Which overdrive for metal??

• Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Also going for the similar but different angle here, when OD's are used as boosts there are plenty that sound almost exactly the same, they do on a sound spectrum differ, but to the human ear, unless you are extremely pitch sensitive, won't hear the difference. but there are OD's that when used as boosts have favourable chracteristics. i found the OD808 to actually be one fo those pedals, it adds a character that most run of the mills won't.

the Green rhino does the boost thing and takes it a step further

alot do the same thing and sound the same, but there are those out there that do something spetacular. sadly it also depends on what amp and cab you are put the boost infront of

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
I believe Andy Sneap uses the OD820 to record pretty much every band he's produced a record for.

[EDIT]

I still think the Green Rhino rules though, the extra knobs make it perfect for fat lead boosting as well as surgically tight clean boosting for 'djenting'. Even without them, I'd take it over the TS9 and TS808; with all knobs set noon, it sounds clearer, tighter and chunkier. A bit like the GT-OD, which I also prefer to the TS pedals. Haven't tried any of the Maxon ones, but the list of players of use them is quite the statement.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
is that a yes or a no?

(I've never heard anything by Andy Sneap except for a drum track in one of Ola Englund's songs :scratch: :lol:)

[EDIT]

I'm not sure about the green rhino because, as much as I like tweaking, I feel like there to much to tweak for an OD pedal... I wouldn't know how much bass to cut, etc.

how would I set a green rhino for ultra tight djenting?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
is that a yes or a no?

(I've never heard anything by Andy Sneap except for a drum track in one of Ola Englund's songs :scratch: :lol:)

[EDIT]

I'm not sure about the green rhino because, as much as I like tweaking, I feel like there to much to tweak for an OD pedal... I wouldn't know how much bass to cut, etc.

Easiest place to start with anything is to set knobs to noon.

for boosting you want gain at zero at first. tone, volume, bass boost/cut at noon and same with mid shape knob.

make sure your amp is tweak to your liking first, you just want to use the pedal to enhance your tone.

if you feel it need more volume turn the volume from noon up to where you desire. if you feel it needs s alittle something character wise turn the tone knob up or down depending, this is where you start to get a feel for what you like. next you tweak the bass boost/cut to your liking, if your amp lacks balls, boost it, if your lows are boomy cut them, too much and your in thin sounding territory, too much and your gunna geta boomy mess. once you have the right amount of desired bass. next you can play with the curve shape and see where this takes you. it's advertised to cut certain high frequencies above 6khz. i left it at noon.

here you can either leave the gain at zero or turn it up a little to add some grit. either use it to supplement your amps gain or turn your amps gain back a bit and ad more to your pedal. i wouldn't go much higher then 9 o'clock for gain, especailly if you like the gain of your amp already, this goes for lots of 5150's and rectos.

you might even come back and tweak the tone knob again after playing around with the gain, bass and curve knobs to get where you want it.

again great pedal and it def is a must have for boosters that want a bit more out of their pedals

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score

The mid frequency doesn't do a whole lot, I mean it does make a difference but not a night and day change if you go from zero to 10 with it.

The bass on it you just play around with. Leave it at noon for no change, about 25% for a ts type reduction. Or if you need some phat low end nudge it up to 75% or so.

Tone at noon. Barely any gain and volume as needed to push your amp.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
I actually don't 'own' the Green Rhino yet; but I probably have as much experience with it as most who own it. My local Guitar shop rules :hbang:
I set the Drive 0, tone 2:00, Volume 1:00, 100hz 9:00, mid knob 9:00 (it seems to be more metallic sounding with the knob lower).

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
so, the green rhino is tighter than a maxon od808 even with 100hz at 12:00.

I found that an mxr gt-od is tighter than my ts7 through my amp (I don't own the gt-od but have played one extensively through my amp) I liked it more than my ts7 (well, it is twice the price :lol:)

how does the gt-od compare to the green rhino?

