Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xPIZZLEx

Bringin' the heavy.
Reaction score
GearManDude's Luther Drive. Modified TS808 with a tone knob that reacts all the way from 1 to 10 and helps keep the low end tight and crispy :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey

Reaction score
I'm wondering how he has a 4000$ dollar amp yet sounds like a beginner and has never used an overdrive :squint:

Anyways the overdrive that basically ALL bands use seems like the maxon od808 all the pedals these guys are recommending are not tubescreamers which shape the tone of your high gain amp and make it tighter by adding a mid hump and most pedals these guys are posting aren't for that.\

I would avoid any pedals that say less bass roll or something like that because if you buy one you will be disappointed because you aren't gonna hear any change in the sound other then adding more gain.\

Now, I use a Ts7 which I bought for 25$ and it works perfectly, all though the ts9 I had a bigger mid hump and turned my dual rec model into a BEAST, I have never tried a od808 or ts808 or any of the more expensive models like the od820 but if you buy the ts7 or ts9 you will NEED a noise suppressor because these suckers are LOUD.

I recently made the switch from a solid state amplifier to all tube. Whilst deciding on what amp I wanted I kept saving and my choices kept getting more expensive, so I thought 'what the hell". Prior to this I was using a Korg multi-effects... Hmmm would a tubescreamer be useful to me alongside an OD?

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I recently made the switch from a solid state amplifier to all tube. Whilst deciding on what amp I wanted I kept saving and my choices kept getting more expensive, so I thought 'what the hell". Prior to this I was using a Korg multi-effects... Hmmm would a tubescreamer be useful to me alongside an OD?
As I said a TS will make your sound tighter and more refined, and a non-colored OD won't be as useful and/or wouldn't make a difference in sound.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
MXR fanboy here, dunlop fanboi i could say too. I vote mx gt od or green rhino od cause i beleives its awsome even if i never played one haha!

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
MXR = owned by Dunlop.

Never been a fan of most of their pedals since they're pretty noisy. I'd be interested to try the new Custom Badass Modified OD though.

I dont own ay dunlop pedals but knew they owned mxr, encahnce my comment. And MXR noisy? The OD isnt noisy at all. The compressors prolly are a lil bit( I own a keeley) but I dont know any pedals that are "pretty noisy" from them.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I've been using a BBE Green Screamer, which I really like. They're quite cheap and the consensus seems to be that they're very transparent as far as ODs go.

DraggAmps

Reaction score
If you can find one, maybe your Guitar Center currently has them, get an MXR Classic Overdrive. It's a Guitar Center exclusive pedal (so they only have them occasionally) but it's the same exact pedal in every way as the GT-OD but in a differently painted enclosure for a third of the price. They're $30-40. They were originally green and then they stopped carried them. Recently, they came back in a cool white enclosure. Not sure how much longer they will be around, though. They're just a great Tubescreamer type pedal. The Tubescreamer, in it's various incarnations, is what most people use to boost amps. Most of the other pedals people use are just based on the same circuit, including the Maxon OD808 and OD9, etc. It's good for this because, it boosts mids and cuts bass (which tightens low end and adds attack) and adds compression. The Classic Overdrive is a great quality version (for a mass produced pedal) with true bypass and it has the famous chip (4558) that came in the original Tubescreamers and is generally considered to sound best. It's easily the best bang for your buck pedal. True bypass, cheap, good quality. Can't beat it.

