Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Big thanks to the guys who recommended the way huge rhino. Ive now ordered one and also got a mxr smart gate too. Good times ahead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmachine

Reaction score
i dont own it but i have played the green rhino. awsome overdrive. i just ordered the amptweaker tight boost. i am exited about it.

so how is the rhino working out?

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get either...

a maxon od808, a maxon od9 pro+ or, an mxr custom badass modified od

which one should I get?

Aurochs34

SDMF, mofos
Reaction score
Admittedly I just kind of skimmed through this thread, but did no one recommend an OCD? Man, for these exact purposes that and the cmatmods signa drive are the shit IMO.

The Rhino will be amazing though! Hope it works out :yesway:

[EDIT: Hope the OD9 works out! :) ]

Last edited:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get either...

a maxon od808, a maxon od9 pro+ or, an mxr custom badass modified od

which one should I get?

for what i have experience with i'd say the OD808, the tone uses the same gain of you amp when used as a boost, so no added grit but still tigthen shit up for the low end gives you the mid boost.

on the other hand the versatility of the badass is tempting, having not only the usual tone, volume and gain, but having the 100hz boost/cut plus mid bump is kinda hard to pass up

my thoughts, get the badass, try it out extensively and if you don't like it bring it back ro sell it and get the 808

hope the badass is atleast someone in the same ball park tone wise as the green rhino, that pedal is the boss

Koop

Reaction score
I have a Green Rhino and a Maxon OD808. If you want an ultra-tight, clinical sounding boost, get the Rhino. I had the output at 10:00 and it was plenty tight for me, but I personally like the Maxon a bit more because it's more transparent.

Reaction score
get the maxon 808 and be done with it..

wakjob

Reaction score
I got a box full of OD pedals.

Best clean boost I've come across.....

MID hump = maxon 808

Flat = Voodoo sparkle drive & Xotic BB preamp ( the little one )

But seriously? I have two Engl's, and neither of them respond all that great to 'clean boosting'. They just don't seem to need them. tight tight tight are the Engl's.

I mean it does work. It just retracks something I can quite put my finger on in the over all sound.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
get the maxon 808 and be done with it..

I love my BB MB, but just for fun I picked up a Maxon OD808 the other day... while the BB MB is far more tweakable, the OD808 is seriously plug and play magic. Believe the hype.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I have a Green Rhino and a Maxon OD808. If you want an ultra-tight, clinical sounding boost, get the Rhino. I had the output at 10:00 and it was plenty tight for me, but I personally like the Maxon a bit more because it's more transparent.

how do you set your rhino?

Shask

Reaction score
I got a Green Rhino tonight :hbang: I have tons of Tubescreamer type pedals, but there really is something about this pedal. It definitely has a more dynamic feel to it than some.

I want to get a Maxon OD808 also though. I don't know how different it is from the Rhino. I do have an 808 modded TS-7 that I have heard is pretty close.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I've just noticed the maxon vop-9 has anyone used this as a clean boost?

is it better than the maxon od808?

Haven't used it, but it's essentialy just an od-820 in a cooler housing.
Very close to od9 pro+, except without the mid-humping(808 style) option.

Having the mid-humping option, but being able to do it at 18v is the beauty of the pro+.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
Haven't used it, but it's essentialy just an od-820 in a cooler housing.
Very close to od9 pro+, except without the mid-humping(808 style) option.

Having the mid-humping option, but being able to do it at 18v is the beauty of the pro+.

does the vop-9/od-820 boost mids and cut lows?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score

BabUShka

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my DIY $15 TS9. It sounds really awesome for boosting shit out of tube amps. I bet you'll be happy with whatever you get, Maxon or Ibanez TS9/808.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
most overdrive pedals sound almost the same when you use them as a boost..... even Ola Englund said it himself. Just get yourself a 'decent' od pedal. maxon, ibanez and mxr are good choices

skeeballcore

Reaction score
most overdrive pedals sound almost the same when you use them as a boost..... even Ola Englund said it himself. Just get yourself a 'decent' od pedal. maxon, ibanez and mxr are good choices

I'll go ahead and say that this isn't true completely. I've had a Green Screamer, a Bad Monkey, an Ice 9 , and a Boss SD-1 to boost my 5150ii. None sound the same. Respectively they were very bright, fairly middle of the road and noisy at times, bland, and really awesome but really added to the fizz in the amp.

Shask

Reaction score
I disagree also. They may sound similar, but not the same. Some boosts just work better with different amps and pickups.

')