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
Having compared a TS-9 to a Green Rhino on my setup, I felt that the TS-9 was more suited to a "djent" type of sound. The Rhino is unbelievable, but it has a very warm ballsy (almost loose) tone, even when you dial out the bass on the 100hz control. Now, I was looking for a thicker sound, and the Rhino nailed it for me. The TS-9 had a colder, tighter sound that I tend to associate with djent styles.

djinn314

Reaction score
I've seen things be used as far as the Boss BD-2 to the typical tube screamer pedals. I'd go that way, but I wouldn't hesitate from trying something different.

Angus Clark

Reaction score
Having compared a TS-9 to a Green Rhino on my setup, I felt that the TS-9 was more suited to a "djent" type of sound. The Rhino is unbelievable, but it has a very warm ballsy (almost loose) tone, even when you dial out the bass on the 100hz control. Now, I was looking for a thicker sound, and the Rhino nailed it for me. The TS-9 had a colder, tighter sound that I tend to associate with djent styles.

Really? I found the Green Rhino could get tighter than TS-9 with minor fiddly widdlying around.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
what is the mxr gt-od like compared to maxon od808 and ibanez ts808?

most people who have both the ts808 and maxon od808 seems to prefer the ts808

also, what does the maxon vop9/od820 sound like compared with the od808 as a boost

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
I bought the maxon od9 pro+ after reading this thread. Sort of got the impression that it is one of the better pedals, and yeah it goes pretty good.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
Really? I found the Green Rhino could get tighter than TS-9 with minor fiddly widdlying around.

It might just be my amp. I'm gonna try your settings and see what happens. I usually run it with drive at 0, volume at 2:00, tone at noon, 100 hz at 10:00, and mids at noon.

Shask

Reaction score
Yesterday I spent some time comparing my Green Rhino and 808 modded TS-7 (Which I have heard is very similar to the Maxon OD808). I eventually got them almost identical by having the level about 2 oclock, gain at minimum, tone about 2-3 oclock, 100hz about 10 oclock, and curve about 2 oclock, The hardest part was that the Rhino had a lot more high end presence that was hard to deal with, making the amp sound kind of ratty. It was a trick to get it to be there, without getting way more muffled than the TS-7.

I don't have a GT-OD, but I have a Classic OD, which is the $30 version. This pedal is more like a fuller Boss SD-1. The Boss pedals are typically brighter, crunchier, and not as smooth. Today I want to compare this with my Rhino and see what differences I can find.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
what is the mxr gt-od like compared to maxon od808 and ibanez ts808?

most people who have both the ts808 and maxon od808 seems to prefer the ts808

also, what does the maxon vop9/od820 sound like compared with the od808 as a boost

I have both the gt-OD and the maxon 808. My GT is switched to zw mode right now, but honestly that hardly changes the sound of the pedal at all. Anyways, the 808 cuts less bass, lets more harmonic overtones through and has gobs more output. With the level of the MXR dimed, it's around the same as the 808 at noon.

Here are my conclusions (tone wise):

Right now I have the MXR as my boost and the 808 as a traditional OD to dirty up my clean channel. The MXR lets me run my amp unboosted at a moderate gain (my favorite tone), and with the stomp of a button I get launched into super-metal land. I could not do this with the 808 because I would have to turn the gain SO low on my amp to compensate for the higher output of the pedal that the tone falls right apart when unboosted. The downside to this setup though is that I find that my vast army of guitars sound almost identical to one another when I'm running my amp boosted, and I hate that. It's the reason I've ripped out almost all my active pickups.

If I was only going to be using the all-metal-all-the-time sound, I would probably run the 808 with fubar amp settings. It's such a great pedal, so musical.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen things be used as far as the Boss BD-2 to the typical tube screamer pedals. I'd go that way, but I wouldn't hesitate from trying something different.
I had a friend who use to use a modded BD2 as a boost and it was pretty amazing sounding.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get a maxon od9 because, I tried a ts9 and liked it. The maxon is cheaper, better build and true bypass (I don't really care about true bypass :lol:).

the od9 is pretty much the same as the ts9, right? (I heard somewhere it is closer to the ts808 :scratch:)

Latest posts

')