If you really want a high quality "boutique" overdrive that actually IS transparent (i.e.-won't actually color your tone much or add any compression, will only add gain/saturation/attack and cut low and/or high frequencies to tighten bass and get rid of fizz), the Timmy by Paul Cochrane is pretty much considered the most transparent pedal in existence. The polar opposite of the Tubescreamer, but equally useful for boosting, just in a little different way. It is pretty much the most popular pedal among the boutique blues/rock guys for the last ten or so years, because you can add however much grit you want to your amp without changing the tone at all (basically makes it sound like our amp would if it was cranked). But into an already heavily distorted amp, it can add saturation like a TS, but without adding much extra compression and changing the attack. Most importantly, it has bass and treble CUT knobs (which means the more you turn up the knobs, more it cuts bass or treble). With the knobs at 0, it cuts no frequencies. You can roll up the bass cut knob until your sound is tight enough. The EQ is very responsive so you can make it super tight. Your sound gets tighter but doesn't change otherwise. Also, if your amp is a bit fizzy or harsh, or just too bright, you can use the treble knob to cut out the highest frequencies and it will totally tame the high end and reduce as much fizz as needed. By cutting both highs and lows, narrowing the frequency range, it also helps you sit better in the mix of the band so you cut through much more. It's an amazing tool, but most people don't want to spend that much and the compression, mids, and fixed amount of low end cut of the TS-type pedals does the job.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
I've probably gone through about 15 or so OD's... my search ended with an Xotic Custom Shop BB MB. Unlike all other TS variants, the BB MB not only allows you to tweak both the Treble, Bass, and Mid-Boost separately, but it also does not have to be dialed in with the typical Volume=Max / Gain=0 settings... feel free to turn up the gain a little as it blends seamlessly with most amps preamp distortion. And with as much tailoring as the pedal allows prior to the amps preamp, I found that I could coax a punchier, tighter bass response with even more gain out of my Dual Rec without worrying about it fizzing out. BB MB + Mesa T-verb = Awesomeness.

Or don't try it... the last thing I need is to worry about another persons tone sounding as good as mine hahaha.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've probably gone through about 15 or so OD's... my search ended with an Xotic Custom Shop BB MB. Unlike all other TS variants, the BB MB not only allows you to tweak both the Treble, Bass, and Mid-Boost separately, but it also does not have to be dialed in with the typical Volume=Max / Gain=0 settings... feel free to turn up the gain a little as it blends seamlessly with most amps preamp distortion. And with as much tailoring as the pedal allows prior to the amps preamp, I found that I could coax a punchier, tighter bass response with even more gain out of my Dual Rec without worrying about it fizzing out. BB MB + Mesa T-verb = Awesomeness.

Or don't try it... the last thing I need is to worry about another persons tone sounding as good as mine hahaha.

I also found the regular ts types to begin to fizz and mush out/soften my rectifiers modern mode. The OD9 PRO+ (and I suspect the OD820pro, as it's also an 18v tweaked screamer) do react alot like your saying the BB MB does. I can use more of the amps gain without over-compressing, and the gain itself blends better when used.

If using it like I usually do with the boost (mid-hump) engaged, it does the normal ts tightening thing but with much more aggressive picking feel and with a less compressed nature (allowing to use a little more of the awsome recto-gain).
And with the boost off it functions as a slightly colored semi-clean boost with that better blending gain on tap if you need it.

To top it off you can switch down to 9v for the typical OD808 compression and sag.

Down side is; You better just plug it in (runs on normal 9v adapter or single battery) because it drains quick if in 18v mode (always am). :shred:

Mickey

Reaction score
If you can find one, maybe your Guitar Center currently has them, get an MXR Classic Overdrive. It's a Guitar Center exclusive pedal (so they only have them occasionally) but it's the same exact pedal in every way as the GT-OD but in a differently painted enclosure for a third of the price. They're $30-40. They were originally green and then they stopped carried them. Recently, they came back in a cool white enclosure. Not sure how much longer they will be around, though. They're just a great Tubescreamer type pedal. The Tubescreamer, in it's various incarnations, is what most people use to boost amps. Most of the other pedals people use are just based on the same circuit, including the Maxon OD808 and OD9, etc. It's good for this because, it boosts mids and cuts bass (which tightens low end and adds attack) and adds compression. The Classic Overdrive is a great quality version (for a mass produced pedal) with true bypass and it has the famous chip (4558) that came in the original Tubescreamers and is generally considered to sound best. It's easily the best bang for your buck pedal. True bypass, cheap, good quality. Can't beat it.

