Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
Early Metallica was done with modified Marshalls and a RAT pedal for James and a Tube Screamer for Kirk, hence my recommendation of them, based on what you said you play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I really want another OD pedal but I can't decide between them!! I want a keeley modded ts9dx flexi, ocd, maxon od9 pro+, etc. I really dont know!!!

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I really want another OD pedal but I can't decide between them!! I want a keeley modded ts9dx flexi, ocd, maxon od9 pro+, etc. I really dont know!!!
If your using an OD to boost your head I don't recommend anything keeley modded because his mods are mainly to get better overdrive tones not to boost.

Like I said to the OP, od9 pro if you want the best, ts9 cheaper, ts7 cheapest.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
If your using an OD to boost your head I don't recommend anything keeley modded because his mods are mainly to get better overdrive tones not to boost.

I'm using a carvin legacy so I'm sort of looking for a better OD tone. My Suhr Shiba drive can do both pretty well but I am sort of wanting a ts type boost.

Mickey

Reaction score

I went with the OD9 Pro+ :) Probably get a Timmy or new Klon(when they become available) later on but don't think it's needed as of yet as I don't really play blues.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I went with the OD9 Pro+ :) Probably get a Timmy or new Klon(when they become available) later on but don't think it's needed as of yet as I don't really play blues.
Have you tried it yet?

My goal is to own a od9 pro, the doomsday device AND a keeley modded mt-2 metal zone :lol:

Its weird you still need a boost for a 4000$ amp from an amp brand known for being ridiculously compressed and tight, which channel are you using? the channel 4 on that amp has like 10x times the distortion metallica and megadeth use, in fact I bet channel 2 has the amount of gain they used back then.

Mickey

Reaction score
Have you tried it yet?

My goal is to own a od9 pro, the doomsday device AND a keeley modded mt-2 metal zone :lol:

Its weird you still need a boost for a 4000$ amp from an amp brand known for being ridiculously compressed and tight, which channel are you using? the channel 4 on that amp has like 10x times the distortion metallica and megadeth use, in fact I bet channel 2 has the amount of gain they used back then.

Nah, I just ordered it. In Australia it's VERY hard to get your hands on good products at brick and mortar stores. Pretty much all my guitars(ESP's), amps, cabs, pedals were purchased from the US or Europe. I mainly use channel 3. I haven't messed around with channel 2 that much but it is more of a crunch channel. However with a boost/OD, it probably could do 80's Metallica lol.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Crunch channel rhythm tones >>> lead channel rhythm tones.

This goes for 5150s, Engls, Framuses, and many other similar 3-channel heads.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Nah, I just ordered it. In Australia it's VERY hard to get your hands on good products at brick and mortar stores. Pretty much all my guitars(ESP's), amps, cabs, pedals were purchased from the US or Europe. I mainly use channel 3. I haven't messed around with channel 2 that much but it is more of a crunch channel. However with a boost/OD, it probably could do 80's Metallica lol.
Well 80's metallica is the only GOOD metallica anyways.

Mickey

Reaction score
Crunch channel rhythm tones >>> lead channel rhythm tones.

This goes for 5150s, Engls, Framuses, and many other similar 3-channel heads.

I will experiment with the crunch channel. However it does need some kind of boost/OD as it is pretty light/faint as of now.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I will experiment with the crunch channel. However it does need some kind of boost/OD as it is pretty light/faint as of now.

Have you noticed the high gain switches and stuff? the mega low punch button should make that amp a MONSTER.

Mickey

Reaction score
Have you noticed the high gain switches and stuff? the mega low punch button should make that amp a MONSTER.

Yeh, I was using that on the Lead I channel lol. I always thought crunch channel was just for bluesy stuff. Like I said, my last amp was just a practice solid state, so this was a big jump for me. A lot to learn :)

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Hey guys can you give me a bit more info on the Way Huge Green Rhino?
I'm quite interested in picking one up because of the extra versatility it offers over conventional TS pedals. I'm looking at putting it through ch2 of my 5150iii.

Shor

Reaction score
Hey guys can you give me a bit more info on the Way Huge Green Rhino?
I'm quite interested in picking one up because of the extra versatility it offers over conventional TS pedals. I'm looking at putting it through ch2 of my 5150iii.
What are you wondering about?
It's your standard Overdrive pedal with Volume, Gain, Tone but what makes it really awesome is the 100Hz cut/boost and the mid curve knob.
Mid curve pretty much goes from a happy or sad looking eq. I tend to not bother too much with this one though.
100Hz cut/boost is the best thing on it in my opinion. Either cut slightly for rhythm stuff if your guitar is a bit too bassy (I cut quite a bit on my 8-string to get a much clearer tone for instance), or boost it a bit for fatter leads. Ooor...just twist and turn to wherever you think it sounds best...
All the knobs combined gives you a ton of options.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, it is a basic Tubescreamer type pedal... but the 100hz knob lets you dial in super fatness, and the curve knob takes a bit off the highs.

But, overall, what grabbed my attention is it has tons of volume output which gives it this overall "big" feel to it. All Tubescreamers do the cut lows/highs boost mids thing, but only certain ones have that certain dynamic big feel to them, and this is one of the ones that does. I want to get one and see if it makes me want to sell the other 5-6 boosts I have...

skeeballcore

Reaction score
I like the feel that a tube screamer type pedal gives you, but in front of my 5150ii it seems to take all the raw low end out of it. I've tried bad monkey, green screamer, and considering Ice 9 if anyone has any opinion on it, or something that will give the attack but not take the girth.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I like the feel that a tube screamer type pedal gives you, but in front of my 5150ii it seems to take all the raw low end out of it. I've tried bad monkey, green screamer, and considering Ice 9 if anyone has any opinion on it, or something that will give the attack but not take the girth.

That's kind of the point though. That "raw low end" just really makes it muddy in a band mix as you end up fighting with the bassist and the kick.

Jzbass25

Reaction score

Liked the ice 9, especially the look but the levels were a little low and there was something that didn't jive with my carvin legacy tonewise. It was a damn sexy pedal though, I just want all of satch's pedals to put on display lol. Give it a try though, also I agree with the others the TS is suppose to take some of that low end out.

')