effects sorted except for the overdrive, as it's been to most difficult to choose. I play alot of Megadeth and Metallica etc but do not necessarily want their sounds, just similar(chunky, heavy etc). Has to be true bypass. I use ESPs with standard(for now) pickups through an ENGL E670 SE with EL34 tubes. I want something to tighten up my sound with distortion and have heard overdrives do just that. Also something that will make the notes stand out and scream and make the palm mutes chunkier. I don't want to be too far removed from the original sound though, I think people use the term 'transparency' for that?? Give me some ideas please, no budget really but nothing extreme(ie $900US+ lol). Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Although I don't think they're true bypass- they won't color your tone much. I really suggest a Maxon OD808 or some variation of Ibanez TS9. They'll give you the definition you want. Fo sho. They're great overdrives, and a bit over $100 each.
For future reference- when using overdrives as boosts / for definition, generally you set the Tone at midway, the Gain at 0 or 1, and the Level maxed.
Hope this helps :yesway:

Mickey

Reaction score
Although I don't think they're true bypass- they won't color your tone much. I really suggest a Maxon OD808 or some variation of Ibanez TS9. They'll give you the definition you want. Fo sho. They're great overdrives, and a bit over $100 each.
For future reference- when using overdrives as boosts / for definition, generally you set the Tone at midway, the Gain at 0 or 1, and the Level maxed.
Hope this helps :yesway:

Thanks for the reply :) I was looking at the Maxon OD-820 which is true bypass but am unsure if it can do metal. Unfortunately alot of the videos on youtube just use the overdrives on mild amps whilst playing blues...

Mickey

Reaction score

Shor

Reaction score
I tend to always suggest the Way Huge Green Rhino when someone asks this, and that's because it's bloody awesome!
It has a lot of options for tweaking your tone and if there's any one pedal I couldn't live without it's that one.

e7lek

Reaction score
check out the new mojo mojo from tc electronics, fairly priced and has true bypass

Mickey

Reaction score
check out the new mojo mojo from tc electronics, fairly priced and has true bypass

Hmmm TC Electronics are predominantly digitally-based... Would prefer something analog. Will check it out though for sure. It's definitely the hardest pedal to decide on.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone got their favorite OD. Honestly, almost all of them will do fine in a metal context.
I use a Hardwire CM-2 myself. It has an active 2 band Eq, 2 modes, and is true bypass via relay. It sounds great to me :)
Edit: all TC distortion based effects are analog, so check them out! They have that insane digitally controlled analog OD/Distortion unit called Nova Drive.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Everyone got their favorite OD. Honestly, almost all of them will do fine in a metal context.
I use a Hardwire CM-2 myself. It has an active 2 band Eq, 2 modes, and is true bypass via relay. It sounds great to me :)
Edit: all TC distortion based effects are analog, so check them out! They have that insane digitally controlled analog OD/Distortion unit called Nova Drive.

I 2nd the CM-2

plus also the Green Rhino

Great and very flexible pedals. also Most over drive pedals will take you toa tighter metal terriroty if used as a boost, but if you are using the OD as your main gain, hardwire is good, plus look into some metal pedals like the Hardwite TL-2, Modded Metal Zones, etc

Mickey

Reaction score
I 2nd the CM-2

plus also the Green Rhino

Great and very flexible pedals. also Most over drive pedals will take you toa tighter metal terriroty if used as a boost, but if you are using the OD as your main gain, hardwire is good, plus look into some metal pedals like the Hardwite TL-2, Modded Metal Zones, etc

Probably won't be using it as the main gain as my amp has stacks of gain on tap. Just want it tightened up really. However it's always good to have options too :) I have never used an overdrive before so it's all new to me.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Probably won't be using it as the main gain as my amp has stacks of gain on tap. Just want it tightened up really. However it's always good to have options too :) I have never used an overdrive before so it's all new to me.

then you can't go wrong with any of the reccomended overdrives

go to your locla shop and whatever ones interest you, pretty much all of them if you can, bring them home to if you can but make sure they have a good return policy.

most of the reccomendations here are good, tried, tested and true, but it's gunna boil down to your tonal preferences, what the OD does to your amp and your like/dislike of the effect it has.

i've tried MANY od's, and the ones i like best are the Hardwire CM-2, the Maxon OD808, although the Tube variant i hear is also really good. the Xotic Stuff is good too, especially the BB pedal. Keeley makes great mods if you have something he can mod, pretty much makes it a whole new pedal. Green Rhino also great as it lets you shape the low end cut you get from the OD, so you get more or less cut if you want.

all of them great but try if you can so that you can get the best sound for your ears

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone will buy this and post some impressions.

images

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Maxon OD808 is widely regarded as being the best OD for metal, since it is very fluid and transparent, almost like a clean boost. You could try the OD820, which is a more upmarket OD808, apparently being tighter and richer sounding.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I like the ts9. I have an engl... not the se but the savage 60 with el34's. I was recently going through this myself and found the ts9 reacted the best with my amp. i really like the way it sounds and it doesn't really effects the tone of your amp much. it just makes it sound tighter, smoother and (dare i say it :lol:) more djenty. when it is on, you still can hear the actual tone of the amp but it is tighter and more defined

good luck :yesway:

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I'm wondering how he has a 4000$ dollar amp yet sounds like a beginner and has never used an overdrive :squint:

Anyways the overdrive that basically ALL bands use seems like the maxon od808 all the pedals these guys are recommending are not tubescreamers which shape the tone of your high gain amp and make it tighter by adding a mid hump and most pedals these guys are posting aren't for that.\

I would avoid any pedals that say less bass roll or something like that because if you buy one you will be disappointed because you aren't gonna hear any change in the sound other then adding more gain.\

Now, I use a Ts7 which I bought for 25$ and it works perfectly, all though the ts9 I had a bigger mid hump and turned my dual rec model into a BEAST, I have never tried a od808 or ts808 or any of the more expensive models like the od820 but if you buy the ts7 or ts9 you will NEED a noise suppressor because these suckers are LOUD.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new overdrive to boost with too!

Looking at a maxon od808, fulltone ocd, and a bb preamp. I already have a ts9 so I'm probably not gonna get the 808.

But if you don't have one, my vote goes 808/ts9

Latest posts

')