If you really want a high quality "boutique" overdrive that actually IS transparent (i.e.-won't actually color your tone much or add any compression, will only add gain/saturation/attack and cut low and/or high frequencies to tighten bass and get rid of fizz), the Timmy by Paul Cochrane is pretty much considered the most transparent pedal in existence. The polar opposite of the Tubescreamer, but equally useful for boosting, just in a little different way. It is pretty much the most popular pedal among the boutique blues/rock guys for the last ten or so years, because you can add however much grit you want to your amp without changing the tone at all (basically makes it sound like our amp would if it was cranked). But into an already heavily distorted amp, it can add saturation like a TS, but without adding much extra compression and changing the attack. Most importantly, it has bass and treble CUT knobs (which means the more you turn up the knobs, more it cuts bass or treble). With the knobs at 0, it cuts no frequencies. You can roll up the bass cut knob until your sound is tight enough. The EQ is very responsive so you can make it super tight. Your sound gets tighter but doesn't change otherwise. Also, if your amp is a bit fizzy or harsh, or just too bright, you can use the treble knob to cut out the highest frequencies and it will totally tame the high end and reduce as much fizz as needed. By cutting both highs and lows, narrowing the frequency range, it also helps you sit better in the mix of the band so you cut through much more. It's an amazing tool, but most people don't want to spend that much and the compression, mids, and fixed amount of low end cut of the TS-type pedals does the job.

Wow, lots of cool info here. I just looked up the Timmy, sounds great. I like that the Timmy has and and treble cuts, can it also boost the mids?

Rayan22

Coat of Arms UAE
Reaction score
Simple dude. Get the Keeley modified Ibanez Ts9 Mod+. I have one of these and a Keeley modified Ts9DX and they both sound phenomenal... much more bass response, and the gold wiring really does make a world of difference. You end up getting a much punchier sound and the blue LED light alongside your other pedals make you feel special hahaha :p

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Simple dude. Get the Keeley modified Ibanez Ts9 Mod+. I have one of these and a Keeley modified Ts9DX and they both sound phenomenal... much more bass response, and the gold wiring really does make a world of difference. You end up getting a much punchier sound and the blue LED light alongside your other pedals make you feel special hahaha :p

The only thing the Keeley mod+ lacks is the internal 9v to 18v DC-DC converter mod. Might not be desired for every situation (rig), but for active and high output passives it prevents any unwanted clipping within the pedal while still thickening the mids.
Keeley mods greatly improve the normal ts9 series 4sure.

Mickey

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Timmy. Other options include the Fulltone OCD(more suited for higher gain?), used Klon, modded Keeley TS9, Lovepedal Eternity or Analogman KOT(although the year and a half wait renders this void). What do you guys think? Would it be beneficial stacking the Timmy with a a tubescreamer type pedal? My amp is pretty high gain so I don't know if I would need a tubescreamer, just something to tighten it up.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
I do prefer the GT-OD to the TS-9, whilst it's not quite as beefy sounding, it was a fair bit tighter sounding (more cut in the sub bass range, a little more boost in the higher midrange and it got rid of more fizziness) and it had way more clarity. They both added noise, of course, and I think the MXR did have a little less. The amp I tried it with was a Dual Recto. The Green Rhino still gets my vote though. It's clear, tight, BIG sounding and super tweakable. The new MXR custom badass OD looks very interesting too, though. It seems to have taken ideas from sister company Way Huge, and it's in a way smaller casing.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
check out the new mojo mojo from tc electronics, fairly priced and has true bypass

I tried one, it was absolutely shit as a boost. This was because it was so transparent that it in fact made the sound less tight and aggressive

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Timmy. Other options include the Fulltone OCD(more suited for higher gain?), used Klon, modded Keeley TS9, Lovepedal Eternity or Analogman KOT(although the year and a half wait renders this void). What do you guys think? Would it be beneficial stacking the Timmy with a a tubescreamer type pedal? My amp is pretty high gain so I don't know if I would need a tubescreamer, just something to tighten it up.
Again dude most of the pedals these guys are recommending just add gain where the purpose of a tubescreamer isn't to add gain but to tighten the low end (gain-0 tone anywhere from half to maxed and level maxed.

I think the pedal that has the biggest effect I have heard is the TS9 where the ts808 isn't as aggressive.

Oh by the way, kirk hammet of metallica uses the TS9 for leads.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Stock used Ibanez TS7 or TS9 (same circuit, different box.) Drive off, Level at unity, tone to taste. $30-80 for one in good shape.

You don't want "transparent." You don't want "adds bottom end back."

You want "cuts sub lows and focuses my tone to TEAR YOUR FACE OFF." You don't need to add gain since your amp has plenty of that; you just want the way that the TS tightens up the low end and high treble and makes an amp punch and snarl.

Also, you don't *need* true bypass. The buffer in those pedals is incredibly transparent, and the signal doesn't "pop" when switched on like all but the most expensive true bypass OD pedals.

')